Your Favorite DIY Deep Treatment

SuzMaxSuzMax Posts: 48Registered Users Curl Novice
What is your favorite DIY deep treatment? I have low porosity hair and my hair hates coconut oil and protein. I'd love to start making my own DT.
I live in Mexico. Trying to figure out how to make my own products with locally purchased items. In my area there are not a lot of cruelty-free, silicone-free, etc. products available. 
2c/3a, low porosity
CG since February 2010
Finally allowed my gray to live freely in May 2015.

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What about adding something to a conditioner that you already use and like? Coconut oil doesn't work for a lot of people, have you tried olive oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, almond oil, etc.?

You can also add things like honey and aloe. When my bleached hair went crunchy after a few days of normal humidity, I added olive oil and honey to my regular conditioner and it really helped.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • SuzMaxSuzMax Posts: 48Registered Users Curl Novice
    What about adding something to a conditioner that you already use and like? Coconut oil doesn't work for a lot of people, have you tried olive oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, almond oil, etc.?

You can also add things like honey and aloe. When my bleached hair went crunchy after a few days of normal humidity, I added olive oil and honey to my regular conditioner and it really helped.

I think that may be what I'll end up doing. I did add olive oil to my conditioner last week and my hair was really soft. I tried olive oil and honey and I ended up using a lot of conditioner as a co-wash to try to get the honey out. I was hoping to be able to make my own "something" to just be more mindful of "junk" I put in my hair and how much stuff I buy in throw away bottles, but even just adding olive oil to what I already use will help and will be better than spending so much on deep conditioners. :)
    I live in Mexico. Trying to figure out how to make my own products with locally purchased items. In my area there are not a lot of cruelty-free, silicone-free, etc. products available. 
    2c/3a, low porosity
    CG since February 2010
    Finally allowed my gray to live freely in May 2015.

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used to be such a product snob when I wore my hair straight. If you could buy it at a drug store, it wasn't good enough for me. I honestly believed that I could bleach and flat iron my hair forever if I just spent enough money on products.

I use a $3 low poo from Trader Joe's, I make my own protein treatments and deep conditioner and my go to humidity gel is under $5. Oh, and my hair isn't snapping anymore. It's all shiny and acts like hair again!
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • WhingsWhings Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I apply a hair mask once in two weeks.
    The ingredients are :
    2 spoon coconut oil
    1 spoon olive oil
    1 spoon castor oil
    1 beaten egg
    1 spoon apple cider vinegar
    Mix them well and apply it on your hair for 1 hour. Rinse it with lukewarm water and use a mild shampoo and conditioner. Your hair will become fluffy.
  • mariymariy Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    5 chunks of raw shea butter.
    2 tbsp unrefined, organic argan oil.
    5 tbsp organic castor oil.
    1 cup Greek yogurt.
    1 tbsp raw organic honey.
    1 egg

->Heat coconut oil for 30 seconds.
    ->Heat shea butter for 1 minute and mix with argan oil.
    ->Combine mixture with remaining ingredients. You can also use a blender for easier mixing.
    ->Apply to hair and leave on for 20 - 30 minutes with heat. 1 hour without heat.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Half a tin of coconut milk
    Honey
    Henne powder
    French Clay powder
    what ever oils i feel like at the time
    what ever nice oils i feel like at the time, normally Rosemary n lavender or rose
    bit of normal condish
    if ive got it bit of banana or avacado
    then i blend it all up to a nice smooth fluffy condish, once ive added ill let it sit for a few hours, (so that the henne can work a bit), n when ever its annoying me on my head then ill shower n wash it all off.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may want to try fenugreek or irish moss (though irish moss has protein, but not overly much, and has enough moisture to counteract it--known for making curls pop). Fenugreek can make hair curl up, esp if it tends to need moisture. Though for my baby fine hair it was a bit much, but YMMV.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • MsSofteeMsSoftee Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have normal porosity, relatively thick hair and avoid most oils and OTC products. What I use regularly for deep conditioning are henna, cassia, hibiscus and shikakai powders as a mask mixed with avocado oil and cheap VO5 conditioner; or a castor oil pre-poo. Both methods condition well for me and I can adjust or add ingredients as I see fit or if I want to experiment. My favorite protein mask uses yogurt, egg, and honey.

Naturecat - I made and used a fenugreek gel/water once (from the whole seeds) and it did do some nice stuff, but man, the smell didn't go away for days! I'd wake up in the middle of the night annoyed with it lol
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MsSoftee wrote: »
    I have normal porosity, relatively thick hair and avoid most oils and OTC products. What I use regularly for deep conditioning are henna, cassia, hibiscus and shikakai powders as a mask mixed with avocado oil and cheap VO5 conditioner; or a castor oil pre-poo. Both methods condition well for me and I can adjust or add ingredients as I see fit or if I want to experiment. My favorite protein mask uses yogurt, egg, and honey.

Naturecat - I made and used a fenugreek gel/water once (from the whole seeds) and it did do some nice stuff, but man, the smell didn't go away for days! I'd wake up in the middle of the night annoyed with it lol

Oh yes, I used to use amla and cassia tea as a treatment for my hair. The amla made my hair curl up nicely I remember (though a bit dry if I overused it). Fenugreek smell is a bit strong, yes. :) I washed my hair afterwards though and didn't notice (much) of a smell after washing.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • LuthfaLuthfa Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I made hair oil from a you tube video. its ginger, garlic, pepper, castor oil and coconut oil. Im supposed to use this every night or every other night. smells kinda weird but the ingredients are really good for the scalp. Anyone else heard of this overnight oil ? is it okayy to put oil on my hair every night ?
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,844Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @Luthfa, I don't think I would use that personally.  Those sound like really irritating ingredients.  What if it gets in your eyes?  It definitely would for me, especially when rinse it out.  Plus, it sounds irritating to the skin.  If I wouldn't use it on my face, I wouldn't use it on my scalp, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't want that on my face.  Plus there's the smell - with ginger and garlic, you're going to smell like a curry!  The castor oil and coconut oil would be ok if your hair likes oils, but not the ginger, garlic and pepper.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • LuthfaLuthfa Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    @Luthfa, I don't think I would use that personally.  Those sound like really irritating ingredients.  What if it gets in your eyes?  It definitely would for me, especially when rinse it out.  Plus, it sounds irritating to the skin.  If I wouldn't use it on my face, I wouldn't use it on my scalp, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't want that on my face.  Plus there's the smell - with ginger and garlic, you're going to smell like a curry!  The castor oil and coconut oil would be ok if your hair likes oils, but not the ginger, garlic and pepper.
    yeah i agree on this. i tried it one night and the smell was awful and i dont think ill be using it again. Thankyou so much :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file