What is your home decorating style?

koolkurlkoolkurl Registered Users Posts: 252 Curl Neophyte
I would say mine is eclectic utilitarian and cozy.. Much of my furniture does not match but is uniquely arranged and each piece is useful and comfortable.

How would describe your home decorating style?

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Classic maybe? I have a lot of antiques, and neutral pieces...no metals or glass, everything is warm colours. My art is all subdued colours, a lot is from traveling the world and its all very natural stuff, not flashy if that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    colour, colour and more colour! :D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    koolkurl wrote: »
    I would say mine is eclectic utilitarian and cozy.. Much of my furniture does not match but is uniquely arranged and each piece is useful and comfortable.

How would describe your home decorating style?

I'd say the mid-century modern version of this. We don't have any "sets", a lot of it is chosen for function and comfort as well as look. We stick to furniture in solid neutrals- grey fabrics, dark woods, various metals- with pops of color in the easily replaced pieces- pillows, drapes, etc. We have a few old, interesting pieces we picked up at flea markets. (Oh, and my husband's favorite guitar is a rare 1960s electric I pulled out of a dumpster, lol.)

We won't spend a lot on couches or bedspreads or rugs because my dog sleeps on them. We do get spendy with art, though.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I guess kind of minimalist. Everything is basically black or white in simple shapes, leather, metal and glass. The occasional pop of color. Some dark wood. I don't have much in the way of knickknacks.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    Pretty eclectic. I like what I like whether it's an expensive piece of art or something that was a dollar at a flea market. My furniture, bedding, throws, drapes are all in solid colors (brown, black, turquoise, rust red, lime green), clean lines, no ruffles or fluff. I bought everything brand new when I moved last year and I don't really love old stuff but I do have a big old mirror of my grandparents and some old vases,etc. I have lots of shelf units/cubbies because I like to have all my collections and things that I love out in view for me to see. I love art but I live in a tiny condo and I like lots of open wall space so I made a 'gallery' along one hallway and a grouping above the dining table and just a few other things on the walls. I like setting furniture at an angle and I never put everything against the walls.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    The overall feeling I tried for is light and airy. Colors are soft. Blue green, grey green, white, ivory, soft yellow, touches of deep red pink. Furniture is lightly scaled French Provincial, some ivory, some mixed ivory and cherry, curvy lines. Coffee table is glass, but a neoclassic design with slender brass legs. Again, very light in appearance. One large mirrors, one large painting, soft colors, by a Japanese artist. Wall to wall soft wool carpeting in soft bluey, greeny, ivory, brown mix.

I'm very happy here.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    curlypearl wrote: »
    The overall feeling I tried for is light and airy. Colors are soft. Blue green, grey green, white, ivory, soft yellow, touches of deep red pink. Furniture is lightly scaled French Provincial, some ivory, some mixed ivory and cherry, curvy lines. Coffee table is glass, but a neoclassic design with slender brass legs. Again, very light in appearance. One large mirrors, one large painting, soft colors, by a Japanese artist. Wall to wall soft wool carpeting in soft bluey, greeny, ivory, brown mix.

I'm very happy here.
    I remember that carpet...that you crawl on! Ohh the days of spotless carpet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    Tons of antiques. Nothing modern or too clean in lines. What I do love about antiques, is that they never go out of style!
    If I ever had to downsize, I would keep my pictures and books and a few sentimental pieces. However, that would be quite the task!
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
    rouquinne wrote: »
    colour, colour and more colour! :D
    I'm all about accent walls!
    no accent walls - the whole darn thing!!!!

:D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rouquinne/
    My blog:

I admit I am not that brave!
    i think you mispelt "crazy", ma chere! :D
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote: »
    no accent walls - the whole darn thing!!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rouquinne/

I had a bright orange living room and stairway in a previous home. Fun.

i don't know why people are so afraid of the colour, there are so many variations. :)

i'm totally in love with my "African Tulip" living room - it faces east and on sunny days in the morning it looks like the sun rise exploded in the room.

the golden salmon plaster-look in the hallway was a happy accident after i ended up with an almost-bubble-gum pink shade and i did a wash of gold glaze over it.

and my bedroom is a shade called Sundown that i put over that toasty brown when i moved in. i liked the way it looked with one coat with a bit of the toast showing through and left it like that.

for the dining room, i am going to get a colour match for something from page 7 or 8 from this line:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/543cd753e4b079875c5e7e32/t/56e749ac62cd940c184c1050/1457998325755/Portola%2BPaints%2B-%2BMaster%2BColors_Originals-min.pdf
    My blog:

• GuardianBGuardianB Registered Users Posts: 1,905 Curl Connoisseur
    Thematic. I'm all about separate means it can be different. If you can close a door or cross a threshold it can change. I prefer my bathrooms soft but bright, my own bedroom darker, living rooms warm, kitchen busy or colorful. Each bedroom however is different. Where ours is natural with wood browns and burnt oranges and brick red or hunter green bedding, a guest room is more more modern with metals and black mahogany with a silver grey wall and black throws. Living room is suede tan seating with white ladder like furniture or mantles, with a cornflower wall accented in wine color drapes and throws.

We like color and we like splashing. Our kitchen for a long time had 4 different color walls. All natural colors, gold, olive, brick, and somewhere near moonstone/robins egg blue. It was Kokopelli themed.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Sounds like my bedrooms, GB!

Mine is all black wood furniture, deep red wine walls with chocolate & cream accents....its very warm.

One spar room is light brown (I think Belgian Sweet is the actual colour), pine furniture and light green & cream accents.....very spa-ish.

The other spare room black rod iron bed with black furniture and black/red/white accents.

Each one looks like its from a different house lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file