another bad "deva" cut

DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Ok, I think I'm for sure going to give up on these so called deva stylists. Question..... does a deva cut tend to thin the hair out? Or does a traditional tend to do that?
Two days ago I went to a deva stylist and AGAIN, I got chopped!! My top layers are SO SHORT that I look bald now. My hair is thin and fine. I told her that I had a chop cut back in August and that the left side of my hair is very, very thin because of it but the right side is normal. She insisted it wasn't the cut and that there is probably something wrong with me - physically. She said I looked like a cancer patient. I told her, "wouldn't that be all over?? not just one side?" She disagreed. I kept telling her that before the chop cut, my hair was full and "normal". My right side is normal and so is or WAS the back, just the left side that was cut wrong. UGH!!! So she left that side alone, didn't even touch it. She layered the crap out of the right side and then layered the crown area VERY short!! I can't wear it curly right now. I won't leave the house looking like that. I NOW look like a cancer patient!! The very short layers on top are so short, it just frizzes up and shows my scalp.
So, I'm straightening it. I don't need to use a flat iron. Just a blow dryer on low. But after all this horrible mess grows out, I don't know if I should just see a traditional hair stylist or what!?? I have another deva stylist to try but I'm so scared to go that route again.
PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds like your stylists was incompetent. Was she recommended from this site? If you ever find the stylist not to your liking, leave before the cut. I now always do a consultation before scheduling an appointment for a haircut.

I personally find most Deva stylists incompetent for my hair type, but it doesn't mean you can't find a competent one. I am sorry that your experience was so bad. I have been there and know it sucks, but you'll get through this.

Also, was your hair cut wet? Maybe you need to find a stylist who specializes in cutting thin, fine hair dry and someone who is master stylist level. You'll spend more, but you'll like your hair a lot more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    the salon was on the deva site. I went in for a consult with her a month ago. I felt good about what she said but it was so different when I actually went in. My hair was cut dry. There are no master stylists anywhere near me. Beginning of the summer I went to a regular stylist who has curly hair but she straightens hers. She cut it wet - typical regular stylist. My hair was very un-even because of the past deva cuts (from another stylist in a different state). She just evened it up and said she was going to blend it. Maybe I should just stick with her....

Look on the NC site. There are reviews of stylists with information on the reviewers' curl pattern and texture. It might be worth the investment of driving an hour or two to a larger city if there aren't stylists near you. I wouldn't let someone cut your hair wet. They could trim it damp, but not soaking wet, especially if your hair shrinks up two inches or more.

In my experience, most hairstylists aren't great, especially if you don't have medium straight "white girl" hair. Many deva stylists aren't fully trained and seem to know only how to cut medium texture, 3a hair that is at least shoulder length. Since your hair is fine and thin, I would also warn against Ouidad, since those stylists are better at cutting thick hair.

Your best bet would be to go to the stylist section of NC and read the reviews. Do a consultation, which is usually free. This allows you to see if the stylist is a good fit for you and what options are realistic for your hair. I ended up having to do this and finally I found a stylist where I am not nervous during the cut and who isn't trying to make my hair into something it isn't.

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so sorry this happened. I know that when my hair doesn't look good, I feel really depressed. I hope that the cut grows out soon, enough to look presentable.

I wonder if it would be helpful to call your local salon and ask if they have any stylists trained in cutting curly hair dry. I just found out that my stylist (a regular stylist) does this for very curly hair. She has always cut my hair wet, but she said that that was because I am only a wavy (2a/2b). So there might be someone at a regular salon who is worth a try.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so sorry this happened. I know that when my hair doesn't look good, I feel really depressed. I hope that the cut grows out soon, enough to look presentable.

I wonder if it would be helpful to call your local salon and ask if they have any stylists trained in cutting curly hair dry. I just found out that my stylist (a regular stylist) does this for very curly hair. She has always cut my hair wet, but she said that that was because I am only a wavy (2a/2b). So there might be someone at a regular salon who is worth a try.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 wrote: »

My hair doesn't have much shrinkage. That's probably why I can get away with wet cuts. The thing I don't like about the deva cuts is the un-even curls. I think because my curl clumps are small and thin.

Even though you're a wavy, you may benefit from a dry cut, especially if your pattern isn't uniform across your head. It's hard for a stylist to see that when your hair wet and straight.

The first picture was taken a few years ago from a deva stylist in another state. I was happy with it. Second picture of my latest "deva" hate it. What happened???
    mail-2_zpswoewkp1e.jpeg

1117161917a_zpsrqflf1wt.jpg

Maybe it's the angle, but your hair looks fuller and healthier in the second photo. I do see the unevenness, though. It looks like the top and bottom hair in the back are two separate layers. It seems like you probably need long layers throughout your hair going forward. Is your crown curlier than the rest of your hair? I wouldn't go back to the previous stylist. Your hair color is gorgeous and your hair is shiny.

Maybe it's the angle, but your hair looks fuller and healthier in the second photo. I do see the unevenness, though. It looks like the top and bottom hair in the back are two separate layers. It seems like you probably need long layers throughout your hair going forward. Is your crown curlier than the rest of your hair? I wouldn't go back to the previous stylist. Your hair color is gorgeous and your hair is shiny.

Do you mean it looks better in the first picture?? I agree with the longer layers needed. I got chopped yet again :( No, my crown is not curlier. It usually lays flatter than the rest. Sometimes it will curl tho. Right now it's probably curlier because the layer is so short. But that shortness is causing my scalp to show and i just can't go out looking like that. You can sort of see that in the second picture where Im wearing purple. I'm just SICK over it. Unfortunately the stylist that did my hair in the first picture is in another state where we used to live. So I"m looking again..... There is another deva stylist that I can seek out. But that probably won't happen for another 3 months or so because now I need to grow it out again. It seems in the second picture that my hair got thinned out. Could be from shorter layers?

For whatever reason, the pictures were reversed when I first viewed them. Yes, I agree with you on the photos. Instead of getting your hair cut right away, I would do a consultation with the new stylist and ask if you should wait until your hair grows out more before getting a new cut. I would also ask her for styling advice to prevent your hair from clumping as much and exposing your scalp. I can't see the back of your head, but from the sides, I think you can pull the look off with some confidence.

Here's the back.... UGH.. makes me sick! It's the crown that is so sparse now.
    1117161917_zpspvzs7oxa.jpg

Instead of getting more cuts, I would see if you could use duck bill clips to break up the curl so the hair covers your scalp. If that doesn't work, then straightening may be the best option. On the brightside side, you have lovely curl formation and shiny hair.

Instead of getting more cuts, I would see if you could use duck bill clips to break up the curl so the hair covers your scalp. If that doesn't work, then straightening may be the best option. On the brightside side, you have lovely curl formation and shiny hair.

Yup, I have to straighten it at this point. Nothing else I can do until it grows out.

went to a new stylist today. I actually went in to just get a deep conditioning treatment and I saw that she has curly hair and could be my twin minus the BAD hair cut on me. So we talked for a long time. She looked at my hair and agreed that the "thinness" is from a bad cut. She made so much sense as to what to do and let time heal basically. She said that whoever cut my hair, cut the middle out. Leaving me with basically NO hair on the sides and the crown. I almost jumped out of the chair and screamed - YES, YOU GET IT!!!!!! OMG!!!!! I gave her a hug instead. This has been the 4th person I have seen so I HOPE she's the one!!! But everything she said made so much sense and she KNOWS fine curly hair. I got my treatment done and she did a bit of trimming to give it better shape. Can't do anything about the sparseness - have to let that grow in.

That's great Darby!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji