How to care for wavy hair with no products

AlexaWavesAlexaWaves Posts: 13Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey guys! I'm a 2B 14-year-old girl, and I'm wondering if there are any tips for caring wavy hair with only water... My parents don't even allow me to buy conditioners, so getting a mousse or gels or those kinds of products will be impossible for now. Any advice?

So far I've only been washing my hair with normal shampoo (with sulfates :/) and scrunching it with a T-shirt. The waves look quite nice, but they get frizzy and 'messy' sometimes. Thank you :)!

UPDATE:
My parents (more like my mother, actually), don't care a lot about hair. Up until recently, my mother has always taught me to BRUSH my dry wavy hair and BLOW DRY it whenever possible. The bad thing is that I didn't even realise it until recently.

Here is a picture of my hair on a relatively good hair day with the water-only routine I have so far. It's usually wavier though.
- 2b-2c hair
- Low porosity, fine, medium density
- Color is a shade of very, very dark brown.
- Length: past shoulders
- Virgin hair

Indonesian. 16 years old.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Would you be able to make your own homemade products?

You might consider swapping out your shampoo with edible aloe vera gel and vegetable glycerin to wash with. If you use shampoo and no conditioner your hair will get really dry. A gentle shampoo I use is Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Weightless shampoo, but without conditioner it will still get dry.

If your folks would allow you, you could wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Certain conditioners have surfactants in them and make good CO washes.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There is a gel that you could make yourself, using flax seeds. Just tell your parents that you're gonna eat them. Then what you do to make it is: on the stove, pour 2 cups of water and about 2 tablespoons of flax seeds into a small pan. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and simmer it for about 15 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until it gets slimy and still runny but thick enough for the seeds to get suspended in the water. Then you strain it by using some pantyhose. This is how I make my flax seed gel, and it turns out amazing. If I boil it for too long, though, it gets too thick to strain easily. Also it can go bad fairly quickly, so if you want, you could just cut the recipe in half (1 cup water and 1 Tbsp seeds). Also, your parents are crazy for not getting conditioner lol

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • AlexaWavesAlexaWaves Posts: 13Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    naturecat wrote: »
    Would you be able to make your own homemade products?

You might consider swapping out your shampoo with edible aloe vera gel and vegetable glycerin to wash with. If you use shampoo and no conditioner your hair will get really dry. A gentle shampoo I use is Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Weightless shampoo, but without conditioner it will still get dry.

If your folks would allow you, you could wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Certain conditioners have surfactants in them and make good CO washes.

Trying out a more gentle shampoo sounds like a great idea! All this time I've been using shampoo with sulfate, hehe.

Anyways, I'll try convincing my parents for a conditioner. Thank you for your tips!
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

There is a gel that you could make yourself, using flax seeds. Just tell your parents that you're gonna eat them. Then what you do to make it is: on the stove, pour 2 cups of water and about 2 tablespoons of flax seeds into a small pan. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and simmer it for about 15 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until it gets slimy and still runny but thick enough for the seeds to get suspended in the water. Then you strain it by using some pantyhose. This is how I make my flax seed gel, and it turns out amazing. If I boil it for too long, though, it gets too thick to strain easily. Also it can go bad fairly quickly, so if you want, you could just cut the recipe in half (1 cup water and 1 Tbsp seeds). Also, your parents are crazy for not getting conditioner lol

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App

That sounds like an amazing idea! I like the idea of using flax seeds, since it will probably reduce my parents' suspicion. Thank you!
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm sorry that your parents are being unreasonable about letting you buy conditioner. My suggestions would be to try an oil pre-shampoo on dry hair. This might help the frizz and the elasticity, if your hair feels brittle. You put just a little bit of oil on your hands (a few drops might be enough--depends on the hair) and work it into your dry hair. Let it sit for several hours and then wash it out with your usual shampoo. I would use just enough to make your hair look a little greasy and dirty; you don't want to overdo it. A lot of people use coconut oil for this, but others prefer olive or sunflower oil.

You could also try an aloe rinse. After shampooing, mix a teaspoon or so of aloe vera juice with maybe a cup of water (use enough water that you can pour it evenly over your hair). Pour it over your hair and scrunch it in. Some people rinse it out afterward, but when I used to use this mixture, I always left it in--it kept my hair more moisturized that way. It really promotes clumping.

