Constantly poofy hair!

caitlincurlscaitlincurls Posts: 35Registered Users
I'm currently in a constant struggle with my hair and decided to see if you guys have suggestions.

No matter what I do, I seem to always have extremely poofy, frizzy hair and can't find a product that prevents this. I have pretty solidly 3B hair, for reference.

Most recently I've tried Ouidad Climate Control gel, Devacurl Ultra defining gel and devacurl arc angel in large quantities and it still doesn't seem to do anything. Today I used a HUGE amount of arc angel and it still poofed up almost immediately.

Anyone having luck with any products in particular?
Currently using:
Cleanser: SM Curl and Shine Shampoo, DevaCurl Low Poo, Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadance One Condition
DT: The Mane Choice Green Tea & Carrot Deep Conditioning Mask
Leave-In: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
Styler: KCCC, CK, LA Looks SG, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's not just products, it's also hair health and technique.

How often are you moisturizing and how are you doing it- prepoo, deep conditioning, etc? Are you balancing that with protein? Do you use silicones or sulfates, have you clarified?

How are you applying product? Soaking wet hair, towel dried? Are you using a towel or a t-shirt? Are you raking, scrunching or a combination thereof? Do you put in a leave in conditioner first? Have you tried LOC/LCO? Do you air dry or diffuse?

Personally, just in terms of product, I was really disappointed by Ouidad's climate control gel. It just does not work for me at all. I have found that the firmer the gel, the better the poof control. For example, Ouidad's CC gel is really runny and gives me little poof control, but LA Looks Sports Gel is thick and almost stiff and gives me great poof control (too much in low humidity, in fact). I don't know if that will help you at all, but it's worth a shot.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • caitlincurlscaitlincurls Posts: 35Registered Users
    Definitely worth a shot! I'm pretty diligent about keeping my heart healthy. I use low poo every other day and co-wash in between. I use devacurl one condition for a conditioner and as a leave-in.

I will definitely give la looks gel a shot! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Currently using:
    Cleanser: SM Curl and Shine Shampoo, DevaCurl Low Poo, Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I want to say that BeinDeb (a member on this forum) has this problem and solved it by using castor oil on her hair after washing (in other words, on wet hair, not dry).

I'm curious to see if you left some conditioner in your hair during your final rinse if that would help at all.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    True story. I have a baby fine, naturally porous, cotton candy poof of hair that grows out of my head. So much so, that I never knew my hair was really curly (I'm a 3a), until I found CG and this forum. These days, my hair and I cohabitate mostly peaceably for the first time in my 50 somethin' years!

As Therese1 mentioned, castor oil has become a mandatory staple for me. In the summer, I mix castor oil and avacado oil (50/50) to use on my hair immediately after exiting the shower, and prior to applying anything else. In the winter I use it straight (castor oil only). I smooth maybe a dime size amount (my hair is currently shoulder length) all over my head and then squish it in good (I'll apply more water if I'm not getting the "squish" noise), making sure to concentrate on the ends. Any other products such as leave-ins, creams, gels, etc, are applied after the oiling.

I'll also add, that for me and my hair type, the protein/moisture balance is essential. Protein is a must, but it also requires moisture. Towards that end, I make sure I use both. Usually, I'll shampoo and deep condition (I DC every time I wash - once or twice a week) with products containing some protein. Then, if I use a leave-in, cream and/or gel, I'll make sure they're primarily protein free, or at least with protein listed way down on the ingredient list. Or, vice versa. I'll shampoo & condition with a product containing little or no protein, and use a leave-in and/or gel that contains protein (listed on the packaging towards the top). Deciding which to do is based on the weather and the current range of dewpoints. When they're high, I'll go for the protein base (shampoo & conditioner), but when they're low, I'll focus more on moisture.
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to have to give oil first a try. Oils don't work for me except as a prepoo treatment, which I thought was because my hair is fine and thin, but I didn't try oil first, I tried LOC/LCO.

Beindeb, do you think olive oil would work, or do you think castor oil specifically is necessary? Have you tried other oils? (My hair loooooves olive oil as a prepoo.)
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    You won't know until you try! Lol. Half of the fun of CG is playing mad scientist. The key to this whole deal is learning to "listen" to your hair, and giving it what it wants/likes. You may want to check out "Science-y Hair Blog" (just Google it). She has a ton of scientific info on all sorts of things curly hair related.

