How to KEEP volume

curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I stressed the word "keep" because I can get volume, I just can't seem to keep it.

As many of you know I've been experimenting in cutting out the hard hold gels for the past few months, in effort to get more voluminous curls. Plus now with it being fall and so much drier outside, I thought I would give leave-in or curl cremes a try.

The last couple of times I washed my hair, I applied a few dime-sized amounts of CCCCL on wet (not dripping) hair, scrunched out all the excess water, and then diffused upside down until dry. The result? Bouncy curls, huge volume! I loved it! However, this barely lasted 30 minutes before it fell back to its usually place. If I wanted the huge volume look again, I had to flip my head upside down and back up, which gave me big hair again for another 5 minutes. It just wouldn't stay like that. I also tried scrunching in a little UFDCM for a little more hold (once after my hair was dry, the other time after I had diffused more than half way, then continued to diffuse the rest of the way after adding the UFDCM). I've also clipped the roots once dry or almost dry, but again, the volume only lasts for a few minutes after I take the clips out.

Today I went back to using gel alone in order to get more hold, but with gel I never even get close to that volume since I can't diffuse all the way - with creme I can diffuse to almost dry in about 20 minutes; in that same time with gel, my hair still looks like I just stepped out of the shower.

Does anyone have any tricks to keep the volume you first get when you flip right-side-up from diffusing or shaking out your curls?
2c/3a
Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
Texture: mix of medium & coarse
Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015

Comments

• OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe check out Curly Hair Solutions Rev-Up shampoo and volume spray? When I want big hair I use these.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know how you usually have your hair, but at many points during the day I have my hair in a pineapple because I get annoyed with all my hair in my face. Pineapples refresh volume for me. Another thing- getting a pick and reviving volume that way is extremely helpful. My hair is very heavy and those things help me keep volume. Also, I haven't used spray in a while but absolutely a hairspray after diffusing will help keep the volume. I have liked deva curl hairspray in the past or aveda brilliant spray.

Another thought- are the ingredients in the cream too heavy for your hair? If something is too heavy on my hair it would definitely droop after time passes.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know how you usually have your hair, but at many points during the day I have my hair in a pineapple because I get annoyed with all my hair in my face. Pineapples refresh volume for me. Another thing- getting a pick and reviving volume that way is extremely helpful. My hair is very heavy and those things help me keep volume. Also, I haven't used spray in a while but absolutely a hairspray after diffusing will help keep the volume. I have liked deva curl hairspray in the past or aveda brilliant spray.

Another thought- are the ingredients in the cream too heavy for your hair? If something is too heavy on my hair it would definitely droop after time passes.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't tried this idea before, but pretty soon, I'm going to buy some kind of volumizer that has like sugar or some kind of powder in it. I also struggle with KEEPING volume. I can get it, but within 20 minutes, it drops. And I have really exaggerated layering in my hair and everything. If I try it before you find something that works for you, I'll let you know if it works :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curls80 wrote: »

It could be that the ingredients are too heavy. Despite knowing that my medium-coarse hair needs moisture, I've always found that leave-ins weigh my hair down, even when I've tried so-called "lightweight" ones and in small amounts. I guess like you I just have very heavy hair. I'd been avoiding leave-ins year-round, but am worried about how to get moisture in my hair in the drier climate now without the added weight.

I'm glad you mentioned hairspray, as that's been something I've been considering lately but haven't seen much mention of on these forums. I didn't know whether hairspray and CG actually went together - I think my next step might be to buy some and try spraying while still upside down after diffusing.

Ondulee wrote: »
    Maybe check out Curly Hair Solutions Rev-Up shampoo and volume spray? When I want big hair I use these.

Thanks, I just looked into both of these. I'm hesitant about the Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate in the shampoo, but may try the volume spray.

I haven't tried this idea before, but pretty soon, I'm going to buy some kind of volumizer that has like sugar or some kind of powder in it. I also struggle with KEEPING volume. I can get it, but within 20 minutes, it drops. And I have really exaggerated layering in my hair and everything. If I try it before you find something that works for you, I'll let you know if it works :)

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you! I've also added layers which helped some, but not enough.
    2c/3a

Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'd love to find an answer to this question, but I just don't know if there is one. :( I have found hairspray to be somewhat helpful in retaining volume, though I usually just spray it on top of my canopy. I think that a better way to spray it would be to lift up sections of hair and then spray at the root, let the spray set for a few seconds, and then let go of the section.

I saw a tutorial from a hair stylist last night saying that most people hold their hairspray way too close. He said you want an almost totally straight arm. He said that that helps the propellant evaporate before it hits your hair. It also helps avoid making the hair *wet* with hairspray because too much is being deposited in one spot. Of course, if the hair gets wet from the spray, it will droop. I have yet to try these tips out, but I want to.

Another hair stylist recommended spraying the hairspray into your hands first and rubbing them together, then putting your hands in your hair at the roots and distributing the spray that way.

