New here!! Need hair analysis and product suggestions please!

faithiebee1234faithiebee1234 Posts: 21Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello! I'm 26 and I just discovered that there are different types of hair! My mind is blown. I knew mine was wavy but I didn't know there was a certain way to take care of it. I'm a caucasian female and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere between 2a and 2b. It floats so my best guess is low porosity? The strands themselves are pretty fine but I have a lot of hair. It's about midway down my back. It tangles easily and just kind of does it's own thing most of the time. It might be more frizzy than I think it is. Thought I had that under control with the morrocan oil but maybe not as much as I think I do. My goals are more curl/wave. I've tried different things over the years for more defined curls/waves. It does not like to hold curls. I'll spend a couple hours curling my hair and it will be flat in 15 minutes. I've used different heat products and curl formers. I currently use Aussie Megamoist shampoo and conditioner and Moroccan oil. I use a wide tooth comb to comb it out when it's wet. It definitely looks better the less i mess with it while it's drying. I rarely blow dry. I haven't tried CG because I just learned about it last night. I would prefer cheaper product recommendations such as things I can buy easily at Target or Walmart or CVS or Walgreens or somewhere similar. I can't afford expensive products and I hate spending a lot of time on my hair. The simpler the routine and more affordable the better. So, HELP how do I hair?? Thanks!! Looking forward to your responses. Pic is of my hair right out of a messy bun unbrushed/combed with a day old wash (I'll wash it tonight. I usually wash it every other day).

I'm thinking about trying the Organix products. Anyone have experience with them?
Northern Colorado 2b Wavy. Fine strands, but LOTS of it. Still learning how to take care of my hair in this dry environment! 

Current products for winter that seem to be working:
SM coconut and hibiscus shampoo
SM coconut and hibiscus conditioner  
Looking for a new gel but currently using LA looks yellow gel
searching for a leave in (maybe)

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, here is a thread with a list of CG friendly products, some of which can be purchased in the drugstore:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/147483-cg-friendly-products-list.html
    Ignore the porosity test; it's not accurate. The only way to know for sure it to get a formal hair analysis. But another way to tell is how it acts. How long does it take to dry, and does it drink product up, does product just sit on it, or somewhere in-between?
    If your waves are getting flat, you need a gel, maybe a strong hold gel.
    If you start the CG method, you will find that your curl keeps increasing. I started out a 2a and now I'm closer to 3a, and there have been even more dramatic transformations on this board. So if you're looking for more curl, you've found the right method. :)
    I highly recommend getting and reading CG: The Handbook. It's like a "bible" of curly hair care, and it would answer your questions and then some.
    I don't know how strong your shampoo is, but when I do shampoo, I use mostly Shea Moisture Weightless Fruit Fusion (I, too, have fine hair). It's gentle and not drying. Since your hair is tangle prone it's likely very dry. You may want to try a deep treatment (you can make your own if it's too costly. Fenugreek is one way to make your own.).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Edited: double post.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • faithiebee1234faithiebee1234 Posts: 21Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for your reply! I really only use the Moroccan oil which my hair loves so I'm not sure how it reacts to other products. I couldn't survive without my Moroccan oil. I can only use it when my hair is wet though or it looks greasy. It dries pretty quickly. Within a few hours I guess it's mostly dry. I've never really timed it haha. I have to wash every other day minimum or it's greasy, at least to me. My hair stylist says my hair is healthy but it does snarl easily. I don't cut it very often so maybe that would make a difference. I get it trimmed every few months or so. I like it long so I don't want to lose a lot of length. That's why I don't cut it regularly. This is all so interesting!
    Northern Colorado 2b Wavy. Fine strands, but LOTS of it. Still learning how to take care of my hair in this dry environment! 

When you say Moroccan oil, is that product CG friendly? If not that may be your whole problem.

Your hair *might* be greasy because it is washed too harshly, too often.

