Curls to waves?

electrobankelectrobank Posts: 2Registered Users
My hair goes between tight, frizzy ring curls and nice, defined waves. On a good day my hair looks like Bradley Cooper from the Hangover. On a not so good day it looks like him from American Hustle. I'm a male, and prefer the Bradley Cooper Hangover style for sure.

When it gets really curly there's nothing I can do to fix it. Any product I put in it is just absorbed by my hair, nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyone have any recommendations on any products and/or techniques that can give me long wavy hair, instead of out of control curls. Would a certain kind of cut help too?

Thanks

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the hair from both of those films are completely different and you would be best trying to identify your hair type so you can find a way to make your hair look the way you want to via working with what you have. You'll be BC from movie one in no time.
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to agree:). Work with what YOU have and make it look the best possible by learning as much as you can.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As if I'd turn down either version of Bradley Cooper, lol.

Life is better when you accept your hair that grows from your head. What you're doing right now is normal, though. We curlies spend our lives wishing for perfect, i.e. straight, hair. So when we switch to curly, we transfer that envy to types of curls we don't have. People with waves want curls, people with curls want waves or tighter curls. Eventually, you learn to love your own hair, as it is.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    Oh how true that is! My idea of "perfect" hair is when I see pictures of girls with thick, super voluminous 3c curls. I get such hair/curl envy! But, I don't have that. I have medium density 3b curls, which like to flatten out at the top .... oh well, right? Can't change it, so I have to work with it :)

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh how true that is! My idea of "perfect" hair is when I see pictures of girls with thick, super voluminous 3c curls. I get such hair/curl envy! But, I don't have that. I have medium density 3b curls, which like to flatten out at the top .... oh well, right? Can't change it, so I have to work with it :)

And Annie, your hair is my idea of perfect hair. Seriously, every time you post a new avatar photo, I get major hair envy.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    double post

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Thank you for that, Naturecat :). I love your hair, and all the cool/natural stuff you come up with

• SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
    Honestly, if you want waves you can try using heavier products like butters. I'm now able to use shea moisture products with good results, but I only use a tiny amount because I want curls. If I wanted it to be wavy, I'd just use shea moisture as directed. Leaves my hair super soft but it does stop the curls from popping as much. You can also try stretching your hair while its wet with clips and letting it dry with them in. Or you can comb your wet/damp hair with product in like a cream and let it dry that way. Its all trial and error with each one of us.

Type: 3a | NP | med-fine but high den | bob
    NP: Deva NP, DC low poo, ACV rinses
    RO: Deva 1 Cond orig or decadence
    DC: DC HIC, SM JBCO mask
    LI: 1 Cond, B'leavin
    Styler: Deva SPC or reg SC
    Gels: DC LDG, Bouncecurl
    Refresh: water w Lavender oil.
    Scalp: Lav/jojoba/rosem/pep oils.
    Airdry, wait 30 mins before diffusing.
    Loves a little protein in stylers! Hates heavy stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file