Need a hair twin! 2C/3A, High Por, Thin

Jalley77Jalley77 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi All! I am brand new. I have been rocking my hair curly for years, but only for a few days here and there. I will straighten it most of the time. But I really want to embrace my curls and get them looking better and wear them every day. I want those long bouncy curls that you see! And straightening stunts it from growing. Curly keeps is healthier!

I "think" I have the following hair (I have googled too many times to be sure):

Type 2C/3A- all depends on the product and time of year
High porosity- this one was hard to determine. But I color my hair so I assume it is high.
Thin- pony tail is only like an inch or two around

I have been using AG Re-coil and that helps with curl definition, but I really want to start the CG method and I don't think that's approved.

My main problems are:
I don't know the order to use everything in! I want frizz control and definition and volume. Open to any products and process!
My hair is prone to getting sticky/greasy at the scalp if I use too much product on the root. If I don't, I get frizzy. Constant battle.
I diffuse my hair every morning as I HATE walking out with a wet head. Non negotiable! LOL
Every product I try makes my hair defined but also crunchy. I need to understand how to get rid of that crunch!

I have googled product after product and just don't know where to start.

So, hair twin....help me out!

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not only your hair twin, that picture could be a picture I took of my hair back in May, lol. Same length, same cut, same dye job.

How are you applying product? I've found that applying leave in and gel/creme* over soaking wet hair, scrunching with my hands, then scrunching with a t-shirt (use more gel/creme than you think you need to, you'll be taking some of it out with the t-shirt) helps with both frizz and greasy roots.

Sometimes my roots dry greasy looking, but gently rubbing them a little (with the tips of my fingers and only in one direction, like you would pet a very tiny kitten) gets rid of that.

There's also the issue that when you have dull bleached hair against shiny dark roots, the roots will look greasy even when they're not. I'm just growing out my bleach and living with it. I could color the bleached parts to match the roots, but I don't want to cover my greys, so I'm pretending I have a stylish root stretch.

So, my hair lurves it some protein. I've been adding a drop or two of Neutral Protein Filler to my leave in. You can also make a protein treatment out of gelatin, search "iagirl protein treatment" for the recipe. Moisture is a necessity, too. Deep condition often. Olive oil prepoos are life.

Styler-wise, Kinky Curly Curling Custard is my go to mid-range humidity styler. For high humidity, LA Looks Sports Gel (super cheap, available at most grocery stores) is fantastic. For low humidity, I've been using Devacurl's creme.

*Creme is too heavy for me unless the dew point is below 30, i.e., it's cold and dry out. Once it gets dry, my hair freaks out and goes frizzy and straight unless I step up the moisture with a creme.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ag Re: Coil is CG approved I believe.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ag Re: Coil is CG approved I believe.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Jalley77Jalley77 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Yay! I feel ya on the greasy roots. I am overdue for my touch up so this week it's super bad!

My routine has been this...

Wash with sulfate free shampoo- High porosity by SM
    Co-Wash SM High porosity conditioner. I rinse it all out.
    Comb through with a wide tooth comb in the shower. Flip hair upside down.
    Use a t shirt to get out excess water and scrunch.
    Add in kinky curly knot today leave in. Scrunch.
    Add in kinky curly custard. Scrunch.
    Add in LA Looks sport. Scrunch.

Sometimes I use the tshirt again to get rid of excess water, but usually I don't.
    Diffuse until mostly dry. Clip up my bangs.
    Do my makeup.
    Diffuse again, and Scrunch out the crunch.
    Sometimes I add in the deva curl set it free as a SOTC.
    Done.

On day two I have been spraying it with LI and water. No scrunching. Just air dry. My roots are not loving day two at all.

I am sure I am close to doing the right thing...just need to tweak it a little.

Suggestions?
  • Jalley77Jalley77 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Yay! I feel ya on the greasy roots. I am overdue for my touch up so this week it's super bad!

My routine has been this...

Wash with sulfate free shampoo- High porosity by SM
    Co-Wash SM High porosity conditioner. I rinse it all out.
    Comb through with a wide tooth comb in the shower. Flip hair upside down.
    Use a t shirt to get out excess water and scrunch.
    Add in kinky curly knot today leave in. Scrunch.
    Add in kinky curly custard. Scrunch.
    Add in LA Looks sport. Scrunch.

Sometimes I use the tshirt again to get rid of excess water, but usually I don't.
    Diffuse until mostly dry. Clip up my bangs.
    Do my makeup.
    Diffuse again, and Scrunch out the crunch.
    Sometimes I add in the deva curl set it free as a SOTC.
    Done.

On day two I have been spraying it with LI and water. No scrunching. Just air dry. My roots are not loving day two at all.

I am sure I am close to doing the right thing...just need to tweak it a little.

Suggestions?
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My roots don't get greasy for a few days but when I think they will start I have good luck with putting some kind of products on my canopy and ruffle my roots with some product and somehow it maybe sucks up the grease overnight. A lot of time I use CURLS Lavish Curls for this. I spray it in my hands, rub together and apply. By the time my roots are greasy I will wear it up for the day then.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • 1001waves1001waves Posts: 73Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hi hair twins!
    I am also a fan of Recoil and KCCC in any dews high or low. However with KCCC I have to diffuse or it will weigh my hair down and take extra hours to dry vs. normal air drying. If I use Arc Angel instead I can air dry after plopping but only in Spring or Fall dews due to the high glycerin. If your commute is long enough you can blast the heat in your car instead of blow drying. It's not quite as voluminous as a diffuser but it gets the job done if you're short on time. I read about it in the Curly Girl book and thought it was silly but was running late one day and tried it out. It's not my go-to but it beats running around with wet hair in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cherub 2c/3a Fii,porous
    Wash:KC Come Clean
    Condition/Leave-in:Devacurl Delight
    Styling:
    AG:Recoil
    Love:protein Hate:Garnier
    Experiment:henna glossing
    Mod CG since 7/22/09
  • Naturalista86Naturalista86 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Kinky curly custard is probably too heavy for your hair. Suggest trying a lighter gel and scrunching out with a light oil like a bit of jojoba.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file