Castor oil VS olive oil?

I just bought a bottle of JBCO but I'm not sure how to use it since the information I found online is not always the same, some people say it should only be used as a sealer at the end of styling routine since it doesn't penetrate the hair shaft but others say I should use it as a pre poo? I'm currently using olive oil for both things (pre poo and then at the end of my routine as a sealer ) how do you use it? And do you think I can just cowash after it or I need to low poo to take it out if I use it as a pre poo?
Thanks!

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Castor oil is said to be great for helping hair growth (not sure if there's been any science behind that though), so I imagine some people put it on their heads as a pre-poo and do scalp massages, much like they do with coconut oil/olive oil.

In my experience though, I've found castor oil really thick and sticky and so using it as a pre-poo can be a bit of a task. Normally I'll use coconut oil for the majority of my hair, then just apply a bit of castor to the roots. As for washing it out, I always use the SM low poos and have never had any trouble removing oil.

To be honest though, I think it's going to come down to trial and error for you, as everyone's hair responds differently. Give it a go both ways (as a pre-poo and a sealer) and see what you like! It certainly won't cause any damage either way and I doubt you'll have a hard time washing it out.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Castor oil is said to be great for helping hair growth (not sure if there's been any science behind that though), so I imagine some people put it on their heads as a pre-poo and do scalp massages, much like they do with coconut oil/olive oil.

In my experience though, I've found castor oil really thick and sticky and so using it as a pre-poo can be a bit of a task. Normally I'll use coconut oil for the majority of my hair, then just apply a bit of castor to the roots. As for washing it out, I always use the SM low poos and have never had any trouble removing oil.

To be honest though, I think it's going to come down to trial and error for you, as everyone's hair responds differently. Give it a go both ways (as a pre-poo and a sealer) and see what you like! It certainly won't cause any damage either way and I doubt you'll have a hard time washing it out.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Maggie86Maggie86 Posts: 83Registered Users
    Thanks a lot for your answer! I actually did that and as a prepoo it was awful for me...as a sealer I loved it! And I still use it to massage my scalp before bed every night since it absorbs easily and doesn't seem greasy the next day which I love...but as pre poo I still use olive oil :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file