Hi All and hair type?

StraightPassingStraightPassing Registered Users Posts: 86 Curl Connoisseur
Nice to meet all of you. :)

I'm new here obviously and new to actually working with my hair as something that is a part of my body I should properly care for rather than just 'stuff sitting on my head', :D I mean, that's not to say I've always treated my hair badly as such, but really starting to look into the science behind it and realising how important it is to care for it properly,

As such, looking forward to getting to know you, trade tips and stories etc. :)

On that note, I'd appreciate some help working out my hair type. (I'll upload pictures below if this computer will let me). I *think* and that is quite provisional that I'm somewhere between a 2c and 3a based on the fact that as the family joke goes, I seem to have inherited my grandmother's hair as we seem to both have hair that's tough as wire wool and could repel bullets. Not I hasten to add, that I've had any cause to try the latter but it could be amusing! :D Also, when I first really started growing my hair out as previously I'd always opted for shorter styles, my hair tended to pile on top of my head as tight bouncy curls and indeed when I have it cut even now, well the effect is kind of like a scroll of paper, the hair ends just kind of roll themselves back up into curls once dry, accounting for the weight added by the length of course.

Sorry for the ramble, as I say advice much appreciated and lovely to meet you. I know in terms of other factors that I'm medium to high density more so high as my hair takes forever to dry once (finally) wet, relatively elastic and probably about medium width, low porosity. The latter I know for a fact as my hair takes forever to get wet as I said, but also another running joke in my family is how my hair repels water, i.e. even as a child my mother commented that when bathing me the water would either spray out from the top of my head or just sit there, this being the shorter but still thick density etc hair coming into play again.

So yes, in an attempt not to ramble anymore, lovely to meet you all and insight into hair type much appreciated. :)

Comments

• StraightPassingStraightPassing Registered Users Posts: 86 Curl Connoisseur
    Oops sorry, if an admin could delete one of these duplicates that would be great, was having the greatest difficulty getting it to upload and then it cloned itself! :D:)
    Further pictures as well to really show off my hair, sorry for poor camera quality, all I've done in these ones (this was wash day and it air dried hence the frizz and only used conditioner) is clumping and scrunching and that's how my hair came out. :)
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome! Don't worry about the duplicate post; we've been having site issues here with regard to that.

If your hair is low porosity (mine is too, though probably not as low as yours), there are a things that you need to know. First, low-porosity hair is very prone to buildup. Silicones, which are often found in hair products, cause bad buildup and can be extremely hard to remove without a sulfate shampoo--and sulfate shampoos are very stripping to the hair, ultimately dehydrating it and causing it to lose its curl. I would recommend using a sulfate shampoo to clarify only and then switching to a shampoo and conditioner that are silicone free. I would also make sure that the shampoo is sulfate free. I would not recommend co-washing (washing with conditioner) for hair as low porosity as yours, because co-washing is generally not as good at removing buildup as is shampoo (and the conditioning ingredients in the co-wash will probably not penetrate your hair anyway).

Second, hair products (conditioner and stylers) tend to sit on top of low-porosity hair and not absorb into the hair. Heat will help raise the hair cuticle so that conditioner can penetrate your hair. You may have to put conditioner on freshly washed hair and then put on a cap and then aim a hair dryer at it for 10-20 minutes. My hair is not so low porosity that I need to do this (I just put a cap on in the shower and let warm water flow over the top), but it sounds like your hair is at the very end of the spectrum and might require more help. You might want to google "deep conditioning with heat" and see what comes up for ideas.

Third, since products tend to sit on top of lo-po hair, less is usually more, at least with stylers. Try using a small amount rather than a large amount to prevent weighing your hair down and giving it a greasy feel.

I hope some of this helps! It will be exciting to see where your hair ends up now that you have started on your hair journey.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Welcome! Don't worry about the duplicate post; we've been having site issues here with regard to that.

If your hair is low porosity (mine is too, though probably not as low as yours), there are a things that you need to know. First, low-porosity hair is very prone to buildup. Silicones, which are often found in hair products, cause bad buildup and can be extremely hard to remove without a sulfate shampoo--and sulfate shampoos are very stripping to the hair, ultimately dehydrating it and causing it to lose its curl. I would recommend using a sulfate shampoo to clarify only and then switching to a shampoo and conditioner that are silicone free. I would also make sure that the shampoo is sulfate free. I would not recommend co-washing (washing with conditioner) for hair as low porosity as yours, because co-washing is generally not as good at removing buildup as is shampoo (and the conditioning ingredients in the co-wash will probably not penetrate your hair anyway).

Second, hair products (conditioner and stylers) tend to sit on top of low-porosity hair and not absorb into the hair. Heat will help raise the hair cuticle so that conditioner can penetrate your hair. You may have to put conditioner on freshly washed hair and then put on a cap and then aim a hair dryer at it for 10-20 minutes. My hair is not so low porosity that I need to do this (I just put a cap on in the shower and let warm water flow over the top), but it sounds like your hair is at the very end of the spectrum and might require more help. You might want to google "deep conditioning with heat" and see what comes up for ideas.

Third, since products tend to sit on top of lo-po hair, less is usually more, at least with stylers. Try using a small amount rather than a large amount to prevent weighing your hair down and giving it a greasy feel.

I hope some of this helps! It will be exciting to see where your hair ends up now that you have started on your hair journey.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Thank you, that's all really helpful. :) I will definitely have to think about that more carefully. As a hold over I may use the conditioner I have (which contains no silicones and where it does, only a single one which is water soluble, and a small bit of shampoo every week or so and see where I go from there). I've just recently invested in a tangle teezer brush (basically it contains a mix of short and long teeth all of which are very flexible so hair is gently detangled rather than being pulled out) and it works wonders. As such, combed out I;d say my hair is closer to a 2b but then when I do natural styling i.e. only using clumping and scrunching it does curl more markedly at the ends and the waves become more defined. In actual fact therefore, would that put me between a 2b and a 2c rather than 2c/3a or what? :)
    I am really terrible at telling curl pattern! But if your hair is 2b when combed out, then you would be curlier than that, since combing out your hair should loosen the curl. Your curl pattern will probably also tighten as you learn more about your hair and give it products that it likes.
    Thanks that's a really good point. :)
    This is what my hair is doing this morning after a good hot bath and a thorough co wash. :) I do need to find an anti frizz cream or something I think but in terms of the curl pattern minus frizz, I'm thinking at the moment round about 2c with a touch of 3a maybe? :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file