New To Dying Curls and Need Advice

JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
Hi everyone!
I have dyed my hair in the past, but only when I was also habitually straightening it so I was never really concerned about damage. Now that I am so concerned about damaging my curls, I am having trouble sorting through the coloring options. I have medium brown hair, slightly on the darker side and am looking to go to a dark auburn/burgundy color, I haven't quite decided but definitely want to go darker. I am not interested in henna because of the curl loosening problem that I don't think I'm willing to risk because I've been having some loosening issues lately and am a little upset by it.
I know semi permanent is the least damaging, but I don't think I can keep up with it while at college without a hair stylist. Demi permanent is another option, but I think refreshing the color constantly might be just as damaging or maybe more damaging than permanent color. Will going darker really frizz up my curls or cause breakage? What are your experiences with permanent color or coloring hair darker in general? Lastly, if I got permanent color will I be able to only color my roots or will it fade enough that I need to bring the color down to my ends and damage them more? I was also considering making a DIY deposit only conditioner to refresh the color without the damage. Also maybe Olaplex? but I don't know if my stylist has it.
My hair is low porosity and i'm not exactly trying to grow it out, so I think it can handle a little damage, but I don't want it to be noticeable in my curls.
Any advice will help! Thanks in advance!
:wav:
3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
CG since April 2012
BC October 2012
Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
Leave In: KCKT
Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
Sealer: Pure Argan Oil

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi, :) .

I think Madison-Reed colors from their site are free of harsh chemicals such as ammonia and what not.
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi, :) .

I think Madison-Reed colors from their site are free of harsh chemicals such as ammonia and what not.
  • JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    It still has hydrogen peroxide, which is similar to a demi-permanent color so I'm not sure how long it really lasts even though they call it permanent. I also don't really trust myself to color my own hair. I would be going to my mom's colorist, who I just found out does have Olaplex.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file