Looking for a simple routine + other questions

Maggie83Maggie83 Posts: 2Registered Users
Here's my hair, pretty sure it's 2c. Its very thick and coarse. It's curly on top and wavy/straighter underneath; the curls kind of all combine when my hair dries. The front usually stays pretty separated and curly, but the back almost always frizzed and clumps together.
I used gel for years, but didn't like how it made my hair all crispy. So maybe 2-3 years ago I switched to the garnier cream and finished off with the gel spray. (I also always leave conditioner in after I shampoo and that greatly cuts down on the frizz and puffiness) But I feel like that's a lot of steps and products and would like to just cut some stuff out and use something simpler - somethings that doesn't make my hair crispy, yet still holds the curl and doesn't let it frizz. Any suggestions?? I used to twirl my curls around my finger to make them hold better, but again, a lot of work.
Also, where do u part your hair? I always had mine on the side, but didn't like how on side had more hair than the other, so I switched to the middle (it was often inclined to go that way anyway). I still always feel like I'm pinning it back, and would love to just style it and go without it falling in my face!

Comments

• Maggie83Maggie83 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Here's the back of my hair...its freshly washed and styled, so it hasn't gone puffy/frizzy yet
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have any suggestions from experience, since my hair is very different from yours (very fine and less curl), but have you ever visited RockynCurls' blog? She also has a YouTube channel. Her hair is similar to yours (2b/2c, coarse), and she might have some tips.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My properties are opposite yours (baby fine) though 2c/3a curl type. I love irish moss jelly. It adds some crispiness but not as much as gelatin hair gel/commercial hair gels. It has a lot of hold if you layer it on. There's also flax seed gel which some people add some hold to. Andalou Naturals has a gel, medium hold. that is almost more like a cream in that it doesn't have stiff hold or crispiness.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I also have thick, coarse hair. My hair is some curls in the very front and more relaxed waves in the back, curlier underneath. Still not sure what you consider my curl type as it seems I have alot going on. haha

Have you clarified? This made a huge difference in my hair. Also, do you know your porosity? I personally can not use Garnier products as they worsen my hair. I recently found out it was because of the polyquads in the Garnier products.

Have you tried Kinky Curly Curling Custard? It makes my hair hard and crunchy as it's drying but once the gel cast opens up, it's soft. Same thing with the Cantu Define & Shine Custard. These 2 gels are very different than gels I have tried in the past. I don't know if everyone has this experience but that's how it works for my hair.....If you don't want to wait for the gel cast to open up on it's own, once it is dry, you can gently scrunch it to get the gel cast to open up. I personally haven't tried any of the CG mouses so don't know how they work. I also get a better hold with these 2 gels vs others I've tried. They will last to 3, sometimes 4 days before the next wash.

My routine at the moment is pretty simple. I shampoo/condition, apply gel, scrunch, and plop. At night I do the pineapple because it dramatically reduces frizzes and retains my curls. On 2nd day/3rd (sometimes 4th) waves, I spray the gel spray between my hands and rub onto any frizzy areas. Then I' m done. I have to divide my hair into about 8+ sections just to evenly apply gel so finger twisting is out of the question for me. lol
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
  • joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I also have thick, coarse hair. My hair is some curls in the very front and more relaxed waves in the back, curlier underneath. Still not sure what you consider my curl type as it seems I have alot going on. haha

Have you clarified? This made a huge difference in my hair. Also, do you know your porosity? I personally can not use Garnier products as they worsen my hair. I recently found out it was because of the polyquads in the Garnier products.

Have you tried Kinky Curly Curling Custard? It makes my hair hard and crunchy as it's drying but once the gel cast opens up, it's soft. Same thing with the Cantu Define & Shine Custard. These 2 gels are very different than gels I have tried in the past. I don't know if everyone has this experience but that's how it works for my hair.....If you don't want to wait for the gel cast to open up on it's own, once it is dry, you can gently scrunch it to get the gel cast to open up. I personally haven't tried any of the CG mouses so don't know how they work. I also get a better hold with these 2 gels vs others I've tried. They will last to 3, sometimes 4 days before the next wash.

My routine at the moment is pretty simple. I shampoo/condition, apply gel, scrunch, and plop. At night I do the pineapple because it dramatically reduces frizzes and retains my curls. On 2nd day/3rd (sometimes 4th) waves, I spray the gel spray between my hands and rub onto any frizzy areas. Then I' m done. I have to divide my hair into about 8+ sections just to evenly apply gel so finger twisting is out of the question for me. lol
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file