are these signs of protein damage...or more?

frizzynightmarefrizzynightmare Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
hi, so i have a mix of 2b and 2c hair on my head with the top layer of my hair with 2b hair and the underneath layer consisting of 2c hair. some strands of my hair are highly porous and the others are low. density wise its thick and i have coarse hair strands

As much as i hate to say...ive never used conditioner for a long time :') thats bc ive been using coconut oil to use as a deep conditioner whenever i wash which is once a week.

recently ive been noticing that my hair is very dry at the ends like dried grass :( it has 0 elasticity and i have a major hairfall problem...about more than 20 strands of hair falls out...also gets tangles easily and lacks curl definition esp at the part with 2c hair

i use a gentle moisturising shampoo and a leave in conditioner and more coconut oil to seal it...oops :albino:

so could all of this be due to a protein overload or is it smth else? any suggestions on how to repair my hair will be appreciated as well :))

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't see the protein that would be overloading your hair.

It sounds like you weren't taking care of your hair and now it's damaged and dry. You'd probably be best off cutting off the ends and resolving to take better care of your hair from here on out.

A more effective way of using coconut oil might be as a prepoo, so put the coconut oil in before you go to bed and then wash, condition, leave in and seal with coconut oil, then put a curl cream or gel in for curl definition/frizz prevention. You can use the same conditioner for rinse out and leave in, just apply it from the ears down, not on your scalp.

As to hairfall, losing 100 hairs per day is normal. If you don't wash your hair every day, those hairs can get trapped on your head, so then when you do wash, it's a lot of hair.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It could be protein sensitivity if one of the products you are using contains protein. It could also be related to the coconut oil, which has an affinity for protein. If I were you, Do any of the products you are using contain protein?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • frizzynightmarefrizzynightmare Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 wrote: »
    It could be protein sensitivity if one of the products you are using contains protein. It could also be related to the coconut oil, which has an affinity for protein. If I were you, Do any of the products you are using contain protein?

um i actually use a shampoo that has proteins in it, my leave in is sunsilk instant smoothening cream which has keratin and coconut oil and my seal in is coconut oil itself but the label of the jar indicates that it has 0g of proteins

furthermore i realised that my hair feels dry even when its wet...? sounds crazy but it has no slip at all and feels straw like and rough even when its soaking wet and i find it hard to untangle my hair and its vvv painful
    um i actually use a shampoo that has proteins in it, my leave in is sunsilk instant smoothening cream which has keratin and coconut oil and my seal in is coconut oil itself but the label of the jar indicates that it has 0g of proteins

furthermore i realised that my hair feels dry even when its wet...? sounds crazy but it has no slip at all and feels straw like and rough even when its soaking wet and i find it hard to untangle my hair and its vvv painful

Coconut oil is not a protein itself, but I think it prevents loss of proteins from the hair. So it can exacerbate protein overload.

If I were you, I would find some products that have no protein in them and start using them, to see if you can get your hair to rebalance itself. I would start with a clarifying shampoo in case you have build-up. Clarifying shampoos are generally sulfate shampoos. Sulfates can be very stripping to the hair for everyday use, however; I would get a nonsulfate shampoo for regular use and save the sulfate one for clarifying.

I would also recommend staying away from any products with silicones, since silicones are notorious for building up on the hair and generally require use of a sulfate (stripping) shampoo to get them off. Over time, the hair becomes very dehydrated from use of the sulfate.

It's also possible that you don't have a protein issue at all but are just suffering from build-up, in which case a silicone-free sulfate shampoo might fix the problem.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Coconut oil is not a protein itself, but I think it prevents loss of proteins from the hair. So it can exacerbate protein overload.

If I were you, I would find some products that have no protein in them and start using them, to see if you can get your hair to rebalance itself. I would start with a clarifying shampoo in case you have build-up. Clarifying shampoos are generally sulfate shampoos. Sulfates can be very stripping to the hair for everyday use, however; I would get a nonsulfate shampoo for regular use and save the sulfate one for clarifying.

I would also recommend staying away from any products with silicones, since silicones are notorious for building up on the hair and generally require use of a sulfate (stripping) shampoo to get them off. Over time, the hair becomes very dehydrated from use of the sulfate.

It's also possible that you don't have a protein issue at all but are just suffering from build-up, in which case a silicone-free sulfate shampoo might fix the problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file