Help with my kid's curly hair!

DaisydrewDaisydrew Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi all, newbie over here! I've been researching all this curly hair stuff for my 6 year old daughter, who is the curly girl of our family. Her curls used to be tight and spirally, but have started to fall out. I'm sure much of this is the way I've been treating it (non-curly girl here). So I've just started the CG Method, and have eliminated all our cone products. Will doing this help her curls come back to life?

I believe she is a 2B - 3A type. I only have ever washed her hair about 2 times a week since she was born, so I don't think the switch to cowashing will be too tough.

As far as products though, I need help! What are some of the best methods and products to use for her hair type? I've read so much, but I'm unsure of which and how many products she really needs. Plus, she's 6, so there is only so much fussing I can do with her.

The old routine was wetting her whole head with a spray bottle with water and conditioner, and then brushing out the tangles (I know...BAD!). I would then usually apply a curl creme or gel...I've tried multiple kinds, and of course, they all have cones in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want her curls to spring back up, if I haven't killed them already!

Comments

• curlyannie80curlyannie80 Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    It's so funny because my mom used to do the exact same thing to my hair, she just has slightly wavy hair, and had no clue what to do with my 3b craziness lol. Your little girls hair is amazing, and I think you're going to be surprised at how curly its going to get. Oh, also, strictly cowashing doesn't always do our hair good, so if it feels oily, or she has scalp build up, you may want to also buy a sulfate free shampoo as well. Good luck to you!

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • DaisydrewDaisydrew Registered Users Posts: 4
    Ok, good to note! I have used sulfate-free shampoo on her periodically, but I guess if I was using a bunch of "no-no" products, it probably didn't matter much. Today was day one, and it does look a bit curlier, but it was also rainy and humid today. Picked up some gel today too, so maybe that will help as well!
    Ok, good to note! I have used sulfate-free shampoo on her periodically, but I guess if I was using a bunch of "no-no" products, it probably didn't matter much. Today was day one, and it does look a bit curlier, but it was also rainy and humid today. Picked up some gel today too, so maybe that will help as well!
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, gel is awesome! I'd try to put a bit of conditioner in her hair right after her bath/hair washing, as a leave-in (just enough so it's easier to detangle, and also use a wide tooth comb), and then put in some gel. Just doing that would really help the results :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Target offers a great CG curl cream by So Cozy called Boing. It's marketed for kids and has a softer result than gel, if you'd like to try it. The vanilla-frosting fragrance is a lot of fun, too. :)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • LilyanaLilyana Registered Users Posts: 7
    Daisydrew wrote: »
    Hi all, newbie over here! I've been researching all this curly hair stuff for my 6 year old daughter, who is the curly girl of our family. Her curls used to be tight and spirally, but have started to fall out. I'm sure much of this is the way I've been treating it (non-curly girl here). So I've just started the CG Method, and have eliminated all our cone products. Will doing this help her curls come back to life?

I believe she is a 2B - 3A type. I only have ever washed her hair about 2 times a week since she was born, so I don't think the switch to cowashing will be too tough.

As far as products though, I need help! What are some of the best methods and products to use for her hair type? I've read so much, but I'm unsure of which and how many products she really needs. Plus, she's 6, so there is only so much fussing I can do with her.

The old routine was wetting her whole head with a spray bottle with water and conditioner, and then brushing out the tangles (I know...BAD!). I would then usually apply a curl creme or gel...I've tried multiple kinds, and of course, they all have cones in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want her curls to spring back up, if I haven't killed them already!

The same problem) I tried many things incl hair sptays, wax and gels.
    They weren't very helpful though. but then somebody recommended to try a pomade.
    unlike hair spray and hair gel, pomade does not dry, and can last much longer. Pomade is used to style hair (including mustaches, side burns, and beards), giving it a darker, slicker, shinier look, and is often associated with the slick men's hairstyles of the early to mid-20th century. Because of its greasy or waxy nature, pomade can last through several washings, although it is easily removed using de-greasers such as high-detergent shampoos, dishwashing liquids, or any shampoos designed for oily hair.
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomade

i tried both - water and oil based pomades.. although oil based is a disaster when u need to wash it off….

And here’s a pretty good review which sums up the main points:
    · it holds your hair long and give freedom to shake head and not think of dangerous things to happen;

· there aren't any troubles in putting the stuff onto your hair, you don't need much of it for different hairstyles;

· producer offers lots of types to meet the needs of all customers who need shine, super hold or natural appearance;

· you will find instructions which are quite short and won't take much time to read, they are easy to keep up with;

· there are no restrictions for using the stuff, no health or skin problems could be the reason to refuse pomade;

· last important thing - you can wash it easily with small amount of your shampoo with any kinds of active elements.

Read more: My Review of Layrite Pomade for Men

Cheers!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file