You might enjoy the Science-y Hair Blog. The gal who writes it has lots of recipes. Some of the recipes are here: Science-y Hair Blog: Recipes and Projects. You can also find some under the "More Recipes" tab on the blog.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I'm sorry that your parents are being unreasonable about letting you buy conditioner. My suggestions would be to try an oil pre-shampoo on dry hair. This might help the frizz and the elasticity, if your hair feels brittle. You put just a little bit of oil on your hands (a few drops might be enough--depends on the hair) and work it into your dry hair. Let it sit for several hours and then wash it out with your usual shampoo. I would use just enough to make your hair look a little greasy and dirty; you don't want to overdo it. A lot of people use coconut oil for this, but others prefer olive or sunflower oil.

You could also try an aloe rinse. After shampooing, mix a teaspoon or so of aloe vera juice with maybe a cup of water (use enough water that you can pour it evenly over your hair). Pour it over your hair and scrunch it in. Some people rinse it out afterward, but when I used to use this mixture, I always left it in--it kept my hair more moisturized that way. It really promotes clumping.

You might enjoy the Science-y Hair Blog. The gal who writes it has lots of recipes. Some of the recipes are here: Science-y Hair Blog: Recipes and Projects. You can also find some under the "More Recipes" tab on the blog.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    In the past I've liked gelatin gel, and currently my favorite is irish moss jelly. All edible, so if your parents let you make your own products, these are things to try along with the flax seed gel. I can't believe your hair is that wavy with sulfates and no conditioner. It's already very nice, but it's going to be gorgeous!

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Therese1 wrote: »

Thank you so much for the advice! I should try it sometime. Do all types of oil work? Or would coconut oil work best?
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

In the past I've liked gelatin gel, and currently my favorite is irish moss jelly. All edible, so if your parents let you make your own products, these are things to try along with the flax seed gel. I can't believe your hair is that wavy with sulfates and no conditioner. It's already very nice, but it's going to be gorgeous!
    Hahaha, thank you for the compliment <3! Unfortunately, my hair gets frizzy very easily :/.
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hi, Alexa

Welcome!! Just wanted to tell you, are not alone in this dilemma.

My dad spent entire past year insulting me for trying to embrace my curls.
    he even held me down and clipped a lot of my hair off.
    hi, Alexa

Oh, wow, that's terrible! I hope you're now free to embrace your curls. Glad to know I'm not alone though, since it seems like all wavies and curlies have at least the right shampoo and conditioner :/. My mother can't seem to realize that my waves get destroyed when I brush my hair. Anyways, how did you survive it?
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

AlexaWaves wrote: »
    Hahaha, thank you for the compliment <3! Unfortunately, my hair gets frizzy very easily :/.

It will stop being frizzy once you cut out using sulfates. Some people like the Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner as a CO wash. Maybe your parents would let you buy that instead of shampoo to wash your hair with.

3A/f/i
    hi, Alexa

That's awful. So sorry to hear that. So not cool or acceptable. I hope you are out of that situation very soon.

3A/f/i
    AlexaWaves wrote: »

It will stop being frizzy once you cut out using sulfates. Some people like the Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner as a CO wash. Maybe your parents would let you buy that instead of shampoo to wash your hair with.
    Yay! Glad to hear that :). Can't wait to see my hair after I stop using sulfate shampoo.
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    your hair is beautiful! if that is with sulphate shampoo and no conditioner, i suspect you really have curly hair once it gets more moisture, either way, it is beautiful.

i don't have any product advice, just some thoughts on how to possibly talk with your parents. so it sounds like it's not a cultural thing, nor is it their fear of teenage years, your becoming a woman.

is there a relative they respect who would help out? an aunt, grandmother, cousin.....?????

you can try to educate them about textured hair, how it is fragile and should never be brushed, how it needs moisture.... can you get a copy of, "the Curly Girl Book," by Lorraine Massey, 2009 edition? some libraries carry it, or you can get it online,it should not be more than $10, most likely even less. Lorraine Massey founded the deva cut and was co-owner of Devachan, but left there a few years ago. now she travels around the country doing humanitarian haircuts.

my other thought is that you can remind your parents that you inherited your hair texture from them -- how you are so happy with the hair you have and want to keep it healthy. brushing is old-school and we now know wavies/curlies should never brush their hair. did your mom struggle and then give up on her hair? maybe she can learn and join you on this journey?

i have no idea what your situation is, hope you can find a mutual compromise. if not, in time you will be in sole charge of your hair, it's waiting for you, and it's beautiful now. (if you are only allowed sulphate shampoo, you can water it down and not wash every day to lessen it's stripping your hair of oils).

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know why they won't let you buy it? Are they simply against it or is money tight? The reason I ask is because if you know why they won't let you buy it, you might be able to find a solution.

