Can't stand my hair!

Lissa17Lissa17 Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi there! This is my first post here and I'm calling for help with my hair!

I have 2b/c hair that is a mix of waves, tight curls and parts that are almost straight. I like this mix of textures, but the problem with my hair is that it is always frizzy. I have a halo of frizz that goes from my roots to the ends of my hair, causing my curls and waves to lack definition and making me look like a crazy witch from a Disney movie!

Winters are very humid where I live and I can't have a good hair day in the winter. I repeat: not ONE SINGLE good hair day, as my hair is always crazy frizzy!

I haven't gone curly girl yet but I am considering it, as I've tried anything and everything on my hair and nothing seems to be working. I have a hair routine that consists of washing and conditioning (w/sulfates and silicones), using leave-in (w/cones as well) and spray-gel (CG approved), scrunching and plopping, then letting my hair air dry, sleep on a satin pillowcase, and deep conditioning once a week. On the day after I use a curling cream and oils (silicones again, I know). Maybe as a result of rotating throught products and trying so many new ones, my hair has been losing volume, and falling and breaking a lot more than usual.

Curly girl approved products are impossible to find on stores in my country, and I have a ton of silicone-full hair products lying around, but I'm willing to go cold turkey and ditch all this if CG really improves my hair. Right now I'm looking to try some Shea Moisture products as I can easily order them online, but I'm unsure about what lines to try (and I don't even have access to all of them).

My hair is long, healthy (never dyed it, don't use heat on it, never chemically treated it), low porosity (takes forever to dry, can't get products out of my hair when I deep condition), medium to coarse, and probably a 2b/c (would be happy to make it curlier).

Any tips to help me improve my hair?

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    I would try going curly girl. You also need to deep condition. There could be a silicone buildup, so clarify and then deep condition. Try applying leave in conditioner and gel over wet hair and then don't touch until it's dry. Do not use a towel, use an old t shirt.

Ingredients matter, too, beyond silicones and sulfate. My hair hates silicones, but it also hates glycerin. Application matters, too. I have to apply to wet hair. Applying to towel dried hair doesn't work for me.

You will have to try a few things to find what does and doesn't work for you. Once you do, it's awesome!
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you are low porosity, you might be suffering from build-up. Have you been using only one sulfate shampoo, or have you been rotating them? I would try to use a different sulfate shampoo to clarify your hair, and then try a Curly Girl-type routine (no sulfates, no silicones). Since you are low porosity, you might find that a gentle nonsulfate shampoo works better than co-washing (low-porosity hair is prone to build-up).

When you deep condition, I would try using heat to lift the cuticle so that the moisture can penetrate better. Some people apply the conditioner as usual and then put on a cap and then exit the shower and use a blowdryer to heat up the cap. You can try for 10 minutes maybe to start.

Another thing you might want to experiment with is protein. Sometimes when I have frizzy hair and breakage, a nice dose of protein will perk it up. But some people's hair is sensitive to protein and can become brittle and strawlike with protein use. So you need to proceed carefully. If most of the products that you use contain protein, then I doubt you are protein deficient. You might actually find that you are overdosing on protein, and it might be worth it to try using some nonprotein products for a while to see what happens.

Have you read the Science-y Hair Blog? She has a lot of very helpful posts, including do-it-yourself products. That might be helpful to you if products are limited in your area.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    If you are low porosity, you might be suffering from build-up. Have you been using only one sulfate shampoo, or have you been rotating them? I would try to use a different sulfate shampoo to clarify your hair, and then try a Curly Girl-type routine (no sulfates, no silicones). Since you are low porosity, you might find that a gentle nonsulfate shampoo works better than co-washing (low-porosity hair is prone to build-up).

When you deep condition, I would try using heat to lift the cuticle so that the moisture can penetrate better. Some people apply the conditioner as usual and then put on a cap and then exit the shower and use a blowdryer to heat up the cap. You can try for 10 minutes maybe to start.

