cheaper alternatives to KCCC?

joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
ok, so I love KCCC. I had bought the Mop Top curling hair custard which works alright but my hair loves KCCC. But it's expensive! And I have high density hair so I have to use ALOT. I went through the 8 oz bottle in a little about a month. Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives?
Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
I'm experimenting with the following....
Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
Leave in: As I am, KKKT
Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Cheaper? Good question. I splurge on my curl enhancers (I use KCCC as an enhancer and top with a cheaper gel) and KCCC is one of the cheapest I have. I have KCCC, UFDCM, CRNCM, and various CJ ones.

I do use a cheaper gel for hold... ecostyler is the one I am using atm.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    Surely there is something similar or somewhat close. I would like to splurge but my savy side is kicking in. lol I went from a $2-$3 mouse to a $17 gel. None of my local stores carry it so I have to buy online. It's not that big deal as I have Amazon Prime but the price makes me cringe especially since I got through it so fast. I might give the ecostyler a try. I think I have seen it in stores locally. Either that or go back to making flaxseed hair gel. I know it worked well for my hair. I just got lazy and stopped making it lol.
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Rymorg mentioned UFDCM. It is considered by some to be a similar product (though whether it is varies from person to person). It may be cheaper in terms of amount/dollar even though the bottle is big so not cheap.

CRNCM (also mentioned by Rymorg) is also said to be similar and easier to work with (though my hair hates castor oil so for me it was a bust). But whether it is cheaper, I am uncertain.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can chime in on the CRN Curl Maker. I've crunched the numbers on it since I like it and KCCC and do consider them to be similar.

Curl Maker - 12oz for $22 so $1.83 per ounce

Kinky-Curly - 8oz for $17 so $2.12 per ounce

Kinky-Curly - 16oz for $30 so $1.87 per ounce

That 16oz price doesn't account for the shipping you must pay to even get that size. It's not available offline to my knowledge.

CRN is the cheaper bet, especially if it is a regular purchase for you. You could also use flaxseed gel but you'll need to use buckets of it to get commercial hold.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Re: The flax seed gel and hold, lots of people add other things to it to get strong hold. Honey, agave syrup, aloe vera gel, and guar gum are popular additions; acacia gum, seaweeds, other thickeners are other possible additions. You can also get someone to make it for you (Sweet Curls Elixirs) though that won't be as cheap as making it. Perhaps you can compromise and order an occasional bottle for use when you don't feel like making it; if you average that and DIY together, it should be cheaper than the alternatives.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    naturecat wrote: »
    Re: The flax seed gel and hold, lots of people add other things to it to get strong hold. Honey, agave syrup, aloe vera gel, and guar gum are popular additions; acacia gum, seaweeds, other thickeners are other possible additions. You can also get someone to make it for you (Sweet Curls Elixirs) though that won't be as cheap as making it. Perhaps you can compromise and order an occasional bottle for use when you don't feel like making it; if you average that and DIY together, it should be cheaper than the alternatives.

Thanks! I'll have to experiment. :-) I happened to see Aunt Jackie's flaxseed elongating curling gel under Amazon's customer's also bought when looking at KCCC. Anyone know anything about this one? What about As I am smoothing gel, the Curls passion fruit control paste or The Roots Naturelle Bouncy Curls Cream?
  • ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    joslin2005 wrote: »
    ok, so I love KCCC. I had bought the Mop Top curling hair custard which works alright but my hair loves KCCC. But it's expensive! And I have high density hair so I have to use ALOT. I went through the 8 oz bottle in a little about a month. Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives?
    My daughters uses Cantu Define & Shine Custard $5.97 for 12 ounces at Walmart. Check out Youtuber Edmarys who compares it with KCCC.
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil
    My daughters uses Cantu Define & Shine Custard $5.97 for 12 ounces at Walmart. Check out Youtuber Edmarys who compares it with KCCC.

I was hoping for more info on this comparison! Thanks for the video.

Kayla

Youtube - Website

Awesome! I am going to give the Cantu a try. So far, I haven't found the Cantu define and shine locally but I can order from Wal-Mart online. They have the Cantu brand but my local stores' selection are not great.:shock: I usually have to resort to online shopping anyway. I have a 30 day shipping pass for 1 more day and I'm ordering it! I've never had the white flakes like she was talking about but have seen others can have this issue. Hopefully it doesn't do the white flakes and it works for my hair! If not, I will find a way even if I have to resort to concating my own version of KCCC. :laughing4:

Thank you so much! I tried the Cantu Define & Shine Custard and I LOVE it! I actually think I like the results better than KCCC.

For anyone who is interested;this was my results. It gave my waves very similar results but with a little more bounce, hold, and volume. And the price is amazing! $6 for 12 oz! My wallet can handle the price! The texture was very similar but a little thicker. It did make my hair feel a little stiff when drying but after dry, it felt great. My 2nd day hair was better with the Cantu than with KCCC. I had more volume, and my roots weren't so flat. The Cantu smelled liked Mango with a tiny hint of coconut which wasn't bad but not my fav. The smell would be my only semi complaint. I didn't have any white stuff in my hair like the youtuber had.

For anyone looking for a cheaper alternative, I highly recommend giving this one a shot. I got to looking at the ingredients on the bottle I received and it has all the main ingredients as KCCC plus a few extras. Just FYI, the ingredients on naturallycurly.com are not the ingredients listed on the jar I received. I don't know if they changed their formula but I've listed the ingredients of the Cantu jar I recieved and KCCC. I've colored the ingredients found in common. By the way, Chamomilla Recuitita (Matricaria) is the scientific name for chamomile. Agave Rigida (Sisal) is a specific type of Agave. ;

Cantu Define & Shine Custard- Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Carboxymethylcellulose, Fragrance (Parfum), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea ) Butter, Pectin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Canola Oil, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Laminara Cloustoni (Sea Kelp) Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia (Macadamia) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Hydrolyzed Silk, Silk Amino Acids, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Chamomilla Recuitita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Agave Rigida (Sisal) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin

Kinky Curly Curling Custard: botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Anyways, hope this helps those needing a cheaper alternative or maybe someone who was in a pinch.
    So Cantu basically added Shea butter, oil, glycerin, and protein. The first three additions may explain the softer feel after drying. I see that the protein is very low on the list.

Interesting.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
  • ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    So glad it worked for you. I didn't like it for myself the first time I tried it but tried it again the other day and loved it. Curly hair does odd things.
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file