Coconut oil makes my hair feel hard

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Does that mean my hair hates it?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Probably. It could also be that coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, so in colder weather, it can resolidify in your hair, which can lead to breakage.

There are other, lighter oils to try that are good for hair- olive oil, argan oil, etc.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    I would say you may just not be using it right.

It is great for deep conditioning as long as you wash it out.

If you want to put it on your hair to add shine, that is usually after you have done all the styling and have a leave-in conditioner underneath. It will make your hair feel stronger. It's not going to add moisture that isn't already there. So if you just put it on your hair you may be drying it out.

If you just want an oil that will feel softer, I would recommend almond or avocado oil. I use those for that purpose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe. Every time I have put straight pure coconut oil in my hair it has been a massive freaking disaster of hard brittle hair. That includes prepoo that I washed out. I can at times use it in formulation or mixed with an oil where the majority is not coconut. Once I use up some products I want to get to where I rarely use it at all.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file