Ion Absolute Perfection (Olaplex Dupe) Review

curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I decided to try Ion's Olaplex dupe, Absolute Perfection Steps 1 and 2, because you can get the single use size of both steps for under $5 from Sally's.

A little googling showed me how to use it as a standalone treatment- shampoo, mix Step 1 with 4 oz of water, apply, wait 20 minutes, rinse, apply Step 2, wait 10 minutes, shampoo, condition and style as you normally would.

The good: It works. My bleach and heat damaged hair was softer, bouncier and had more defined curls. It feels stronger, too. I couldn't step touching my hair all day, it felt that much nicer. This didn't rinse out, either, my hair still feels nice after washing it a few times. It's CG friendly, no sulfates, no silicones.

The bad: The candy apple smell is nice at first and disgusting at the end. Just warning you.

Tips: Mix with 4 oz of warm water. Pouring cold water over my head wasn't pleasant. Have a shower cap and a towel ready for the wait, it's drippy.
CG since May 1, 2016
3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
at home gelatin PT
Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Comments

• piccadilly13piccadilly13 Curl Neophyte Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What exactly is it for?
    2c/3a, fine, high porosity
    curly since 4/2008, CG since 3/27/2016

cowash: as i am coconut cowash
    li: kckt
    styler: kccc, brhg
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Curl Connoisseur Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's designed to be mixed with color or bleach to prevent damage in process, but you can use it as a stand alone treatment, as well. It repairs disulfide bonds, so unlike protein or conditioning treatments, you can't overdo it. If there's no broken disulfide bonds to repair, it just won't do anything.

You can buy 12 treatments worth of steps 1 and 2 for 12.99, so I'm going to do that. I wasn't sure at first, but my hair definitely has more volume and bounce than it did before.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file