I forget the exact times, but I think if your hair dries in less than 6 hours, it's high porosity, and if it takes much longer than that it's low, and if it's somewhere in-between it's medium.

If you try CG it would involve giving up products, even ones you like, in order to give it a fair shot to work. Once you start CG, your hair will change and it will react differently to products than it does now anyways.

In case this helps, I'll tell you my routine (since I also have fine hair). It's different from most.
    I wash, then flip upside down, run my hands through the roots to pull them away from my scalp., then add more water to the lengths of my hair to reclump it (as running my hands through breaks clumps). Then I scrunch some water out with my hands. Then I take use spray of epsom salt (boiled in water to help minimize the drying effect epsom salt has). Then I scrunch out lots more water with a microfiber towel, then I spray in some water mixed with a protein conditioner, scrunch out water again. Then I scrunch in a little bit of my homemade irish moss jelly. Then I diffuse, scrunch in some SCE volume foam, diffuse til almost dry, spray with IN perfect hold hairspray (gives strong hold without weighing down the hair), then SOTC once dry.

Btw, fine hair loves protein, and it increases curl. You can try a protein treatment. There's an easy homemade one here:
    Science-y Hair Blog: Recipes and Projects
    You just need gelatin (very cheap) and water; other ingredients optional.

Too much protein can make hair stiff, and if you find this to be the case after a protein treatment, you want to follow up with either conditioning or deep conditioning.

3A/f/i
    When you say Moroccan oil, is that product CG friendly? If not that may be your whole problem.

Your hair *might* be greasy because it is washed too harshly, too often.

I forget the exact times, but I think if your hair dries in less than 6 hours, it's high porosity, and if it takes much longer than that it's low, and if it's somewhere in-between it's medium.

If you try CG it would involve giving up products, even ones you like, in order to give it a fair shot to work. Once you start CG, your hair will change and it will react differently to products than it does now anyways.

In case this helps, I'll tell you my routine (since I also have fine hair). It's different from most.
    I wash, then flip upside down, run my hands through the roots to pull them away from my scalp., then add more water to the lengths of my hair to reclump it (as running my hands through breaks clumps). Then I scrunch some water out with my hands. Then I take use spray of epsom salt (boiled in water to help minimize the drying effect epsom salt has). Then I scrunch out lots more water with a microfiber towel, then I spray in some water mixed with a protein conditioner, scrunch out water again. Then I scrunch in a little bit of my homemade irish moss jelly. Then I diffuse, scrunch in some SCE volume foam, diffuse til almost dry, spray with IN perfect hold hairspray (gives strong hold without weighing down the hair), then SOTC once dry.

Btw, fine hair loves protein, and it increases curl. You can try a protein treatment. There's an easy homemade one here:
    Science-y Hair Blog: Recipes and Projects
    You just need gelatin (very cheap) and water; other ingredients optional.

Too much protein can make hair stiff, and if you find this to be the case after a protein treatment, you want to follow up with either conditioning or deep conditioning.

3A/f/i
    It's definitely dry in less than 6 hours. I'll attach a pic of the Moroccan oil I use. No clue if it's CG friendly or not.

That's the only splurge I do on my hair right now haha. I'm all about the wash and go type routine. I'd be willing to do a few more steps if I have to to get the results I'm hoping for, but not willing or able to spend that much money on all of my hair products though.

• joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    It's definitely dry in less than 6 hours. I'll attach a pic of the Moroccan oil I use. No clue if it's CG friendly or not.

No, the Morrocan Oil isn't CG friendly. It has Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone. Here's an article about silicones. 10 Silicones in Curly Hair Products to Avoid I would also recommend getting the curly girl handbook. I found mine at Half Price books in almost new condition for $6.99. Here is a few article to get you started though.How to Follow the Curly Girl Method 15 Curly Girl Method Approved Products10 Drugstore Products for the Curly Girl Method
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
    This is all so overwhelming right now. I'll look at the book tomorrow. My brain can't handle anymore hair info at the moment lol.