My hair seems to do fine with oils. I used to prepoo with various oils until I started using the castor oil. I think of all the products I've tried (hangs head in shame...I suspect I've spent a small fortune) using it has made the biggest difference in my hair and most assuredly the poof factor. Don't get me wrong, my hair still has a LOT of body, but now, it has definition instead of looking like cotton candy.
    Double post
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hmmmm I have some castor oil from oil washing method. I've been debating using it in my hair and thought I would try it deeper in the winter but you are making me want to try it now. So you put it in before anything else. Interesting. I'm torn because I find the prepoo oiling so easy. It is tempting. Will have to contemplate at what stage I might incorporate it into my routine. Maybe I'll try it in my ends on day 2 and after just to try it out now.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry, double post.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    Back in the days when I was really struggling with all of the CG methods, as well as looking frantically for that miracle product, I noticed one phrase kept popping up in articles and forums. That was that water is THE primary moisturizer for your hair. If that was true, I reasoned that the key to this whole deal must be to keep the water in. That's why I started using oil as my first product.

Now, my routine has evolved to a very simple one. I wash with a low-poo or the occasional sulfate, use a mask or deep conditioner to condition with, and follow up with the oil on very wet hair. The last step is to apply a gel...usually KCCC. Then air dry or diffuse using low heat. The second day, I will apply some sort of a leave in conditioner by scrunching in with wet hands. Day 3 and on, is usually a few spritzes of water that has peppermint eo, using a fine mister...I refer to that as "feeding the beast." Occasionally, I'll add a bit more KCCC. I also have learned never to touch my hair with dry hands. I think that's helped just as much as the oil.
    Triple post???
    Triple post???
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We have different hair types but whenever my hair is puffy it can be one of several things. I may need to clarify, do a protein treatment, add moisture, or avoid glycerin (that's a climate thing though). Seems like you use enough gel, are you also using plenty of moisturizer? I've often heard that frizzy hair is thirsty hair reaching out for something in the atmosphere.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, do any of your products have glycerin? That can cause frizzing and a lot of people can't use it, myself included.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi, do any of your products have glycerin? That can cause frizzing and a lot of people can't use it, myself included.

I second this. It might be something to look into.

I've been feeling this lately. Every time I try a product with glycerin in it, my hair very quickly feels like a haystack. I think I've eliminated the other usual suspects. I didn't realize this until recently. I just tried mop top curly custard and thought, oh wow the hold is pretty good. However, my hair just dried out and felt like straw and got frizzier and frizzier as time went on. Lo and behold glycerin is high on the ingredients. It's in a lot of products I've noticed.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, its frustrating, because it (glycerin) really is in a lot of products. It makes me wish I lived in a climate that was always right in the middle when it comes to dewpoints and humidity, but nope! I live in the south lol

Wow. I'm obviously incredibly slow on the uptake, but I finally gave a real shot to using castor oil on my wet hair after a shower. What a game changer--you guys are brilliant!

My hair has been an absolute nightmare for probably a year or so. Nothing I did seemed to do anything, I was about to cave and pay for a Keratin treatment because I couldn't figure anything else out.

Castor oil and glycerin free products are a total game changer. I got second day hair for the first time in YEARS today. Thank you so much for the advice!

Do you all use oil on your hair after the shower in the summer as well? My hair really struggles in the summer, often it gets sticky and frizzy. I'm concerned that castor oil might make my hair sticky when it's more humid. Does your routine change in the summer?
    Currently using:
  • krispykrispy Posts: 320Registered Users
    Caitlin curls.
    I'm glad you found something that works thanks to the wonderful ladies who replied! My question is where to get the castor oil? Is baby oil the same thing?? also what is your routine now?
    Thanks!Krispy
    2c/3a

Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace

Best combo so far:
    SheaMosture Curl and shine milk , Ouidad heat and humidity gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've gotten castor oil at my natural foods co-op, but I think they probably have it at a Walgreens, CVS, or other drug store. Baby oil is mineral oil, which is different.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I usually get my castor oil from Amazon, as I like the Jamaican black castor oil. If you're not particular, you can get just regular castor oil @ any drugstore. Normally, they'll have by the laxatives or stomach care products. Also, in the summer, I don't use it straight. I mix it 50-50 with avacado oil.
    Great tip; I will invest in some avocado oil as well for summer.

Right now I'm a huge fan of leaving in a little conditioner after I shower (I use DevaCurl Decadence One Condition) and then putting on the castor oil, then I use SM Curl & Style milk, and then put on KCCC and a bit of LA Looks Sports Gel. Epic.

Thanks, everyone!
    Currently using:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file