Help very frustrated and need suggestions

lisar12lisar12 Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My hair is very frizz prone and gets over moisturized very easily. It is also very picky with products. So far it likes Kinky Curly Come Clean and Knot Today. The problem comes with getting a styler or other product to help it to look good and maintain a healthy moisture protein balance. My hair does not like or need a bunch of oil. Right now I am using sweet almond oil to seal and finish my hair but I believe it is overmoisturizing my hair causing over shedding when I use it with the Kinky Curly leave in. As a solution I have been trying out protein treatments but they have been causing breakage. I have used keratin, soy, wheat, neutral protein filler, gelatin and products with silk protein haven't impressed. I have tried natural gels but my hair hates aloe vera gel and flax seed gel hasn't impressed. I am not sure if my hair does not need either a protein or oil and just needs a gel, if it only needs a protein and oil with no gel, maybe a prepoo with a protein and gel or just a protein gel. The problem is that no gel I have tried so far works either it doesn't mix well with my leave in and the natural gels have not worked and the proteins I have tried have only caused breakage. I don't know where to go from here and my hair is a mess. Any protein or gel suggestion would be appreciated along with any thoughts to solve this problem.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to the fun world of being a curly. :)

What I would suggest is to look for a sulfate-free, protein-free shampoo, and a protein-free, silicone-free conditioner that is not too heavy. I would switch to that until your hair regularizes. Then you can start adding the protein and oils back in one by one to see what is doing what.

Adding protein to the hair does not always "fix" overmoisturized hair. It can actually moisturize it further, depending on the size of the protein and how it interacts with the hair shaft. I would do a clarifying shampoo (you can use a sulfate one if you like, since it's just a one-time thing) and then give the hair time to regularize with protein-free products.

I hope others can recommend some good protein-free products. I am currently trying out Jessicurl's Confident Coils, which is a lightweight styler without protein. I used it last washday (I had a sample), and my hair came out really nice--not weighed down.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

What I would suggest is to look for a sulfate-free, protein-free shampoo, and a protein-free, silicone-free conditioner that is not too heavy. I would switch to that until your hair regularizes. Then you can start adding the protein and oils back in one by one to see what is doing what.

Adding protein to the hair does not always "fix" overmoisturized hair. It can actually moisturize it further, depending on the size of the protein and how it interacts with the hair shaft. I would do a clarifying shampoo (you can use a sulfate one if you like, since it's just a one-time thing) and then give the hair time to regularize with protein-free products.

I hope others can recommend some good protein-free products. I am currently trying out Jessicurl's Confident Coils, which is a lightweight styler without protein. I used it last washday (I had a sample), and my hair came out really nice--not weighed down.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • lisar12lisar12 Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 wrote: »

Hey. Thank you so much for your reply. I use Kinky Curly Come Clean and The Knot Today. I believe both products are everything you suggested in terms of being sulfate free, light weight and protein free. I believe the problem comes in when I add an oil to the mix which turns it into a super conditioner. I have tried other conditioners and they have been fails which is why I stick with it. My hair would be nice if it wasn't quite so soft. I just don't know where to go from here having had no luck with protein or gels.:cry:
    I would try the Jessicurl Confident Coils but it has jojoba oil and aloe vera and my hair loathes those things.
    I've never tried Kinky Curly Knot Today, but I seem to remember that Kinky Curly products do not always play well with other lines. So that might be why your gels haven't been working well with the leave-in. I would try one of your gels without the Knot Today and see if that gives any better results.

If your hair is too soft, you might have some success with a salt spray. When my hair feels too soft, I use one to help add texture. I use the John Masters Organics one, which is just water, lavender oil, and sea salt. It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way.

Not everyone needs to add oils to their hair, so if the oil is causing extra softness, I would leave it out. Sometimes butters (like shea butter) can be better than oils, because they sit on top of the hair shaft and thus create friction, creating volume. But they can also be heavier too. It's something to experiment with.

Sometimes product formulation matters also. My hair dislikes straight aloe vera and jojoba oil, but it generally doesn't mind those things in products. So I would try to stay open to those ingredients until you know for sure that they are causing a problem, even in products containing multiple ingredients. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts, and trial and error is the only way to go.

It sounds to me like what you really need is a good hard-hold gel. I would focus your efforts there.
    I've never tried Kinky Curly Knot Today, but I seem to remember that Kinky Curly products do not always play well with other lines. So that might be why your gels haven't been working well with the leave-in. I would try one of your gels without the Knot Today and see if that gives any better results.

If your hair is too soft, you might have some success with a salt spray. When my hair feels too soft, I use one to help add texture. I use the John Masters Organics one, which is just water, lavender oil, and sea salt. It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way.

Not everyone needs to add oils to their hair, so if the oil is causing extra softness, I would leave it out. Sometimes butters (like shea butter) can be better than oils, because they sit on top of the hair shaft and thus create friction, creating volume. But they can also be heavier too. It's something to experiment with.

Sometimes product formulation matters also. My hair dislikes straight aloe vera and jojoba oil, but it generally doesn't mind those things in products. So I would try to stay open to those ingredients until you know for sure that they are causing a problem, even in products containing multiple ingredients. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts, and trial and error is the only way to go.

It sounds to me like what you really need is a good hard-hold gel. I would focus your efforts there.
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi :). I second what Therese just said. A good hard hold gel is probably just what your hair needs. I'm wondering if the LA Looks Sport Gel would have ingredients that your hair could tolerate? I don't think it has any oils, and I believe it has some protein but far down the list. Plus, its only about $2, so if it didn't work, you wouldn't be out lots of money. Ive always really liked it.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
    Therese1 wrote: »

Yeah Kinky Curly does not play well with other lines. My hair loves the shampoo and conditioner but hates the gel in the line because of the aloe. My hair looks great when wet but a disaster when dried with it . I did a hair analysis and was told to stay away from friction causing ingredients but I am willing to try anything at this point. Thanks for the advice. I will keep trying out gels and hope that something works eventually.
    Hi :). I second what Therese just said. A good hard hold gel is probably just what your hair needs. I'm wondering if the LA Looks Sport Gel would have ingredients that your hair could tolerate? I don't think it has any oils, and I believe it has some protein but far down the list. Plus, its only about $2, so if it didn't work, you wouldn't be out lots of money. Ive always really liked it.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file