• biogirl87biogirl87 Posts: 30Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for your reply! I really only use the Moroccan oil which my hair loves so I'm not sure how it reacts to other products. I couldn't survive without my Moroccan oil. I can only use it when my hair is wet though or it looks greasy. It dries pretty quickly. Within a few hours I guess it's mostly dry. I've never really timed it haha. I have to wash every other day minimum or it's greasy, at least to me. My hair stylist says my hair is healthy but it does snarl easily. I don't cut it very often so maybe that would make a difference. I get it trimmed every few months or so. I like it long so I don't want to lose a lot of length. That's why I don't cut it regularly. This is all so interesting!
    That's the only splurge I do on my hair right now haha. I'm all about the wash and go type routine. I'd be willing to do a few more steps if I have to to get the results I'm hoping for, but not willing or able to spend that much money on all of my hair products though.

These are both huge reasons why I suggested not looking at CG too much if you like your hair long. With long hair, CG is not going to be wash and go. The only wavy with long hair that I know of who is CG is able to be that way is disabled. Otherwise, it's spend at least 40 minutes just detangling your hair, then sit around still like a statue doing nothing for hours upon hours. Who on earth has that kind of time unless they're Duchess of Cambridge or Queen of England?

Curly girl girls, if I am being too blunt of hurting you, I am speaking out of my own experience. I have tried several times to go curly girl since 2012 and each time give up because it is not wash and go. It is a ton of work and takes a ridiculously long time for hair to dry each and every time, even with my medium-high porosity hair and I imagine it is even worse for people with low porosity. To me, going curly girl means spending a ton of money on products and the only time anyone would have time for this is to hire servants.

Faith.Below, I am serious. Going curly girl will create work for you. For those days when you want your hair to look wavy or curly, I've found mousses do the job just as well, with less work. Keep your hair long and join us at the long hair forums on untamedtresses.com.
    My hair gets tangly but it doesn't take 40 minutes to detangle. More like a few minutes. I've learned how to combat it over the years. I appreciate your advice. I'm not interested in cutting my hair and like I stated before I'm fine adding a few steps to my routine if it helps my hair. I'm not looking for another forum right now but I'll keep you in mind. Besides, even if it doesn't work using a silicone and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner is still better for my hair.

Book obtained! Ready to study! Thanks everyone!

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I tried to comment last night, but this site is not cooperating with my computer! Anyway, the Aussie products you are using are not CG-friendly either. The shampoo is a sulfate shampoo, and the conditioner contains a silicone. As Joslin 2005 mentioned, you'll want to avoid silicones. Silicones coat the hair and are very tough to wash off; a shampoo with sulfates is what is required to cleanse the hair of silicone build-up, but sulfate shampoos are very stripping, so over time they dehydrate the hair, causing loss of curl.

The CG method does not work for everyone, but it is a great place to get started. Many of us started with CG and then modified it, sometimes going back to a gentle shampoo (sulfate free) for cleansing, or alternating between shampoo and conditioner cleansing (i.e., cleansing your hair with conditioner, which is the basis of CG). Some people even go back to sulfate shampoos, but there are gentler formulations on the market now.

The big thing about CG is it helps you see what your hair is like without silicones (silicones mask hair dryness), so you can start working with the natural state of your hair. Over time, your hair will change, and you will tweak the method, because some things that worked initially won't work anymore. But there is still plenty you can do at your current hair length to encourage curl.

There is also a sticky on one of the subforums about techniques for curly hair. This would be good reading info.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I tried to comment last night, but this site is not cooperating with my computer! Anyway, the Aussie products you are using are not CG-friendly either. The shampoo is a sulfate shampoo, and the conditioner contains a silicone. As Joslin 2005 mentioned, you'll want to avoid silicones. Silicones coat the hair and are very tough to wash off; a shampoo with sulfates is what is required to cleanse the hair of silicone build-up, but sulfate shampoos are very stripping, so over time they dehydrate the hair, causing loss of curl.

