My hair is all topsy turvy now

EricaMEricaM Registered Users Posts: 5
I'll try not to ramble on and on to explain this. After I first discovered Curly Girl and this website, my hair started looking much better. It was curling more, the frizz was at a minimum, and it was truly healthy. I would dye it due to premature graying every 6 months or so, but that didn't affect it, and I deep conditioned afterward.

A little over a year ago, my hair suddenly started thinning and tangling more. I hadn't changed my routine at all. I've narrowed the causes down to two things: stress (I was in a toxic work environment and taking accelerated college courses) and hard water. Well, here I am, over a year later, and even though the hard water filter for my shower has helped my hair get softer, my hair is still frizzy, breaks easily, and continues to feel thin at the crown. (I don't wear tight hairstyles-my scalp is very sensitive.) I'm trying my best to manage stress, but I'm having several issues-financial and marital problems, and continuing to work on accelerated college classes.

I've tried a number of different things. I tried adding protein via Shea Moisture Coconut conditioner. That helped, but after a couple weeks my hair got brittle. I tried the raw shea butter conditioner instead, and it just left a waxy build up on my hair. The worst part is that my porosity has changed. I used to be low porosity-it would take about 6 or 7 hours for my hair to fully dry-but now it takes 3-4 hours. But I'm still apparently protein sensitive.

I've tried sealing with oil, both castor and EVOO, but that hasn't helped the frizz at all. Tresemme doesn't work anymore. For conditioners, I tried Yes to Carrots, Aussie Moist, the Gud Mango Moonbreeze, and the Ion deep conditioner from Sally's. (Also has protein in it-I couldn't use it for long.) I'm at a loss at this point as to what will work.

Anyways, to wrap this up, here's what I'm doing right now (other than trying to drink more water, despite more frequent bathroom visits as a result):

Use GTTT once a week. Condition every couple days, switching between the Jason biotin conditioner and Garnier Triple Nutrition. (I know silicones are discouraged, but the silicone free conditioner hasn't helped either) After my shower, I put some more conditioner in as a leave-in, seal the ends with olive oil, then use the Giovanni gel. (I was using Herbal essence gel, but it made my hair crunchy.) I blot the excess water with a microfiber towel then let my hair air dry. I use a satin pillowcase. I also trim off the ends every month or so.

My hair is 2b-2c (used to be 2c-3a, with even some 3b thrown in on good days, but the curl pattern has changed), presumably medium to high porosity, and coarse.

Looks like I rambled on. Sorry about that! I just wanted to give a very clear picture of what I've tried so I can get advice on what else I can do. I'm on a very tight budget right now, but if there's a way I can sample a product to find out if it works, I'm willing to pay a bit more in the long run. Thanks so much for any help I can get!

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you seen a doctor about this? Certain vitamin deficiencies and hormonal imbalances can cause thinning, I'd get a blood test done at least. (Simply going to the store and buying supplements isn't a good idea. Some deficiencies are caused by an inability to absorb vitamins, so taking more won't help.)

Dry, tangly, etc. hair can be damage, product, whatever, but thinning is an issue with the hair follicle and that tends to be internal. (It can be an allergic reaction to something you put on your head or a fungal infection or traction alopecia, but you're not really describing any itching, burning, etc.)
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Registered Users Posts: 86 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry to say I'm too new at this to know for sure what to advise. :/ *hugs* I really hope you sort things out though and get your hair feeling nice and healthy again. :)
  • EricaMEricaM Registered Users Posts: 5
    Have you seen a doctor about this? Certain vitamin deficiencies and hormonal imbalances can cause thinning, I'd get a blood test done at least. (Simply going to the store and buying supplements isn't a good idea. Some deficiencies are caused by an inability to absorb vitamins, so taking more won't help.)

Dry, tangly, etc. hair can be damage, product, whatever, but thinning is an issue with the hair follicle and that tends to be internal. (It can be an allergic reaction to something you put on your head or a fungal infection or traction alopecia, but you're not really describing any itching, burning, etc.)

I actually am having scalp issues, which might be part of it. It itches fairly often, and what's coming off my scalp is yellowish flakes. I thought it was my scalp overproducing oil due to being dry, but exfoliating and doing an oil treatment didn't help. So now I assume it's dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, but the problem is finding something to help with it that isn't too harsh.

That said, you're right about the possibility of a vitamin deficiency or something else, so I'll look into that too. Thanks!
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    EricaM wrote: »

I actually am having scalp issues, which might be part of it. It itches fairly often, and what's coming off my scalp is yellowish flakes. I thought it was my scalp overproducing oil due to being dry, but exfoliating and doing an oil treatment didn't help. So now I assume it's dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, but the problem is finding something to help with it that isn't too harsh.

That said, you're right about the possibility of a vitamin deficiency or something else, so I'll look into that too. Thanks!

hi :) .

Its possible the tea tree oil in the Giovanni conditioner is an allergen for you?
    it is for me which i figured out after made my head get raw spots.
  • EricaMEricaM Registered Users Posts: 5
    EricaM wrote: »

hi :) .

Its possible the tea tree oil in the Giovanni conditioner is an allergen for you?
    it is for me which i figured out after made my head get raw spots.

Hi! So I decided to test out your theory. I exfoliated, then used the swimmer's shampoo I had from the pre-filtered water days. Even though I have some itchy spots, my scalp isn't nearly as awful as it was after using Giovanni. So I think you're right; tea tree oil must be a problem for me. Now, if I can find a natural alternative to tea tree oil, I might have that part taken care of.

I'm still dealing with frizz, after deep conditioning with Jason Biotin conditioner and using only leave-in and oil, without any gel or product. But at least I pinpointed part of the scalp problem. Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, everyone! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file