2b, c or 3a?

DeltaOrionisDeltaOrionis Posts: 27Registered Users
Opened topic about bobs on 2B hair a few minutes back and just realised I've no idea if in fact my hair is 2B. This is a year old pic, and it definitely looked curlier here. This was probably crunched to hell after the wash too, and it looks 2C/3A? But it'll easily fall a lot flatter the next day, frizzier too.

Anyway - sorry about the ramble - any ideas what type I have?
http://imgur.com/a/HqsVL

Thanks!
2C/3A Med/High Porosity/ Medium Density/

Faith in Nature Aloe Vera shampoo+conditioner
or JĀSÖN Aloe Vera shampoo+conditioner
Miaflora Argan Oil, Toni&Guy Sea Salt Texturising Spray

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can't see the picture in your post, but based on your avatar, 2B seems about right.

I know what you mean about changing day to day, though. Depending on weather, what product I use and, I dunno, phases of Mercury or something, I can easily be from barely a 2C up to a strong 3A verging on 3B.

I'm of the opinion now that I'll need to get an entire head of virgin hair that's been treated very well to see what my real pattern is.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • DeltaOrionisDeltaOrionis Posts: 27Registered Users
    Thanks @curlyamaryllis! Definitely 2B in the avatar, but something completely different in the linked pic (It's clickable, maybe you can see it now).
    I know what you mean about changing day to day, though. Depending on weather, what product I use and, I dunno, phases of Mercury or something, I can easily be from barely a 2C up to a strong 3A verging on 3B.
    Right? I wonder what is the point in determining hair type when it's really just up to planet alignments? :D

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The pic you posted is a definite 3a on bottom, curls not waves. In fact even tight curls, maybe more 3B/C. The top has less definition but my feeling is with the right products moisture etc your hair is quite curly.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Rachel.EasteRachel.Easte Posts: 2Registered Users
    I would say 3a. Looser curl patterns tend to get curlier as they get longer. You may need to clip your roots and use hard hold gel to see curls in shorter hair.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would say 2c to 3a. I agree with naturecat that with the right care, you will probably have lots of curls.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I would say 3a. Looser curl patterns tend to get curlier as they get longer. You may need to clip your roots and use hard hold gel to see curls in shorter hair.
    Thanks Rachel. Any suggestions on the hard hold gel?
    Also, not sure what you mean by clipping roots? :)

• StephC79StephC79 Posts: 99Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    2c, 3a in the attached pic. With more moisturising products you could possibly become 3a all over but going by your avatar pic it does look like you need length to get more curl.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
    StephC79 wrote: »
    2c, 3a in the attached pic. With more moisturising products you could possibly become 3a all over but going by your avatar pic it does look like you need length to get more curl.

The only thing that worked so far (in getting the roots to be curlier too) was beer. :D But my hair got used to it and it stopped working. So it's mostly flat on top in the last few years, regardless of length.

• StephC79StephC79 Posts: 99Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried protein treatments? That always perks up my curls and makes them bouncier. It is possible that the top layer is just wavier. My top layer while still very curly is not as curly as my underlayer which is tight spiral curls. The top layer just takes the brunt of the sun, cold, rain etc.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
    Woah, beer made your hair curlier?! I'll have to try that. I heard it was a great protein treatment and moisturizer combo. But increase in curls this is the first I heard. What type of beer did you use?

I do agree re: protein treatment. Gelatin is mine of choice (painful as it is, being a vegetarian otherwise). Nothing else works quite like it for me.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    double post.

3A/f/i
    naturecat wrote: »
    Woah, beer made your hair curlier?! I'll have to try that. I heard it was a great protein treatment and moisturizer combo. But increase in curls this is the first I heard. What type of beer did you use?

I do agree re: protein treatment. Gelatin is mine of choice (painful as it is, being a vegetarian otherwise). Nothing else works quite like it for me.

Hey, missed this one, sry!
    Yeah, beer is great! Any will do. The only problem is alcohol, since it probably will dry up the hair on the long run. But if you need a quick curl, I'd definitely recommend it. I think I tried with the non alcoholic beer too, but weirdly it didn't work as good. Basically you just spray the hair with it after the wash, scrunch it and leave it in. (It stops smelling once your hair's dry, but don't walk out in the rain lol!)

Thanks for all the tips, I'll definitely give protein treatment a try!

• NelekeNeleke Posts: 456Registered Users
    Steph...I do have a haircrush on you :D
    2c: fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, normal-high density
    CG since March 8th 2013
    Low Poo: Rainforest Radiance shampoo
    Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
    Styler: BRHG, Garnier Fructis Gel
    PT: Gliss Kur Repair & Volume

iherb.com: get a 5$ discount on orders under 40$ or a 10$ discount on orders over 40$ when you order for your first order by using the following discount code: CFH441

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file