Where to start

AmandBhopetobecAmandBhopetobec Registered Users Posts: 4
I've been reading posts trying to figure out where to start. I read some where to really find out what your hair type is, it needs to be removed of all build up. What product do you all recommend? I'm thinking I'm a 2a/b. Up until my teenage years my hair was really curly with lots of gorgeous curls. Back then curly hair wasn't in, so I started straightening it. I've been straightening every since!! I want my curls back :( If I don't straighten it it's frizzy all over if I don't put some kind of gel or mouse in it. So where did everyone start first????

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    I honestly wouldn't bother with curl typing right now. For one thing, it's not really important, for another, with all the damage, you're not seeing your real curl pattern. It'll take time to recover your real curl pattern and you may have to grow out all the damage to really get it back.

What's more relevant is thickness of the individual strands of hair- fine, medium, coarse? Density- do you have little hair (thin), a ton of hair (thick) or in between? Porosity- your hair is damaged, so it's probably high porosity.

I have fine, thin, highly porous hair. I need to moisturize constantly and get as much protein in my hair as possible. I cannot, however, use heavy oils or butters on my hair, because it's fine and thin.

You will have to suffer some bad hair days at first. It takes time to learn how to care for your natural hair, but once you do, it's so totally worth it.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    I guess a good first step is to clarify with a good shampoo if you have been using silicones and then start from scratch with sulfate and silicone free products. There are SO many products that you can read about in the products section.

Devacurl does have an entire line dedicated to wavies. Might be a good place to start while you do more research.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • AmandBhopetobecAmandBhopetobec Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thank you for your help :) My hair sounds a lot like yours. It's fine, thin and I'm not sure about the pourous. But like you said I do have damage.... So like Savage girl said, I'm going to start from scratch and do some more reading.
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Hair like mine I can help with!

Olive oil. Just straight cooking oil. People swear by coconut oil, but fine, thin, damaged hair can't take an oil that's a solid at room temperature. The night before you wash, spread olive oil through your hair, but not on your scalp. You don't need your hair to be drippy, just a nice, thin coating. If your hair doesn't soak most of it up by morning, it's too much. The oil protects your hair from absorbing too much water during washing, known as hygral fatigue.

You need a leave in conditioner with protein. I add a drop or two of neutral protein filler to it. Then gel. Kinky curly curling custard is nice. LA Looks Sports Gel is my go to for high humidity. Apply to wet hair out of the shower, scrunch in the gel, then scrunch more with a t shirt. No towels! Air dry or diffuse.

Deep conditioning is very important. Stay off your roots, though, I get limp hair if I get a deep conditioner on my roots.

Also, try Ion Color Perfector. You can get single use step 1 and 2 from Sally's for $5 plus shipping. For a stand alone treatment, mix step 1 with 4 oz warm water, saturate hair, wait 20 minutes, rinse, do the rest as directed.

Good luck!
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • AmandBhopetobecAmandBhopetobec Registered Users Posts: 4
    So I do the olive oil the night before my first clarifying wash correct? I also did the stretch test and my hair stretches and doesn't return to its original shape. So I think I read that means it needs protein. The porosity test was just to difficult to determine so I'm just going to go with its really porous since I've done a lot of damage over the years. I'm going to start over the weekend..just in case it looks awful at first lol. Thanks curlyamaryillis!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file