If a shampoo did this, would you try it again?

RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
Lately, co-washing has been leaving my scalp greasy. I've been vainly searching for a shampoo that has no sulfates, but also no protein or coconut. Yesterday I found SM's Raw Shea & Cupuacu Frizz Defense Shampoo, which is all that and also states it will "cleanse & smooth thick & wavy hair." All me! Yay!

However, the moment I applied it, my hair MATTED. Not just snarled or tangled, but formed huge matted clumps under my fingers, so badly that I was unable to even rinse it out. In desperation I threw some Biolage Conditioning Cleanser on top, which helped enough to rinse. Leaving the CC on for the recommended 5 minutes, I barely got the wide-toothed comb through to detangle, and lost literal handfuls of hair in the process.

So my first reaction was to throw the SM away, far away! Yet, I've been so discouraged at finding a shampoo that I'm tempted to give it another try along with a LOT of conditioner afterward to see if I can make a go of it. Logic is telling me to give up. WWYD?
2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 

Comments

• sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'd return it if possible. Or use it for a body wash. I had purchased a SM shampoo that left my scalp feeling less than clean. I used maybe 30% of the bottle and used the rest for body wash.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Definitely not use it again! Like @sdkitty said, use it for body wash, or perhaps as a lather when shaving etc.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    Well, since you are reinforcing my instincts, back to the drawing board (or checkout line) it is. Sigh.

Thank you!
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kinky Curly Come Clean works well dorm me. It has one ingredient that is derived from coconut, but I have no issue. My hair is on the coarse side, so I usually stay away from protein. I am thinking Come Clean will probably work for you. It is sulfate free and is sold at Target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's happened to me recently. I've tried a few shampoos that are supposed to be so moisturizing or natural, sulfate free, blah blah, and my hair almost immediately has that reaction. I don't believe a person should have to use triple the conditioner to restore moisture lost by shampoo. That irritates me to no end to have to do that! I feel like I've damaged my hair and have to revive it.

One good one is curl junkie gentle cleansing shampoo. It really cleans but doesn't leave my hair feeling extremely dry after.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
    Double post....
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    Protein- Cnpf
    Triple post!
    Protein- Cnpf
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You could try Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo. It's sulfate free, silicone free, paraben free and coconut free. It's cleansing without stripping. The conditioner in the line has dimethicone, which is super disappointing, because I love the shampoo.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    I wouldn't use it again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using CurlTalk App
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thank you to everyone for the feedback! It's nice to know of some alternatives to try. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file