Finally feel like I am getting a routine down!

kellekkellek Posts: 16Registered Users
Huzzah! I finally feel like I am getting a GG routine down. Unfortunately it involves diffusing, but that gives me the most banging results.

This look brought to you by:

Tresemee Botanique (cowash, condish, and leave in), Curl Keeper, and Jelly Soft Curls. Scrunch with hands, scrunch with microfiber towel, plop as long as I can get away with, then diffuse. All in all it took about an hour.

Questions
1: is there a finishing spray that I can use to help with hold/longevity?
2: is there a heat protector I can use that is CG approved?
:angel9:Curly Girl Newbie - started 9/7/2016
2a/2b, fine texture, medium density

Current Routine
Low Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Shampoo
Conditioner: Giovanni 50/50 Conditioner
Stylers: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper/KY Lube, ISO BOuncy Curls, Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls, Herbal Essence Body Envy Mousse, LA Looks gel (working out the right combo)

Comments

• kellekkellek Posts: 16Registered Users
    And this is a few hours later. Sigh. It never stays. Any suggestions?

Current Routine
    Stylers: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper/KY Lube, ISO BOuncy Curls, Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls, Herbal Essence Body Envy Mousse, LA Looks gel (working out the right combo)
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The only thing I can think of is maybe your products are weighing your hair down? And maybe not providing enough hold?

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • kellekkellek Posts: 16Registered Users
    What are some lightweight products that will provide lasting hold? I am really digging the Curl Keeper, it had been helping a lot. Maybe a mousse with it instead if gel? What is a good high hold weightless mousse?

Current Routine
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's what works for me: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray. It's all natural and a little goes a long way. It gives me serious hold. My curls stay intact until the next time I wash my hair, even over a week later. As for a mousse with good hold, there's Sweet Curls Elixirs Foam. You can have her add PVP if you want yet more hold. I know there are more out there, but I've only had personal experience with natural products.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wonder if you might like the Tresseme Perfectly Undone mousse? I found it very lightweight. It seemed to work but I prefer some cruch to my hair. It helps me keep my hands out if it.
    BTW, you hair looks really nice. I like the color and you have some nice shine going.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    Oh yes and also, you may want to try a protein treatment. I use gelatin. Without it (at least periodically) my curls fall limp, and even fall out of my hair. Also, for me personally, it seems that when my hair gets too long the curl pulls out more easily. Shorter hair helped my curl be a lot stronger. Everyone is different though; some do better with more length.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    kellek wrote: »
    My curls fall out unless I use a hard hold gel. Currently using a "squirt" of Giovanni Direct Leave-In mixed with a "glob" of LA Looks Extreme Sport gel. You might need to low poo instead of cowash. You seem to like natural products, which I understand. That's all I used until my gel of like 6 years was discontinued - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (pectin based gel). After much experimenting, LA Looks Sport gives me the most similar results. I also get decent 2nd & 3rd day hair w/minimal touch up.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil
    kellek wrote: »
    My curls fall out unless I use a hard hold gel. Currently using a "squirt" of Giovanni Direct Leave-In mixed with a "glob" of LA Looks Extreme Sport gel. You might need to low poo instead of cowash. You seem to like natural products, which I understand. That's all I used until my gel of like 6 years was discontinued - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (pectin based gel). After much experimenting, LA Looks Sport gives me the most similar results. I also get decent 2nd & 3rd day hair w/minimal touch up.

And I should add, my hair is easily weighed down & diffusing is necessary, so LALSG shouldn't weigh your hair down. I don't plop at all. I have to start diffusing right away after applying products.

CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    naturecat wrote: »
    Here's what works for me: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray. It's all natural and a little goes a long way. It gives me serious hold. My curls stay intact until the next time I wash my hair, even over a week later. As for a mousse with good hold, there's Sweet Curls Elixirs Foam. You can have her add PVP if you want yet more hold. I know there are more out there, but I've only had personal experience with natural products.
    How are you using the hair spray? Like traditional hair spray after hair is dry & styled or are you mixing it in as a styling product while hair is wet? This stuff sounds great!

CG since 2009. Fine 2C

naturecat wrote: »
    How are you using the hair spray? Like traditional hair spray after hair is dry & styled or are you mixing it in as a styling product while hair is wet? This stuff sounds great!

I'm using it as both actually. I use it for the SMasters Method (apply some to hair before it is dried, keep diffusing), and some after I SOTC when dry.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file