CurlTalk

Are these ok?

*sigh* I've read all the articles in the curl 411 tab learning about the all the different ingredients and now I'm more confused than ever! LOL So I need to know if there's any silicone or other nasty things in these two products. :oops: I'm doing a modified CG routine. I call it modified because I shampoo with a sulfate-free 'poo about twice a week so I don't mind water soluable 'cones. If I don't I get horrible build-up, even though I'm steering clear of 'cones and rinsing my condish out pretty well. My hair is a 2b/c depending on it's mood and the weather.

Anyway, on to the products!!! :lol:

First up: Loreal Vive Pro nutri gloss conditioner for curly/wavy hair. Here are the ingredients:

Aqua/Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Quaternium 87, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Parfume (Fragrance), Polysorbate 20, Candelilla Cera/Candelilla Wax, Methylparaben, C11-15 Pareth 7, C12-16 Pareth 9, Glycerin, Trideceth 12, Hexyl Cinnamal, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Amyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal

Next up: Pantene ProV curl defining scrunching gel

Water, PVP, Laureth-23, VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate Copolymer, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Triisopropanolamine, Carbomer, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance

I know the PEG 12 'cone is water soluable so I'm cool with that. What stumped me was the 4th ingredient starting w/ VP/Dimethyl.... Copolymer. Is that water soluable?

Thanks so much for your help. I feel like my hair is trying to curl and I just need to figure out what it likes. LOL I should change my avatar pic because I got a LOT of length cut off.
~Melanie~ 2B/C depending on my hair's mood
Trying to find a routine my hair likes!
bg433020.jpg[

Comments

• DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Yep those are fine!
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    the conditioner has Amodimethicone, which is not water soluable. However if you are shampooing a couple of times a week, that should be no problem. A lot of curlies seem to be able to use the a-cone without buidup even if they don't shampoo. You'll have to play around with it and see.

There is one of the Vive conditioners that does not have any silicones. I don't recall which one, but there seems to be a long thread somewhere on the board about it -- maybe over on the product review board???

I am guessing that the VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate is some type of hold agent like the PVP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Brio wrote:
    the conditioner has Amodimethicone, which is not water soluable. However if you are shampooing a couple of times a week, that should be no problem. A lot of curlies seem to be able to use the a-cone without buidup even if they don't shampoo. You'll have to play around with it and see.

There is one of the Vive conditioners that does not have any silicones. I don't recall which one, but there seems to be a long thread somewhere on the board about it -- maybe over on the product review board???

I am guessing that the VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate is some type of hold agent like the PVP.

I completely overlooked that. I thought it was the ingredients for the cone free Vive too.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    here's the thread on the Vive Co that is cone-free.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=101262
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • newcurlygrlnewcurlygrl Posts: 129Registered Users
    Thanks! I didn't even see the a-cone!!! :roll:
    bg433020.jpg[
    Ok, I just found the COOLEST thing!! I did a google search for that VP mystery ingredient and I found this: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.in-cosmetics.com%2FExhibitorLibrary%2F8%2FISP_Reference_Guide.pdf" class="Popup (I hope it's ok to post links!! ). If I'm reading this right, it sounds like it's water soluble (it's on pg. 12). :?:
    bg433020.jpg[
    Last night I thought to myself "wait a minute, I wouldn't have bought it if it had a 'cone in it" went and double checked the bottle and it DOESN'T have a-cone in it! I copied those ingredients from a website because I was too lazy to type out all those long ingredients. :oops: My bad. I guess the stuff is ok.

Are there any ingredients that are silicones hiding behind a non-"cone" name? :lol:
    bg433020.jpg[
  • Leilani42Leilani42 Posts: 200Registered Users
    I don't see any non "-cone" cones in there.

I remember when I started doing CG (years ago) after reading the Curly Girl book, I looked through the confounding ingredients lists so diligently and didn't buy ANYTHING with a -cone on the end.

Annnnnd, after coming here, I saw that "cyclopentasiloxane" was a cone, and a nasty one to boot... and my first co-washing conditioner had it. Booh. You'd think that would have been mentioned in the book!

So, anyway... look out for -cone and -xane. :D
    2c/3a-M-i
    modified CG since July 2004.
    searching for products that work...