Product recs needed! 2c/3a, no glycerin/protein

marisha1marisha1 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi everyone! I'm planning to totally overhaul my products as I have learned that I am protein and glycerin sensitive!

I live in Australia where we don't have much choice in CG products. Luckily my parents visit from the US every year, so I am planning to place a big Curlmart order. I am looking for products that:

-are glycerin free
- low or no protein
- no cones (obvs)
- not packed with a ton of heavy oils like shea butter which just sit on my hair (some OK, just not too much)

I feel like I am not coming up with very much. Does anyone have any recommendations? Looking for poos, conditioner, gels etc. TIA!

Also, my hair is 2c/3a, fine, quite dry and frizzy. I like a gel with a lot of "crunch" that I can scrunch out. My hair needs a lot of help clumping!

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Forum software lag. see below.
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    welcome!!

i am looser curls pattern but also very allergic to glycerin and proteins in products. if i find some while searching, i will let you know too
  • praw0006praw0006 Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    marisha1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm planning to totally overhaul my products as I have learned that I am protein and glycerin sensitive!

I live in Australia where we don't have much choice in CG products. Luckily my parents visit from the US every year, so I am planning to place a big Curlmart order. I am looking for products that:

-are glycerin free
    - low or no protein
    - no cones (obvs)
    - not packed with a ton of heavy oils like shea butter which just sit on my hair (some OK, just not too much)

I feel like I am not coming up with very much. Does anyone have any recommendations? Looking for poos, conditioner, gels etc. TIA!

Also, my hair is 2c/3a, fine, quite dry and frizzy. I like a gel with a lot of "crunch" that I can scrunch out. My hair needs a lot of help clumping!
    Jessicurl Spiralicious Styling Gel is glycerin free and new favorite product!
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I second the spiralicious. It has jojoba oil, but its formulated very well, and even my fine hair can handle gobs of it, and still feel weightless and soft, and SHINY. It's my hg

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 524Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm with you on the glycerin free thing. Spiralicious is good, and BRHG is glycerin free as well. It has silk protein in it I think but that protein doesn't seem to bug my hair. Also MGA sculpting gel gives good crunch, is pretty natural, glycerin free. It has some protein as well, but for me it doesn't bother my hair. Some proteins do cause me trouble but not the ones in MGA at all. Trial and error I find.

Curl junkie pattern pusha has no glycerin or protein by it's definitely not hard hold. It's medium and best, so to make that one work (or at least this is what I've had to do) you may want to add more to your hair halfway through diffusing to give more hold. That's called the smasters method.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • marishalmarishal Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thanks so much everyone! I actually have Spiralicious; it's one of the few products I can still use! Curls80, thanks for all the suggestions. Your hair looks a bit like mine (maybe on the best hair day of my life). I have already ordered BRHG (never tried it before though). How does it compare to MGA? Pattern Pushers I have tried. It didn't have enough hold for my curls which turn into 80s rocker style stringiness without a lot of help. Never heard of the smasters method though. I will have to try that.
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 524Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    marishal wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone! I actually have Spiralicious; it's one of the few products I can still use! Curls80, thanks for all the suggestions. Your hair looks a bit like mine (maybe on the best hair day of my life). I have already ordered BRHG (never tried it before though). How does it compare to MGA? Pattern Pushers I have tried. It didn't have enough hold for my curls which turn into 80s rocker style stringiness without a lot of help. Never heard of the smasters method though. I will have to try that.

Thanks for the compliment! I just wanted to say yeah that's the only only way I get pattern pusha to work, or else just applying product to more damp hair, less soaking wet, can allow the product to hold better- at least that's my experience! BRHG is extremely hard holding. Watch out for different formulas floating around though. The proper formula has no parabens or silicones in it. I don't use it much anymore- I don't know why! It's very thick and gives a satisfying crunch to hair that you can scrunch out. It's comparable to MGA but definitely harder holding. I love MGA. It gives crunch but is more natural and doesn't dry my hair out.

I forgot to mention Original Moxie Hold Up Defining Serum. It does have some glycerin lower on the list (I can handle some glycerin if it's lower on the ingredient list) and a bit of protein but it's really nice. It's a little more natural, and although it has the texture of a Serum it holds like a firm hold gel. It's really really nice. I wouldn't have believed it but it's true. You can get that on curl mart.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file