I think that hairspray is not technically CG because it normally contains drying alcohols. However, I haven't found them to be overly drying to my hair. I know that there is a post on the Science-y Hair Blog about alcohol in hairspray, and I think she says that as long as the hair doesn't stay *wet* from the spray very long, the hair won't be damaged.

I have also seen hair stylists recommend using some dry shampoo on the hair after diffusing and styling, to help give it even more volume. I have no idea if this volume stays throughout the day, though. I tried it only once, a long time ago, and don't remember the exact results. I do remember that I did get some nice additional volume.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'd love to find an answer to this question, but I just don't know if there is one. :( I have found hairspray to be somewhat helpful in retaining volume, though I usually just spray it on top of my canopy. I think that a better way to spray it would be to lift up sections of hair and then spray at the root, let the spray set for a few seconds, and then let go of the section.

I saw a tutorial from a hair stylist last night saying that most people hold their hairspray way too close. He said you want an almost totally straight arm. He said that that helps the propellant evaporate before it hits your hair. It also helps avoid making the hair *wet* with hairspray because too much is being deposited in one spot. Of course, if the hair gets wet from the spray, it will droop. I have yet to try these tips out, but I want to.

Another hair stylist recommended spraying the hairspray into your hands first and rubbing them together, then putting your hands in your hair at the roots and distributing the spray that way.

I think that hairspray is not technically CG because it normally contains drying alcohols. However, I haven't found them to be overly drying to my hair. I know that there is a post on the Science-y Hair Blog about alcohol in hairspray, and I think she says that as long as the hair doesn't stay *wet* from the spray very long, the hair won't be damaged.

I have also seen hair stylists recommend using some dry shampoo on the hair after diffusing and styling, to help give it even more volume. I have no idea if this volume stays throughout the day, though. I tried it only once, a long time ago, and don't remember the exact results. I do remember that I did get some nice additional volume.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I lieu of hard hold gel, I use intelligent nutrients perfect hold hairspray. It's pricey but powerful, so you only need a little. Not only does this save me from having to use lots of hard hold weight-y products on my hair, but my hair often lasts for 7 days, and at least 5, using this.

As for light weight leave in, the only thing that works for me is to spray it in my hair mixed with water, either before or after I scrunch out water from my hair post shower. I find if I do this, it doesn't weigh down my hair. It's dilute enough not to, but yet the spray form helps it distribute.

Oscar Blandi hair mousse, which I am very allergic to, gave me tremendous volume. Not a natural product but definitively gives that "wow" factor for volume.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I lieu of hard hold gel, I use intelligent nutrients perfect hold hairspray. It's pricey but powerful, so you only need a little. Not only does this save me from having to use lots of hard hold weight-y products on my hair, but my hair often lasts for 7 days, and at least 5, using this.

As for light weight leave in, the only thing that works for me is to spray it in my hair mixed with water, either before or after I scrunch out water from my hair post shower. I find if I do this, it doesn't weigh down my hair. It's dilute enough not to, but yet the spray form helps it distribute.

Oscar Blandi hair mousse, which I am very allergic to, gave me tremendous volume. Not a natural product but definitively gives that "wow" factor for volume.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,948Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You could try Curly Hair Solutions Tweek. It's supposed to be a hair spray in a cream form. After my hair dries and I scrunch it, I add a tiny bit of Tweek to my fingertips, flip my head upside down and shake the roots. I'm not sure it really works well for me, but I have it, so I use it. My hair droops with the slightest bit of weight though, so it may work better for you.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    naturecat wrote: »

Wow, 5+ days!? I am definitely looking into this. I had never heard of Intelligent Nutrients before. I see it's from the founder of Aveda.
    2c/3a

• MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,471Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is for sure a challenge for me as well. NOw what I am contemplating it, I think I had the best luck retaining volume when I used a mousse, AND a gel, back before I was (modified) CG. So now this is making me think; What if I went back to that?? maybe I will give it a try. I used Herbal Essence Tousle me Softly, and a gel - I think I used Biotera, and I still have that too ...or I could try Deva foam and the Ultra Defining gel or Deva and LALSG...or even a mousse with flax seed gel..I do use hair spray. It tends to keep my curl formation better, but not necessarily the volume. I had a bottle of Tweek a while ago and gave it away - it was weird stuff!!
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,471Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is for sure a challenge for me as well. NOw what I am contemplating it, I think I had the best luck retaining volume when I used a mousse, AND a gel, back before I was (modified) CG. So now this is making me think; What if I went back to that?? maybe I will give it a try. I used Herbal Essence Tousle me Softly, and a gel - I think I used Biotera, and I still have that too ...or I could try Deva foam and the Ultra Defining gel or Deva and LALSG...or even a mousse with flax seed gel..I do use hair spray. It tends to keep my curl formation better, but not necessarily the volume. I had a bottle of Tweek a while ago and gave it away - it was weird stuff!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file