Wavy 2a/2b using MopTop

freygalfreygal Posts: 7Registered Users
Tried a few MopTop samples today and I'm impressed. My hair has clumpy waves, shine, and best of all it's soft and touchable (hallelujah!). I used the Gentle Shampoo, Daily Conditioner, Leave-In Conditioner, and Curly Hair Custard.

They are having a sale through the end of Oct. 2016, so I'm getting ready to order some full size products. Would love to hear what you love from this line and how you use it.

According to their website, I should probably use the Light Conditioner rather than the Daily Conditioner. If you've compared these, please share you thoughts.

Would also like some input on their Curly Hair Custard vs one of their gels.

I've tried to go CG in the past, and I always give up because of the product build up in my hair and on my scalp. I've used mostly DevaCurl, Shea Moisture, and Kinky Curly products in the past. But today, I'm so happy with how soft my hair feels and looks, frizz is under control, and it's holding well throughout the entire day.

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations on products you've tried from MopTop. Chupie, some of your posts and video made me want to try this brand and I'm so glad I did.

I need to set up a profile, but here's my info for now:
Type 2a/2b, porous, fine, colored, frizzy, dry

Comments

• BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've been wanting to try these but I'm trying to avoid being a product junkie.
    I'm interested in hearing more reviews.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • wycurlswycurls Posts: 47Registered Users
    I tried all of their products, and they were not moisturizing enough for me. The custard had something in it that made my scalp irrated and itchy. Its really nice they have samples, so we can test it out first
  • freygalfreygal Posts: 7Registered Users
    On second day hair, and I'm still very pleased with these products. My hair is still soft and touchable, with soft clumpy waves, and no product build up. This morning I scrunched in some warm water, a dime size of Leave-in, and then a dime size of Curly Hair Custard, clipped the crown and air-dried. Normally I need to wash my hair just so I can run a comb through it with condish, but I can easily finger detangle my hair and my scalp isn't begging for mercy. My hair feels moisturized. Very pleased.
  • freygalfreygal Posts: 7Registered Users
    Duplicate post, sorry.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I tried the custard, but it weighed my hair down and elongated the curl. But I am low porosity.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I tried the custard, but it weighed my hair down and elongated the curl. But I am low porosity.

I had the same problem with this product even with high porosity hair. Though I haven't tried it since chopping off my damaged hair. But lots of products weigh my hair down anyways.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I've been using the Mop Top daily conditioner bamboo and I LOVE it. It makes my hair feel really soft. The down side is, I have thick long hair. It doesn't take me long to go through the tiny 8 oz bottles. The gentle shampoo is great for days when I do use a shampoo. And I love the clarifying rescue treatment. I almost didn't buy the clarifying treatment because it was such a tiny bottle but I was pleasantly surprised how far a little bit goes. It also wasn't harsh on my hair. As far as the curly custard, I wasn't super impressed. It works well for my 2nd day spray gel but it doesn't give me enough frizz control for wash day gel. I did like how it was a soft hold though.
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
  • chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Custard as my only gel/last step doesn't keep my hair defined in high dew points/humidity, even on first day hair and if it's second/third day hair I'm a guaranteed frizz ball. On the rare days where I live that it isn't so humid/hot out I get satisfactory first day hair but I do have to put in more effort into refreshing second thru fourth day hair. When I run out I won't be repurchasing, in my opinion LA Looks Mega Mega is a good dupe, performs similarly when SOTC but gives me more consistent, longer lasting results than the Custard plus it's more affordable.

The Daily Condish in Bamboo, I was really curious after a YouTuber said she considered it better than GVP Condish' Balm as her HG Conditioner (which is my HG as well). Pros: doesn't build up, doesn't bother my scalp. Cons: not enough slip and moisture for my liking, I have to use a large amount each wash, pricey. Don't find it better than GVP, won't be repurchasing.
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
    [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
    [*]Cream: SM CES
    [*]LI: As I Am LI
    [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
  • chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    dupe
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
    [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
    [*]Cream: SM CES
    [*]LI: As I Am LI
    [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file