Henna and Indigo concerns about curls?

KajoKajo Posts: 3Registered Users
Hello! I am new here :D and I am very curious about the whole henna and indigo process to dye hair. I've done a lot of research but still feel like I do not know enough to be convinced to try it without losing my curl pattern :( I currently have a medium-darkish dull brown color. I want to get very dark brown, almost black color. So I figured I would try a 75% Indigo 25% Henna mix. However, even though I would be using more indigo, I am still concerned that I may lose my curl pattern. I have 2c/3a hair, and I don't want to lose those curls at all. I thought about mixing amla in with the henna to let it sit overnight, then mixing the indigo in the morning and mixing that with the henna/amla. Will this be effective and how much amla should I use? Should I mix more amla in right before mixing the indigo into the henna? Will this even prevent my hair from losing its curl at all?I'm so nervous! XD but I reaaaaaaaalllllly want dark hair, I just do not want to lose any curl at all. Plus I hear that indigo doesn't stick very well the first time so I would probably have to do this process every month or so until it finally sticks.

I am also not concerned about losing some of the red color by using amla. I would actually prefer there to be less redness anyway :)

I appreciate any help and advice, thank you!!

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To answer what I know of your questions:
    I believe it's 1:3 amla to henna ratio to prevent curl loss.
    Amla tones down the red in the henna, but only in the presence of indigo.
    Curl loss tends to happen to fine hair and wavy hair.
    Henna and Indigo are both drying to the hair. If you don't have something moisturizing, like coconut milk for example, in your mix, you should almost certainly deep condition afterwards.
    If you're concerned about curl loss, there are two things you could try. One is just using a tiny amount of henna in with mostly amla and see what happens. I did that for awhile and eventually I did get way too much henna in my hair. It's strong stuff. Another thing you can do is use cassia, so called neutral henna (though it will turn grey light blonde). It is similar to henna but not as strong and not permanent. If that straightens your hair, then so would henna. If it doesn't, henna still could but it would at least give you some idea about how your hair responds to these herbal treatments.
    I'm hesitant to try henna again due to potential curl loss, too. If you try it let us know what you do and how it ends up working out!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • KajoKajo Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thank you, naturecat! I think I will definitely try mixing in amla with henna..and maybe doing an amla mask a few days after the henna+indigo. Maybe this other idea will do nothing, but I also though that if I put my hair into multiple tight braids right after rinsing out the henna+indigo, that might help force my hair keep its curl. I really love the idea of dying my hair without using chemicals, but the possibility of losing curls is certainly making me scared XD too good to be true, but I will hopefully try this within the next couple of weeks!
    An amla mask afterwards can help, so long as there is amla in your initial hair dying.

Yeah, I hear ya on the fear of curl loss. My advice, FWIW; start with a minute amount of henna. I made my mix mostly amla with just a drop of henna. If you notice no effect, then at least you know your hair can tolerate a little of it.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • KajoKajo Posts: 3Registered Users
    That's a good idea, just test my hair with some henna before doing my whole head. I will try that out
    Yes, that, but also, try just a little henna with a bunch of amla in the mix. Just in case your hair can't tolerate much of it (as was the case with mine). Best of luck!

3A/f/i
  • stream26stream26 Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have used henna for the almost 4 years and I haven’t seen my curls stretch. I do know some people claim it happened to them and I wonder if there aren’t other variables in play like heat styling tools, hair dyeing, lack of elasticity in hair… Theoretically, henna deposits in your hair which can height it down. But, I don’t see that happening to me. I guess you have to try it and see, I love it. Exept pure henna and indigo will give you variants of brown and auburn like on this pics it's really gorgeous.
    ca5e415e9aab559bf0b47bfff91c94dc.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file