I just found out I have curly/wavy hair at 27? What is my hair type? Help!

prettylushprettylush Posts: 2Registered Users
Well, I'm not completely surprised since I had curly/wavy hair as a child but even then my hair wasn't properly taken care of. Everyone in my family had straight hair or straight hair with a slight wave. I was very insecure about my hair from a very young age and constantly straightened it without heat protectant and even with a clothes iron (omg!). I succeeded in 'heat training' it aka damaging the crap out of it and shortly thereafter started to bleach and dye it throughout highschool. I dyed my hair darker than my natural for about 9 years and continued to apply heat to it (usually without heat protectant... ugh i know!).

Recenty I got fed up with dying my roots every 2-3 weeks and decided to go lighter so I could give my hair a much needed break. I used box dye over the years so it was incredibly difficult to lift the dark hair dye. Over the course of a few months I used various color removers and bleach applications. I am satisfied with the level of lift and I want to start taking better care of my hair.

I have become a lot more diligent in cutting down the use of heat styling (my goal is to stop completely for 6 months and I've been able to go several weeks-1.5 months) but if I do I make sure to use a heat protectant.

Ive been deep conditioning alot w/ aussie 3 min moist and trying different protein packs to see what works well for my hair.
I've done things like put coconut oil on my head and slept with it etc but I find that EVOO works better for me. I cowash and try to stay away from sulfates but I do clarify every 2 weeks or so. Ive been using some shea moisture hibiscus conditioner products and i think they work ok. I'm still not comfortable 100% wearing my hair out because it is dry and a lil frizzy and due to heat and chemical damage i have tight/deep waves esp at the root and then more straight pieces in the front and on top.

I plan to get a big haircut soon to cut off a lot of the damage but I would love some opinions on what my hair type is and what products will work well for me. I think im 2a/2b but I'm not sure. Nobody's hair looks like mine and I know that a lot of it is due to damage that altered my hair texture and pattern.

The pictures are my hair when it is about 80% dry/still damp with organix coconut milk, coconut curl cream from marc anthony and an argan oil.

Thank you!!!

Comments

• curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think you are going to be really surprised at how curly your hair actually is. My curl pattern is 3b, and your hair looks just like mine does when I use heavy products, and actually try to pull my curls straighter as they dry. I can tell that, if given the right techniques, products, and time, that your hair is going to be SUPER curly. I think your hair has just been straightened for so long, that it hasn't been allowed to curl up very much, and so it will curl more and more, if you just stay away from the straightener. I know, easier said than done, but youre already on your way :). Good luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree. I don't think you have waves, I think you have a fairly tight curl pattern. You should really look into getting Olaplex done, or doing Ion Color Perfector Step 1 and 2 at home. I would definitely go full Curly Girl if I were you, cut out sulfates and silicones and see what happens. You do need to give that some time to work, there can be a yucky frizzy adjustment period as you figure out what works and what doesn't, but it is worth it in the end.

Just a note: DO NOT trust websites on something being sulfate or silicone free. I've seen a few times now where things were labeled as being silicone free and there was a silicone in the ingredients. So always read ingredients just to be sure.

Oh, and behentrimonium methosulfate is not a sulfate, it's a nice moisturizing ingredient. People make that mistake a lot.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • prettylushprettylush Posts: 2Registered Users
    I think you are going to be really surprised at how curly your hair actually is. My curl pattern is 3b, and your hair looks just like mine does when I use heavy products, and actually try to pull my curls straighter as they dry. I can tell that, if given the right techniques, products, and time, that your hair is going to be SUPER curly. I think your hair has just been straightened for so long, that it hasn't been allowed to curl up very much, and so it will curl more and more, if you just stay away from the straightener. I know, easier said than done, but youre already on your way :). Good luck!

Interesting. Never even considered that but then again I've been using heat tools and straighteners on it forever thats been altering the state of my hair. I found it hard to relate to the hair typing charts because my 'waves' always seemed so much tighter/deeper than what I was seeing as examples for 2b/2c etc. especially at the roots.

Thank u for your reply I actually just threw out my straightener to resist the temptation! LOL!
    I agree. I don't think you have waves, I think you have a fairly tight curl pattern. You should really look into getting Olaplex done, or doing Ion Color Perfector Step 1 and 2 at home. I would definitely go full Curly Girl if I were you, cut out sulfates and silicones and see what happens. You do need to give that some time to work, there can be a yucky frizzy adjustment period as you figure out what works and what doesn't, but it is worth it in the end.

Just a note: DO NOT trust websites on something being sulfate or silicone free. I've seen a few times now where things were labeled as being silicone free and there was a silicone in the ingredients. So always read ingredients just to be sure.

Oh, and behentrimonium methosulfate is not a sulfate, it's a nice moisturizing ingredient. People make that mistake a lot.

Thank you for your reply :)

I'm googling everything as we speak haha. I've looked into the CG method before but kinda dismissed it based on the advice from a hairdresser. Ended up with a bunch of products I purchased from her that I'm looking at now and are filled with silicone :(

It's a bit overwhelming looking at ingredient lists but I'm realizing now that not everything is as it seems!

I'm gonna try some of these suggestions and hopefully in a few months I'll be able to see a bit of a difference.
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cool! Im gonna keep my eyes open for pics of your hair as it gets curlier. I just know they're gonna pop out. You even have curl up at the roots! I barely even have that. I hope you add some photos of it later :)

• ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    I just want to echo that going full curly girl - no poo or low poo & no silicones is really going to bring out your true curl pattern. Don't make it too complicated. I personally only avoid sodium/ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate & anything ending in cone or xane. I used to avoid polyquatermium, but I'm doing a little experimenting now. My hair went from slight wave to 2c/3a depending on the day.

Also DO NOT feel uncomfortable wearing your hair down. It has that beachy look that a lot of people try for. You can wear it mostly down w/bangs area pulled to the side or back.

As far as styling, you'll have to experiment whether you like to put products in soaking wet hair or hair w/excess water squeezed out w/a t-shirt. Also experiment w/raking, praying hands smoothing, scrunching or all 3 methods of applying product. Experiment w/air drying, plopping, clipping roots, or diffuser drying. You'll find what works best for you & settle into a routine.

Don't expect your curls to look perfectly in place like curling iron curls. I've been frustrated for years that I always have new growth hairs in my crown/halo area. No matter what I try, they're there. My last hair cut was w/a stylist who is trained & experienced in various curly hair techniques & she told me that's typical w/curly hair. So that helped me realized not to worry about it.

Looking forward to seeing your future pictures.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file