Hair oils

Cinndyy77Cinndyy77 Registered Users Posts: 19 Curl Neophyte
Hi guys I have a question that maybe a few can help with. I've tried a deep oil treatment but after I wash out the oil I feel it makes my hair straight when I have it curly. Does anyone know why this is? Is it that I'm using too much hair oil

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    My guess is that either you're using too much or keeping it on too long. Does your hair feel overly soft? It may be so soft that it cannot hold curl very well.

I have also sometimes had problems with protein straightening my hair, and coconut oil has affinity for protein, so if you used coconut oil, maybe that somehow could be the culprit.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    My guess is that either you're using too much or keeping it on too long. Does your hair feel overly soft? It may be so soft that it cannot hold curl very well.

I have also sometimes had problems with protein straightening my hair, and coconut oil has affinity for protein, so if you used coconut oil, maybe that somehow could be the culprit.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Maintaining curls requires a maintaining the protein-moisture balance. Too much protein, your hair goes stiff, too much moisture, hair goes limp. You could try clarifying first, and then a light protein treatment if that doesn't work.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Cinndyy77Cinndyy77 Registered Users Posts: 19 Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 wrote: »

Yea maybe I am using too much coconut oil in my hair in general. What I do is get the oil massage my scalp and add more to my hair and put on a aluminum foil type hair cap and leave it in for a half hour and go in the shower.

Can using too much of a hair cleanser also have to do with my hair becoming limp sometimes?
    Maintaining curls requires a maintaining the protein-moisture balance. Too much protein, your hair goes stiff, too much moisture, hair goes limp. You could try clarifying first, and then a light protein treatment if that doesn't work.

How do I now if my hair is lacking protein and moisture? I just want to make sure so that I'm not over doing it with the deep conditioning and protein treatments.
  • MsSofteeMsSoftee Registered Users Posts: 27 Curl Neophyte
    I've had to do a lot of experimenting with oils because there is no one oil that I can use repeatedly. When I first began a healthy curl routine, I used coconut oil one evening for an overnight conditioning and my hair loved it - obviously it needed it. It was even easy to clean off in the shower the next morning using only a cheap VO5 conditioner. The second time was horrible - then even shorter treatments - and now I can't use coconut oil anymore because my hair goes limp every time.

I use avocado oil every so often in an Ayurvedic gloss but I have to be careful not to overdo it - I mean, not add oil too often. I've recently used castor oil a couple times and it is wonderful (so far). I think that for me alternating herb conditioning with oil conditioning keeps limp hair at bay while keeping a really super shine and bounce.
    It could be possible that too much cleanser could make your hair limp. Sometimes overcleaning hair can make it lose its body; hair that is a little bit dirty often has a little more texture. It's something that you'll have to experiment with.
    It could be possible that too much cleanser could make your hair limp. Sometimes overcleaning hair can make it lose its body; hair that is a little bit dirty often has a little more texture. It's something that you'll have to experiment with.

OK thanks. What about if I like do a hot oil treatment, deep conditioning treatment and a protein treatment such as mayonnaise with egg mix like would that be way too much for my hair to handle?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file