The CG method does not work for everyone, but it is a great place to get started. Many of us started with CG and then modified it, sometimes going back to a gentle shampoo (sulfate free) for cleansing, or alternating between shampoo and conditioner cleansing (i.e., cleansing your hair with conditioner, which is the basis of CG). Some people even go back to sulfate shampoos, but there are gentler formulations on the market now.

The big thing about CG is it helps you see what your hair is like without silicones (silicones mask hair dryness), so you can start working with the natural state of your hair. Over time, your hair will change, and you will tweak the method, because some things that worked initially won't work anymore. But there is still plenty you can do at your current hair length to encourage curl.

There is also a sticky on one of the subforums about techniques for curly hair. This would be good reading info.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 wrote: »

Therese1, as far as I know shampoos that contain cocamidopropyl betaine can remove silicones as well. With the harshness of Sodium C14-16 Oleinsulfonate being comparable to SLS, I would guess that it can remove silicones as well.
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't feel that long hair CG takes tons of time. My hair is 31" when pulled straight. It took more time finding my routine but I'm happy now that I've made some headway. Currently I do a prepoo and go about my day with my hair up( I rotate between EVOO, jojoba or Africa's Best). No one knows because my hair is up and soaking it all in. When I'm ready I cowash with a mix of Suave Apple and agave in an applicator bottle mix with water. This is an easy way to get it on my scalp. I co wash upside down because its easier to get access to my scalp that way. Rinse . I do a few other things but that's due to hard water. I leave my hair in a microfiber towel for only a couple mins then add my leave in and add a little EcoStyler or KCCC. I scrunch a little but then I put my hair either in a pineapple or scrunch it up into a large claw clip and let it be. This gives me some volume but mostly it keeps my hands out if my hair. That's it. It's not really a lot and I can also just use conditioner-only style. Subsequent days are all about refreshing sprays to add moisture back. Hope something in here helps.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    Wavycat wrote: »
    I don't feel that long hair CG takes tons of time. My hair is 31" when pulled straight. It took more time finding my routine but I'm happy now that I've made some headway. Currently I do a prepoo and go about my day with my hair up( I rotate between EVOO, jojoba or Africa's Best). No one knows because my hair is up and soaking it all in. When I'm ready I cowash with a mix of Suave Apple and agave in an applicator bottle mix with water. This is an easy way to get it on my scalp. I co wash upside down because its easier to get access to my scalp that way. Rinse . I do a few other things but that's due to hard water. I leave my hair in a microfiber towel for only a couple mins then add my leave in and add a little EcoStyler or KCCC. I scrunch a little but then I put my hair either in a pineapple or scrunch it up into a large claw clip and let it be. This gives me some volume but mostly it keeps my hands out if my hair. That's it. It's not really a lot and I can also just use conditioner-only style. Subsequent days are all about refreshing sprays to add moisture back. Hope something in here helps.

That's very helpful!! Thank you!

Yes, people's hair routine and time varies. I don't feel that CG vs non CG is a time factor necessarily. I found that over time as my hair got healthy, I don't need to pamper it much. I basically just wash and go. My hair is short, but when it was longer (though less healthy), I would wake up with day 2 hair, no effort necessary to revive.

3A/f/i
    I personally find CG time saving. I switched to a wash and go style a few years ago because it took so long to style my hair. I was straightening, curling, blow drying, applying tons of products, perms, constantly trying new brands because many didn't work, and I noticed the health my hair began dwindling. And it if rained, I had to start over b/c my hair would frizz up. I have long hair and have mainly kept it long for majority of my life. Only recently have I adopted the CG method. My switch was probably not as drastic as others were when switching to CG. I was already using a CG shampoo/conditioner because my hair would would be worse with other brands and I try to stick with natural brands. I was using a mouse that wasn't CG friendly and brushing my 2nd/3rd day waves.

