What diffuser should I get?

I'm growing out my hair for the first time in my life, and I need to start blow drying. My hair is 3A/3B, fairly thick, and recently I've noticed that it takes 2-3 hours to dry completely. The other day someone at work asked if I had re-styled my hair at lunch because it looked so different in the morning (wet) and the afternoon (dry), and I figured that was a sign it's time to start blow drying.

My problem is that it's overwhelming to look at all the options out there. I've been looking at YouTube videos and so on, and I really like the idea of pixiecurling, but I just don't know how to pick a good diffuser. (I also don't own a blow dryer, so I'll need to buy one of those as well.)

If anyone can point me towards an affordable diffuser that'll get me started, I sure would appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Comments

• guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got my diffuser by buying a hairdryer at Walmart that included one. Seems to work fine and isn't too expensive. They also fit together which is something you might have to deal with if you bought a diffuser on its own.
  • ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    My diffuser came with my Revlon Ionic Pro 1875 watt hair dryer. It is the 2nd one I have bought. When it's time for a new hair dryer, I look over all the options, but I go back to it because the diffuser covers more surface area than most diffusers. I blow dry with my head upside down just moving around different sections & using the diffuser to scrunch up. Then I turn my head right side up & do the same thing. I tried the DevaCurl diffuser & was not impressed.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use a Revlon ionic 1875 (not sure if it's the same model as Shelley's), and it came with a diffuser. I really like the blowdryer, because there are three settings for heat (hot, warm, cool) and two settings for speed (high, low). The speed isn't so fast that it frizzes my hair out. I think I got mine at Walmart or Target.

The diffuser part is just OK. I do like that it has holes in the prongs so that the warm air can get to the roots; I think that's very important. But I don't like that the shape is pretty flat, so my hair can't sit inside the diffuser. This increases drying time for me.

A diffuser that many curlies and wavies have raved about is the Xtava Black Orchid. You may be able to find a post on it if you search the forum. The Polished Curl did a video review on her YouTube channel as well. I thought about buying it, but money is tight at the moment and so I'm making do with what I have. I haven't checked the price of the Xtava diffuser and blowdryer, but if memory serves, it wasn't horribly expensive.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use a Revlon ionic 1875 (not sure if it's the same model as Shelley's), and it came with a diffuser. I really like the blowdryer, because there are three settings for heat (hot, warm, cool) and two settings for speed (high, low). The speed isn't so fast that it frizzes my hair out. I think I got mine at Walmart or Target.

The diffuser part is just OK. I do like that it has holes in the prongs so that the warm air can get to the roots; I think that's very important. But I don't like that the shape is pretty flat, so my hair can't sit inside the diffuser. This increases drying time for me.

A diffuser that many curlies and wavies have raved about is the Xtava Black Orchid. You may be able to find a post on it if you search the forum. The Polished Curl did a video review on her YouTube channel as well. I thought about buying it, but money is tight at the moment and so I'm making do with what I have. I haven't checked the price of the Xtava diffuser and blowdryer, but if memory serves, it wasn't horribly expensive.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    Therese1, I didn't think about the fact that the diffuser is flat is making it take longer to dry my hair. When it's time for a new dryer, I'm definitely going to look for something my hair can sit inside. My roots take the longest to dry though, even though I usually spend some time putting the diffuser directly on my roots instead of scrunching the hair up. Very frustrating.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file