Curl Dysmorphia lol - Whats my curl type?

SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
Hi Ladies,

I've been at this CG thing for about 3 months.
I've been cutting my hair about once a month, just a little trim to get the damage off.
My hair is changing all the time, even after every deep conditioner or protein its so much different. I've looked at so many freakin curls over the last few months that I'm seriously lost lol. I THINK my hair is in the 3's but I'm not sure. I could be wrong. Do I have curl dysmorphia? (belief that my hair is curly when its just wavy) lol. I realize its kind of simple and you should be able to just "look" and tell, however my hair is changing so fast and depending on how its styled it looks different. Honestly, I live in a climate where its always worst case scenario dews/humidity so I'm quite interested to see the potential in a more ideal environment.
Thanks for any input! :-)

Question for girls with bangs: Did shortening that part of your hair help the curls? If you got a devacut, how were the bangs cut? Curl by curl or in more blunt type layering? I'm going for my devacut next month and I'm considering getting bangs to help the top layer of my hair which is the only part that is lagging behind. Everytime I lop some off it improves though.

Type: 3a | NP | med-fine but high den | bob
NP: Deva NP, DC low poo, ACV rinses
RO: Deva 1 Cond orig or decadence
DC: DC HIC, SM JBCO mask
LI: 1 Cond, B'leavin
Styler: Deva SPC or reg SC
Gels: DC LDG, Bouncecurl
Refresh: water w Lavender oil.
Scalp: Lav/jojoba/rosem/pep oils.
Airdry, wait 30 mins before diffusing.
Loves a little protein in stylers! Hates heavy stuff.

Comments

• SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
    I forgot to say..
    For anyone else new to this just starting, here are a few observations that might help you or might be wrong for you - I just thought I'd say anyway. Wrong or right, the tips I've gotten from these forums have been so good!

1. Low porosity hair needs protein too! Of course, this is based on the individual needs but if you're deep conditioning like mad and still not seeing results, try a protein treatment. When I started 3 mo ago I'd alternate between moisture and protein masks and used heat which brings me to 2.

2. Microwave heat cap is your friend! Using heat made the masks into something other than a very pricey detangled for me.

3. Low porosity hair can appear to be healthy and shiny when theres heat damage and build-up. I used to blow-dry, curl, and straighten my hair with heat, wave irons etc I loved it all, I didn't even use them all the time and still my hair looked so out of whack! Thinner even. Just because it looks glossy doesn't mean its healthy. The healthiest parts of my hair now are a combo of light and fluffy but also strong and elastic (curls bounce quickly back). The glossier parts that are straighter and shinier lay more limp.

4. When you start, you might need to clarify a bunch of times. This seems to go against everything you're reading. " stop the harsh detergents and sulfates etc" but if you've been using silicones and have low porosity hair, your hair probably has LAYERS of stuff on it. That was the case with me. I jumped right into Shea Moisture when I started...Most of their products are wrong for me unless I really dilute them. Back then I saw some girl do CES on damp hair in large amounts. I tried that too, my hair was flat, frizzy and greased lightning! I still had a slick feeling from cones and hard water. My hair couldn't get the benefits of the deep conditioners until I got that crap off my hair.

5. If your hair takes forever to air-dry now, that might improve as your hair gets healthier. This makes sense because you've shed layers of gunk from bad products and your hair can get moisture that it needs and isn't coated because we're using good water-soluble products. When I started it took overnight to dry. Simply wasn't an option. I HAD to diffuse. Now, it depends on the products I use but the quickest its dried is 5 hours. 6-7 is more realistic..but I'll take it.

6. Airdry before diffusing at least 30 mins. This helps the stylers/gels to set before blowing hair and disturbing it.

7. How you apply totally matters and thats diff for everyone - keep experimenting with how you apply the products and whether its to wet or damp hair. I like to put my products on wet hair, not dripping, but wet. I squeeze the water out after I use 1 condition as a leave in..then I put on a curl cream and gel mixed together. I do a combo of smoothing with praying hands and raking then scrunching with hands and then microfiber towel. Water really helps the products get to all of the hair so you don't end up with a wtf patch.

8. Waiting till its fully dry to fluff or pick is worth it! Your hair will last longer and be fuller.

9. You might just have to mist/spray your hair everyday for a while until it gets stronger or you cut the damage off. Even if you had great day 1 curls, sometimes day 2 is like starting over.

10. Sleeping with a pineapple doesn't work for everyone. I have to combo pineapple plus bonnet or else I'll have to get all of my hair wet the next day. I get indentures easy from scrunchies....I use a satin scrunchy btw.

11. Don't be afraid to trim the very ends off each curl. This has worked wonders for me! The results are instant.

Anyway, I hope any of this helps someone starting out to avoid some of the mistakes I made! Still feeling foolish for not embracing my curls years ago...

keeps double posting! weird server glitch.

• curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi there :) those were great tips, I made a lot of mistakes in the beginning too, and had to read all over the place for the stuff you just wrote, so it'll definitely help people. Your curls look like a 3a type to me, and healthy, too :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
    Thanks for saying :-) I sure did a lot of things wrong but I've learned so much. I'm so grateful for these forums and all the youtubers! If I had to start again, that list would have helped.

I thought 3a too - though under that top layer thats still looser, just under the grown of my head is getting crazy. I think as it continues to grow it might be tighter than the rest of my head. If only a year had passed already lol. I've got a feeling its going to take at least that to really grow out all the dead weight and cut it all off. I think i'm going to get a long bob cut soon with short pieces on top and maybe bangs..just going for the cut that gets the most bad ends off without leaving me bald. Going to be interesting.
    Have you ever gotten a devacut?

Thanks for saying :-) I sure did a lot of things wrong but I've learned so much. I'm so grateful for these forums and all the youtubers! If I had to start again, that list would have helped.

I thought 3a too - though under that top layer thats still looser, just under the grown of my head is getting crazy. I think as it continues to grow it might be tighter than the rest of my head. If only a year had passed already lol. I've got a feeling its going to take at least that to really grow out all the dead weight and cut it all off. I think i'm going to get a long bob cut soon with short pieces on top and maybe bangs..just going for the cut that gets the most bad ends off without leaving me bald. Going to be interesting.
    Have you ever gotten a devacut?

• Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Posts: 74Registered Users
    Yeah, 3A.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file