Treating protein overload

rubyslippersrubyslippers Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi Curlies,

Could anyone give me some advice please? I've totally killed my curls by using a deep conditioner, leave-in, styler and sealant all containing protein. It was couple of months before I realised this was making my hair worse not better. Now it looks like straw and feels bone dry, even after I've been standing under the shower for ten minutes!

Could anyone give me some suggestions for how to treat the damage I've caused and suggest some products I could use on it just now?(preferably available in the UK please). I think I'm a 3b low-porosity curly.

Thanks. :smile:

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Clarify a few times with a sulfate containing, but silicone free shampoo. Maybe actually do the rinse and repeat. Then moisture, moisture, moisture. I'd stay away from coconut oil, that can act like protein.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • yellowmafiayellowmafia Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I feel your pain! When it happened to me, the only thing that fixed it was Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. I know this product is not CG friendly, but it works wonders and it is super affordable.
    3b, low porosity, high density.

LP: Devacurl Low Poo, Camille Rose Naturals Ginger Rince
    CW: DC No Poo Decadence.
    RO: DC One Condition Decadence, Camille Rose Naturals Moroccan Pear
    DC:  Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, SM Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab.
    Protein: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Extreme.
    Leave-in: KCKT.
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Gel, Aussie Freeze.
    Once a month I clarify with any sulfate shampoo at hand
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The gal who writes the Science-y Hair Blog says to add some oil to your rinse-out conditioner. I think she said to add up to one-third of the whole mixture (i.e., the oil would comprise one-third of the oil-conditioner mixture). I would do a deep treatment with that, with heat to lift up the cuticle.

The other thing you could do is to put some oil on your dry hair several hours before your next wash, as a preshampoo. As curlyamaryllis said, I would avoid coconut oil. You could use olive oil instead. Oil will not remove the protein, but it will make the hair shaft more flexible.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The gal who writes the Science-y Hair Blog says to add some oil to your rinse-out conditioner. I think she said to add up to one-third of the whole mixture (i.e., the oil would comprise one-third of the oil-conditioner mixture). I would do a deep treatment with that, with heat to lift up the cuticle.

The other thing you could do is to put some oil on your dry hair several hours before your next wash, as a preshampoo. As curlyamaryllis said, I would avoid coconut oil. You could use olive oil instead. Oil will not remove the protein, but it will make the hair shaft more flexible.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • rubyslippersrubyslippers Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone, I think most of my products contain coconut oil because I like the smell, so I need to buy some new ones while I'm out xmas shopping today. I've tried clarifying several times, but it doesn't seem to be working, so I might try the 3 minute miracle stuff with some oil and see how I get on. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again. x
  • curladdycurladdy Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had this problem a couple weeks ago after I deep treated with protein because I'm dumb. LOL. I did a mask with avocado and olive oil and slept in it. It did irritate my scalp, but helped a little. I used KCKT conditioner (no protein) and KCCC (no protein) and stayed away from anything else with protein and it passed.
    Fine and low density 2C whirly wavy, hoping to push into 3A with Curly Girl Method - recommitted to curly girl 2017

Current Products (Experimenting Always)
    Wash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle or Devacurl Delight Low Poo
    Condish: Devacurl Delight One Condition or KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream (looking for something similar without glycerin)... playing with minuscule amounts of Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Not a fan of gels, but trying: KCCC and Miss Jessie's Jelly Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file