If the reason for not allowing you to buy conditioner/gel maybe they would allow you to buy the Suave Essentials Coconut shampoo/ conditioner. They are only $0.96 at my local H-E-B ($1 at Family Dollar but could be more or less depending on where you live) for each of the small bottles. The Vo5 Herbal Escapes are even cheaper. They are normally around $0.75 each. If not, maybe they wouldn't mind if you had the money. If they don't care if you use your own money, maybe dig in the couch, rake someone's lawn, babysit, clean someone's house, etc. Or maybe ask if you can just buy the conditioner instead of the shampoo to try a cowash??

There are ways to get creative in the kitchen. Flaxseed hair gel is really good and easy to make but most people don't have flaxseed laying around. Some curlies use aloe vera gel. Gelatin is another way to make your own hair gel.

As far as conditioners coconut milk is an option. Some curlies can use the baking soda/ apple cider vinegar method. It's cheap and usually have this lying around. Some curlies like me can't use the baking soda/apple cider vinegar method as it makes my hair frizzy. But some rave about it so it's worth a try. Aloe vera juice is another option.

For the frizzies, coconut oil but when dry and apply small amounts. Other oils like olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, castor oil, might work. Your hair porosity will determine which oils your hair would like. I would go to the recipes section for ideas on what you might find in your home.

Oh and by the way, you have very pretty hair. :-)
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
    For more information on which oils to use for an oil pre-poo, check out this post from the Science-y Hair Blog: Science-y Hair Blog: Oils – Which Ones Soak In vs. Coat the Hair?.

Some people do use apple cider vinegar and baking soda on their hair, but you do need to be careful with these. The pH of them is extreme--extreme enough to do permanent damage to the hair if the substances are not diluted properly. I know that the Science-y Hair Blog has more information on this. I would read her blog before trying anything with ACV or baking soda.
    To @rbb @joslin2005 @Therese1,
    Sorry for the late reply; I had connection problems. Thank you for all of your great advice!
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIEED <33

Again, thank you for all of your tips. I've finally talked with my parents 2 days ago after I got home from school, asking if I could use natural products to care for my hair (since my money comes from them anyways). My parents disagree with me using natural products, but after some time of convincing and reasoning about the condition of my dry wavy hair, they allowed me to buy something else: C-O-N-D-I-T-I-O-N-E-R :D!

YAAAYYY!! Instantly, I could see some results, especially with my frizz. Frizz has been my enemy since forever, especially since my hair becomes a frizz ball after school. Although I use conditioner now, I still use shampoo with sulfate, since I couldn't find one in the nearest supermarket.

In the evening, I went straight into washing and conditioning, but it was a bit dark so I couldn't take a good picture of my hair. However, I've attached a picture of my hair in the next morning (it's second-day hair, so it's not as wavy as usual and a little bit frizzier than first-day hair, unfortunately).

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE!! All of you have been so supportive and helpful <3.

Cheers!

(P.S. Do conditioners cause dandruff? That's a concern that my mom has.)
    - 2b-2c hair
    - Virgin hair

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i never heard of conditioner causing dandruff. honestly i have no idea what causes it. you can google dandruff and find out.

glad you talked with your parents and can now use conditioner. play around and try leaving some of it in. start with a little, then each wash day you can try leaving more in if it looks like your hair could use it.

as far as the shampoo goes, try using less and adding in more water. maybe another time you can talk with them about how sulphates strip the natural oils from our hair, making it very dry, and how wavy/curly hair needs moisture.

i think you took the first big step, talking with your parents, and got great results!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Yay! That is good news. Your hair looks great! And just fyi, second-day hair typically has more frizz than first-day hair, so it's nothing to worry about.

As far as dandruff goes, in my experience, your sulfate shampoo is more likely to cause it than conditioner. If your conditioner gives you dandruff, I would think it would be more of a sensitivity issue, that you are sensitive to one of the ingredients in the conditioner. I used to have dandruff back when I washed my hair every day with a sulfate shampoo. It wasn't until I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo and cut back on my washing that my dandruff went away. I think one cause of dandruff is that the scalp is too dry from the sulfate shampoos stripping all the oils off.

There is a post on the Science-y Hair Blog about diluting sulfate shampoos, so if you search her blog, you might find some tips on diluting what you are currently using.
    You could also try not using shampoo every time, just sometimes. Yay for you talking sense into your parents. :) Glad you got good results. There is already improvement in definition. I have a feeling you have curls, in addition to waves waiting to come out of hiding.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file