Alternative to Keratin

lilyrblilyrb Posts: 4Registered Users
The word on the street is that Keratin treatments can really damage your hair permanently, and I don't doubt that...

BUT, A friend of mine with similar hair as me (although she is no african american white mixed, she is just white) just got keratin. To clarify, her hair is definitely not straight now. Instead, it is still relatively curly, but with A LOT less frizz.

Honestly, I am in love. The downside is that:

1. I play sports for the majority of the week and I can't leave my hair down for 3 full days, which is what she had to do after the treatment.

2. It took about 5 hours of sitting in a chair with chemicals in her hair.

3. It is really expensive.

I was wondering if there is a shampoo and conditioner that would have a similar affect as the keratin had on her hair? One that relaxed the curls and frizz? I heard of the MoroccanOil smoothing conditioner... does that do what I am talking about?

Attached are some pictures.

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 335Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Here's the thing about keratin treatments. Well, a few things.

a. The keratin in the treatment is irrelevant. You could take it out and the result would be the same. (Think about it. Your hair is curly and it's made of keratin. Why would more keratin make it straight?) It's the chemicals, usually an aldehyde or something that becomes an aldehyde when heated, that reform the bonds in the hair, similar to how relaxers work.

b. Most people love the first treatment. It's subsequent treatments that start causing visible damage. Which is true of a lot of things. The first highlights I got didn't trash my hair. The first time I used a flat iron didn't cause my hair to start snapping off.

c. How well your hair holds up to treatments and techniques depends on a lot of things. I know people who can bleach their hair white and still have pretty curls. I can't color my hair at all without damage. It's unfair, but there it is.

To answer your question, are you following the curly girl method? I have very, very little frizz these days. The knowledge and techniques I have gained from reading here have done more for me than a lifetime of trying to have hair I don't have.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,159Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would personally try some other products and techniques before resorting to a treatment like this, because it does have the possibility of damaging your hair or giving you an effect that you don't want.

Have you tried the Ouidad rake and shake method? That helps elongate curl and reduce frizz, from what I have heard. I also know that there are products on the market that will elongate curl. The Curly Girl method is also excellent at reducing frizz for a lot of people. If you aren't familiar with the Curly Girl method, I would check out the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey to at least try some alternative ways to reduce the frizz before resorting to a chemical treatment.

I don't know anything about the Moroccan OIl product you mentioned; maybe someone else will chime in.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,159Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would personally try some other products and techniques before resorting to a treatment like this, because it does have the possibility of damaging your hair or giving you an effect that you don't want.

Have you tried the Ouidad rake and shake method? That helps elongate curl and reduce frizz, from what I have heard. I also know that there are products on the market that will elongate curl. The Curly Girl method is also excellent at reducing frizz for a lot of people. If you aren't familiar with the Curly Girl method, I would check out the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey to at least try some alternative ways to reduce the frizz before resorting to a chemical treatment.

I don't know anything about the Moroccan OIl product you mentioned; maybe someone else will chime in.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Please don't relax your curls! You're beautiful, your hair is beautiful, and you don't need to try to change what is uniquely YOU. I'm 36, and didn't know how to really handle my hair until I was 32 years old. Once I discovered this site, and the methods like curly girl, and using a T-shirt, and a leave in conditioner, gel application techniques, etc, it CHANGED my view of my hair. I honestly love it now, and for the first time ever, I feel IN CONTROL of my hair. Ive relaxed my hair (melted it off), i used to flat iron the crap out of it, and everything, and it was always just such a struggle. I really recommend learning about your hair, what are your properties, density, strand thickness, porosity, etc. It will help you :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Please don't relax your curls! You're beautiful, your hair is beautiful, and you don't need to try to change what is uniquely YOU. I'm 36, and didn't know how to really handle my hair until I was 32 years old. Once I discovered this site, and the methods like curly girl, and using a T-shirt, and a leave in conditioner, gel application techniques, etc, it CHANGED my view of my hair. I honestly love it now, and for the first time ever, I feel IN CONTROL of my hair. Ive relaxed my hair (melted it off), i used to flat iron the crap out of it, and everything, and it was always just such a struggle. I really recommend learning about your hair, what are your properties, density, strand thickness, porosity, etc. It will help you :)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Annie I love your new avatar pic. Your hair is my dream hair! I agree with your post too.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Awww, I love you! Lol. Thank you SO much. Your hair is so pretty, though! And I think it's so cool how you use all sorts of natural things on it, and its so shiny and healthy looking :). You're so sweet :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file