Another thing you might want to experiment with is protein. Sometimes when I have frizzy hair and breakage, a nice dose of protein will perk it up. But some people's hair is sensitive to protein and can become brittle and strawlike with protein use. So you need to proceed carefully. If most of the products that you use contain protein, then I doubt you are protein deficient. You might actually find that you are overdosing on protein, and it might be worth it to try using some nonprotein products for a while to see what happens.

Have you read the Science-y Hair Blog? She has a lot of very helpful posts, including do-it-yourself products. That might be helpful to you if products are limited in your area.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • Lissa17Lissa17 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hi Curlyamaryllis and Therese, thanks for the help!

I've been clarifying my hair once per week, with L'oreal Pure Resource; I've also been deep conditioning once a week, 20-30 minutes with my shower cap on and I think it works fine - after I deep condition I keep rinsing my hair but it still feels heavy and slippery, as if I can't rinse out the product, so I know the product gets in.

I am thinking I may be using products which are too heavy, I've noticed I lost volume when I started using Garnier's spray-gel (the only CG product I ever found in stores here).

Yesterday I received an order with Joico's Curl Nourished, Cantu Shea Butter Curl Activating Cream, plus two samples of Shea Moisture Yucca Plantain Masque and the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I've noticed an improvement on my hair - less frizz, more curl definition. It was a rainy day here and I had decent looking hair all day. Still, I noticed I have less volume and my hair still feels and looks thinner than usual. I clarified my hair, conditioned with Joico Curl Nourished, finished with Cantu Curl Activating, scrunched, then plopped with an old tshirt like I always do. Woke up with crunchy, sticky parts in my hair but more curls, still not as much volume as I had but less frizz. I used Curl Enhancing Smoothie as a styler and I have mixed feelings about it, not sure if it worked.

As I don't have any light-weight CG approved leave-ins or stylers right now I think I'll try watering down the Cantu Curl Activating Cream and Curl Enhancing Smoothie. These, along with the gel-spray, are the thickest products I've ever used and I never saw my hair so much lacking in volume.

I think I'll try CG for now, and go back to cones and sulphates in the summertime, when my hair is easier to manage, just to finish my products (seriously, I have something like 8 non-CG approved bottles shampoos, conditioners, etc lying around and just thinking about giving them away makes me want to cry). I saw some minor improvements just after one day of CG already, so it's worth giving this a shot.

I'm thinking about trying other Shea Moisture lines as I can easily order these products online. I'm considering Fruit Fusion or Tahitian Noni & Monoi as I have access to them. Do think they work for low porosity, medium textured hair?
    The Fruit Fusion is a favorite for fine- to medium-haired wavies on the forum, so it is a sensible one to try. I don't know about the Tahitian Noni one. Fruit Fusion should work fine for lo-po hair. If the Tahitian Noni has a lot of shea butter, it might not be the best choice; shea can build up on lo-po hair.

Be careful with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie--you will probably need just the tiniest bit. When I use it, I use only about a fingertip's worth. It can be very greasy otherwise.
    The Fruit Fusion is a favorite for fine- to medium-haired wavies on the forum, so it is a sensible one to try. I don't know about the Tahitian Noni one. Fruit Fusion should work fine for lo-po hair. If the Tahitian Noni has a lot of shea butter, it might not be the best choice; shea can build up on lo-po hair.

Be careful with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie--you will probably need just the tiniest bit. When I use it, I use only about a fingertip's worth. It can be very greasy otherwise.
  • Lissa17Lissa17 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Yes, I'm having bad experiences with the Smoothie - it leaves my hair greasy and crunchy. I'm glad I bought only a small sample of it.

This week I'll try a protein treatment - I was looking at my hair products and none has protein in them, I'll try to see if that's what I'm lacking. I'm still struggling with frizz - I've had some days when my hair was so frizzy looking at myself in the mirror made me want to cry! However, hair loss seems to be slowing down which is good.

Thank you once more for helping me with starting my curly girl journey!:smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file