newbie advice much needed! :-)

lucyswaveslucyswaves Registered Users Posts: 3
So...after many years battling with my frizzy and badly behaved hair I have finally decided to embrace my natural waves. I think I am probably a 2a-2b and have included some awful selfies for reference :tongue5:

I have started the CG method as in the past my hair has responded well to minimal sulphates, but oh my, styling is a nightmare!

I am currently using a Keracare low poo which my hair seems to like and I follow this with Tresemme Naturals which I rinse out after doing a bit of squish to condish.

To style I blot moisture out with a t shirt and then scrunch a gel into the hair. I then dry with a diffuser as I don't have time to air dry on the mornings I go to work.

I can't seem to keep the waves as defined as when they are damp and most products I try apart from gel and gel spray seem to be too heavy. I tried a Curl Creme and that just seemed to weigh my hair down and make it greasy. I also suffer from terrible frizziness still and flatness on the top of my head - and the top layers of my hair seem straight and quite dry - argh!!!

Please tell me it gets better :sleepy3: :smile: Will I ever get beautifully defined waves a la Rockyncurls and The Polished Curl on You Tube?!

Any advice or recommendations would be great!

Thanks y'all
Lucy

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    You have beautiful hair! So let's start there, okay?

The thing is, you haven't been properly encouraging and maintaining your curls until very recently. It takes some time to get your hair into the habit of curling and then to maximize your own curl pattern. There's a learning curve in terms of both product and technique. So don't get down on your curls, they're perfect! You just need time and practice is all.

First off, figure out your other hair properties. Curl pattern isn't that important, but things like individual hair thickness (fine-medium-coarse), density of hair (thin, medium, thick) and porosity make a huge difference in what your hair needs to look its best.

I would say try the following, some of it won't work:

Deep condition/do a protein treatment. Curly hair requires a balance of protein and moisture to look its best. Deep conditioning can be adding olive oil to your regular conditioner and letting it sit for 30 minutes. Search "iagirl gelatin treatment" for a homemade protein treatment, or you can buy Joico's kpack or Aphogee's 2 minute treatment. (Too much protein makes the hair stiff, if that happens, deep condition.)

Try a prepoo, which is the night before you wash, put coconut or olive oil in your hair.

Try putting leave in conditioner and gel in soaking wet hair. Smooth in the products, then scrunch to encourage clumping, then blot with a t-shirt.

Try diffusing.

Try LA Looks Sports Gel. It's cheap and available basically everywhere. Use way more gel then you think you need. SO MUCH GEL. If it dries crunchy, gently scrunch out the crunch.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I find that scrunching my gel into very wet hair (not dripping wet, but much wetter than damp) helps a lot with frizz. It seems silly, since I just diffuse the moisture out anyway, but the extra water helps my clumping and frizz.

A lot of us on the forum diffuse. It gives better volume. So you are in good company.

It may take some trial and error to find the right products for your hair. If a product is too heavy, you can try using a smaller amount and putting it on really wet hair to dilute it. You can scrunch out the excess moisture with a t-shirt (terry towels cause more frizz generally), even if product is already on, before diffusing. Most of the product will still be in your hair and not come off on the towel.

I would agree with CurlyAmaryliss that it would be nice to know your other hair properties, especially hair thickness and porosity.

The Polished Curl and RockynCurls are amazing, I agree! I aspire to be like them but don't think that my natural hair texture will allow it. Polished Curl is 2C, I believe, and RockynCurls, although a 2B (?), has much thicker hair than I do. Your climate also plays a big part in how your hair looks. So I am just trying to get the best hair I can with my natural texture. :)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    It's very important not to get too caught up in keeping up with other people's curls. I think 3C-4A is the prettiest hair there is, but that is not happening for me. I work at focusing on making my hair as nice as it can be and not getting envious of all the gorgeous 3C and 4A I see every day in DC. (Natural hair is huge here. I see a lot of amazing hair. )
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • lucyswaveslucyswaves Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you both for your responses, this is so helpful and has given me a starting point. I can't wait to try some of your tips!

I did some tests and my hair is fine, but medium density and low porosity so apparently it needs humectants (which surprises me as I am so prone to frizz-but my hair was definitely floating in that bowl!).

I think I will try the gelatin treatment and have a bit of a shop around for products-which as I am a beauty fanatic I'm sure I will love!! :occasion9:

And what beautiful waves you ladies have!

Thank you again
    Lucy
  • lucyswaveslucyswaves Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you both for your responses, this is so helpful and has given me a starting point. I can't wait to try some of your tips!

I did some tests and my hair is fine, but medium density and low porosity so apparently it needs humectants (which surprises me as I am so prone to frizz-but my hair was definitely floating in that bowl!).

I think I will try the gelatin treatment and have a bit of a shop around for products-which as I am a beauty fanatic I'm sure I will love!! :occasion9:

Thank you again
    Lucy
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    For frizz, the single best thing that has helped me is to COMB in my products before a final scrunch. I usually comb in a styling cream and then scrunch in a light gel. Then scrunch some more with a microfiber towel or gloves, but not with hands.

I have much less frizz and much more consistent curls due to good product distribution. Your natural curl pattern does not get destroyed by combing as you scrunch it right back in. If its there, its there.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • katia_kaykatia_kay Registered Users Posts: 20
    As a fellow low porrosity person, I suggest trying out almond oil for pre-poo instead of coconut or olive, especially if you feel like those weigh your hair down. I can't use either, and a combo of almond and castor has been really fantastic for me. Also being mindful to be light-handed and strategic with the gel. Sounds obvious, but it's really easy to go overboard when your hair does not want the interferance.

I've also had recent luck duckbill-clipping my hair after my showers, to remind it how it *should* be curling. It makes it a bear to dry, which might not work well for you, but it's been great for my curl definition, and might help you out.

Lastly, yes yes yes to the deep conditioning and protein treatments. Once you find the right combo of these, and the right DC, it can work wonders. Best of luck!
  • katia_kaykatia_kay Registered Users Posts: 20
    As a fellow low porrosity person, I suggest trying out almond oil for pre-poo instead of coconut or olive, especially if you feel like those weigh your hair down. I can't use either, and a combo of almond and castor has been really fantastic for me. Also being mindful to be light-handed and strategic with the gel. Sounds obvious, but it's really easy to go overboard when your hair does not want the interferance.

I've also had recent luck duckbill-clipping my hair after my showers, to remind it how it *should* be curling. It makes it a bear to dry, which might not work well for you, but it's been great for my curl definition, and might help you out.

Lastly, yes yes yes to the deep conditioning and protein treatments. Once you find the right combo of these, and the right DC, it can work wonders. Best of luck!
  • LoveliamLoveliam Registered Users Posts: 318 Curl Connoisseur
    You can also test out a CG friendly mousse instead of gel if your hair continues to be too weighed down.
    Leigh :)
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
    Deva One Condition
    Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file