Low ferritin, thinning hair...Total cereal to correct it?

Hey everyone! I have very low ferritin, it's at 4. My hemoglobin is normal. My iron is so low from malabsorption. I don't have heavy periods, they are light. I can leave 1 pad in for 12 hours on my heaviest day and my period is only 3 days. I eat meat every day and plenty of iron-rich food. I'm having malabsorption and my face is sunk in even though I'm at a healthy weight so I'm not just deficient in iron, I'm most likely all around nutritionally deficient. I'm losing my hair and it has thinning areas. I'm exhausted and sleep all the time. So exhausted I don't wanna move. So weak I can barely scoop food on my plate.

I can't take iron supplements. They majorly upset my stomach. I've tried all different kinds, with food, without food, different times of the day, doesn't make a difference. So my doctor recommended Total cereal which has 18mg iron (100% iron) along with 100% of Vitamin C and 100% of all the B vitamins and 15 mg of Zinc (100% Zinc). After about 2 weeks, I have more energy. I'm not sleeping as much. I don't feel as weak. The thinning areas on my hair are filling in. My chalky white nails have some pink coming back to them. My lips seem a bit pinker, not as pale. So then I asked my doctor about it and she said it's probably not the iron cause that most likely wouldn't work that quickly but I might be responding to the Zinc and other nutrients. So now I just wanna cry. All of the positive results I'm having seem like iron to me. I didn't realize Zinc makes your lips and nails look pinker. But it does say online that white nails can be from anemia or malnutrition so I don't know. What are your thoughts? And do you think 1 serving (not 1 bowl but 1 3/4 serving) of Total is enough or should I increase it for more iron? A 3/4 serving is 18mg. 1 cup serving is 27mg. 1 1/2 cup serving is 36mg. With each serving, there's more of the other nutrients too, including Zinc which I've read can lower ferritin levels so I'm worried about that. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would stick with what you are doing now for the Total serving. You don't want to overwhelm your system, and that can easily happen, especially if you have been deficient for a long time in a nutrient.

Personally, I would make an appointment with a nutritionist. They don't believe in supplements but seek to get all nutrients from food. A nutritionist would know about zinc lowering ferritin levels and the like and might be able to suggest some alternative foods to try. I would still continue to check in with your doctor so that she can test your blood levels and confirm what is and what is not working.

I once read in an older nutrition book that the foods recommended for anemia were eggs and dried apricots, if you'd like to try those. There is also an unusual iron supplement called PurAbsorb that is made from iron-rich water in the UK. I believe that they have clinical studies to back up their claims for superior absorption.

I know that you are sad that your iron might still be low, but at least you have had some significant improvement! That is something to be thankful for.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would stick with what you are doing now for the Total serving. You don't want to overwhelm your system, and that can easily happen, especially if you have been deficient for a long time in a nutrient.

Personally, I would make an appointment with a nutritionist. They don't believe in supplements but seek to get all nutrients from food. A nutritionist would know about zinc lowering ferritin levels and the like and might be able to suggest some alternative foods to try. I would still continue to check in with your doctor so that she can test your blood levels and confirm what is and what is not working.

I once read in an older nutrition book that the foods recommended for anemia were eggs and dried apricots, if you'd like to try those. There is also an unusual iron supplement called PurAbsorb that is made from iron-rich water in the UK. I believe that they have clinical studies to back up their claims for superior absorption.

I know that you are sad that your iron might still be low, but at least you have had some significant improvement! That is something to be thankful for.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree. Nutritionists are worth every penny. When I was in deficiency hell, I had one visit with a nutritionist who straightened everything out.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file