A Sudden Tangled Mess!

Lisa.BoydLisa.Boyd Posts: 4Registered Users
New to the GC method. I have very fine, thin, wavy hair. I had been hennaing it (full head applications) for ~3 years and it was super healthy, but limp and very little curl. In July I crazily decided i wanted to be platinum blonde and had about 4 beaching sessions at the salon before I realized it just wasn't for me. My waves started coming back and I decided to go GC + henna to see what my true hair potential could be.

Things have been going fairly well (2b hair turning 2C with a few spirals even) until 2 days ago when my hair suddenly went super dry, straw-like and impossible to detangle, even when drenched in condish. I certainly damaged my hair when bleaching, but this is a sudden change.

I deep conditioned with SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque and it felt worse. The worst part is that i'm ripping out tons of hair trying to detangle.

What am I doing wrong? How can I hydrate and detangle?

Sulfate Free Poo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
Rinse Out: Yes to Carrots, GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today, As I am
Stylers: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, HE Totally Twisted Gel, AG Rec:oil Curl Activator

Comments

• joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I read something about someone's hair feeling straw-like. If I remember correctly, it means your hair has too much protein. Let me see if I can find the article and I'll link it in a comment.
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
    Ok, I found a article. Understanding Protein And The Protein Moisture Balance. Curly Natural Hair | Love Your Curls One more article. It has a simple test to see if your are protein sensitive. How to Test if Your Hair Is Protein-Sensitive Hope that helps. If not, maybe someone else can help.
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
    Sorry to comment again but after I left the last reply, I was reading this article Polyquats as Conditioning Agentsabout the polyquats. In the article it states, "Build up of any moisturizing or styling agent is a genuine problem because it can lead to limp curls, frizzy hair with a straw-like texture — and it can even lead to permanent damage in the form of breakage." I'm not sure why buildup didn't come to mind but you could possibly need to clarify.
    Double post. Sorry
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It sounds to me like you either have too much protein in your hair (check your hair products for protein) or else you have buildup. If you have too much protein, I would do a deep conditioning treatment with a protein-free conditioner. You could also put some oil on your dry hair and let it penetrate several hours before washing it out--that might help the brittleness. (Maybe olive oil would be best--I wouldn't try coconut if you have excess protein.)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, buildup was my first thought too. SM products are super heavy so that may have compounded your issue. Shea butter in particular can be too much for fine hair.

Btw--I also had henna'd prior to going CG, and hydrogen peroxided over it, and then some more henna. We're a lot alike in that aspect. :) I was a fine wavy and I'm closer to a 3A now (chopped off all the henna and dyed hair); I suspect you'll be similar.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, buildup was my first thought too. SM products are super heavy so that may have compounded your issue. Shea butter in particular can be too much for fine hair.

Btw--I also had henna'd prior to going CG, and hydrogen peroxided over it, and then some more henna. We're a lot alike in that aspect. :) I was a fine wavy and I'm closer to a 3A now (chopped off all the henna and dyed hair); I suspect you'll be similar.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm thinking build up, too. Henna itself can cause problems on fine hair because it deposits on the surface of hair and can end up being too much for fine strands. Then there's butters and such which can build up. Then you've got your polyquats and water soluble silicones which shouldn't build up, but will on damaged hair.

I'd get some Kinky Curly Knot Today and saturate your hair with it. That stuff has slip and a half. I only have to show my hair the bottle to cure most tangles, lol.

Then I'd clarify, deep condition (no protein) and do an overnight oil soak with olive oil, not coconut. (Coconut can act like a protein, basically. Olive oil is also penetrative and I personally prefer it.)
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Lisa.BoydLisa.Boyd Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I washed my hair 2x with a harsh shampoo, deep conditioned with a protein-free product, and used more KCKT than usual. A BIG improvement. My curls aren't as clumped as when I was using the Shea Moisture, but I shockingly didn't seem to crush while i slept (best 2nd day hair ever!)

I plan to do a protein sensitivity test and to oil my hair soon. Since I can't give up my red henna, I plan to cut out most protein-rich products (thought that is hard). Hopefully i'll still be able to use my SM Smoothing on a limited basis.

Again, thank you all so much for the helpful advice!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file