The most consuming process of CG is learning the do's and don'ts. I'm still learning and by no means have even half of CG figured out but the information has been so valuable to me. Now I know why my hair hated the many many brands of shampoo/conditioner I had tried. I've been trying the CG for about a 1.5 months give or take and already see a difference. I always got compliments on my hair before CG but I've seen some great improvements in such a little amount of time. My husband loves CG. lol Yeah, a guy noticed the improvement. Enough said. haha

I had stumbled across CG a few years ago when deciding to work with my hair instead of against it, but it all seemed soooo complicated. Now I kick myself in the butt! I wish I would have switched a long time ago. My best advice is read the book. The site can be difficult to maneuver around but has some useful information. Learn your hairs curl pattern, density, porosity, density, width here Learn About Curly Hair. Start out with CG approved products until you learn the terminology, what to look for, etc. CurlMart is also a place check out for products. I wish there was an app that let you scan a product and tell you if it was CG approved. It would makes things easier. And just take it a little at a time. We'll get there! And then we will have it all figured out like the veterans on the site. :-)
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
    I personally find CG time saving. I switched to a wash and go style a few years ago because it took so long to style my hair. I was straightening, curling, blow drying, applying tons of products, perms, constantly trying new brands because many didn't work, and I noticed the health my hair began dwindling. And it if rained, I had to start over b/c my hair would frizz up. I have long hair and have mainly kept it long for majority of my life. Only recently have I adopted the CG method. My switch was probably not as drastic as others were when switching to CG. I was already using a CG shampoo/conditioner because my hair would would be worse with other brands and I try to stick with natural brands. I was using a mouse that wasn't CG friendly and brushing my 2nd/3rd day waves.

The most consuming process of CG is learning the do's and don'ts. I'm still learning and by no means have even half of CG figured out but the information has been so valuable to me. Now I know why my hair hated the many many brands of shampoo/conditioner I had tried. I've been trying the CG for about a 1.5 months give or take and already see a difference. I always got compliments on my hair before CG but I've seen some great improvements in such a little amount of time. My husband loves CG. lol Yeah, a guy noticed the improvement. Enough said. haha

I had stumbled across CG a few years ago when deciding to work with my hair instead of against it, but it all seemed soooo complicated. Now I kick myself in the butt! I wish I would have switched a long time ago. My best advice is read the book. The site can be difficult to maneuver around but has some useful information. Learn your hairs curl pattern, density, porosity, density, width here Learn About Curly Hair. Start out with CG approved products until you learn the terminology, what to look for, etc. CurlMart is also a place check out for products. I wish there was an app that let you scan a product and tell you if it was CG approved. It would makes things easier. And just take it a little at a time. We'll get there! And then we will have it all figured out like the veterans on the site. :-)
    joslin2005 wrote: »

joslin2005 (and naturecat), I admit you have changed my mind about CG. I apologize to you and other curlies, wavies who are CG. I was wrong and thank you for showing it to me. I know I do not deserve it, but I ask if you would consider forgiving me.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The only long part about a CG wash and go is dry time, especially for the low pos.

Recommend investing in a hood dryer. A couple of hundred bucks spent saves me hours of dry time!

The longer I do CG the more curl I can get out of my hair. I actually didn't know it was this curly!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
    biogirl87 wrote: »
    joslin2005 (and naturecat), I admit you have changed my mind about CG. I apologize to you and other curlies, wavies who are CG. I was wrong and thank you for showing it to me. I know I do not deserve it, but I ask if you would consider forgiving me.

I didn't mean anything by my reply simply telling my experience with CG. I wasn't trying to change your mind and wasn't trying to show you. Everyone has their own experience and opinions. CG doesn't work for everyone, but for me I've had great results. I wish it worked for you as well. I'm sorry if my post came across as offensive or rude. That wasn't my intention.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file