dry climate routine

wycurlswycurls Posts: 47Registered Users
Hi all, I wanted to share what has worked for me living in a dry climate, and hope to help peeps who are in the same situaiton. The biggest change was to cut gylcerine out. Even in 40-50 dews it doesnt work, maybe its just me. My standards are products that are non-chemical, and gylcerine & protein free. I've found the best oils are pure argan & johoba oil for refreshing & night time. Spraying water or touching my hair makes frizz. Frizz is an issue for me, but I think for me, I just have some, and thats ok. I use alaffia everyday coconut lime shampoo/conditioner. The shampoo is a great lather, the conditioner has no slip, so you just have to adapt or not use it. I detangle with kinky curly knot today leave in, and finish with homemade flax seed gel with some johoba oil blended in the gel when i make it. I work outside, and when i do it sucks some moisture away even in braids ot when wearing hats. IIm outside for hours. But it is better than what it used to be! for dry scalp, pre poo w coconut, rinse with apple cider vinegar/water or cowash with some salt in it (sugar feeds yeast dandruff-something i learned). Have yet to find a deep conditioner and cowash thats chemical & glycerine free. I tried as i am's cowash and didnt like it. It also has some weird chemicals in it.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For chemical free DC, you can try fenugreek (there are a million recipes out there; google for more info) or irish moss. For CO washes, not sure about glycerin, but there's Shea Moisture Co-washes. There are others but I don't remember them (as I don't CO wash). Another compromise (no poo but not CO wash) is to wash with edible aloe vera gel, with optional glycerin as an add in. Some glycerin sensitive people have no problem using it to wash their hair so long as they rinse it out. Then it doesn't act as a humectant any longer.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think that Raw Curls has a co-wash. Not sure if it's glycerin and protein free, though.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Katie81Katie81 Posts: 4Registered Users
    wycurls wrote: »
    Hi all, I wanted to share what has worked for me living in a dry climate, and hope to help peeps who are in the same situaiton. The biggest change was to cut gylcerine out. Even in 40-50 dews it doesnt work, maybe its just me. My standards are products that are non-chemical, and gylcerine & protein free. I've found the best oils are pure argan & johoba oil for refreshing & night time. Spraying water or touching my hair makes frizz. Frizz is an issue for me, but I think for me, I just have some, and thats ok. I use alaffia everyday coconut lime shampoo/conditioner. The shampoo is a great lather, the conditioner has no slip, so you just have to adapt or not use it. I detangle with kinky curly knot today leave in, and finish with homemade flax seed gel with some johoba oil blended in the gel when i make it. I work outside, and when i do it sucks some moisture away even in braids ot when wearing hats. IIm outside for hours. But it is better than what it used to be! for dry scalp, pre poo w coconut, rinse with apple cider vinegar/water or cowash with some salt in it (sugar feeds yeast dandruff-something i learned). Have yet to find a deep conditioner and cowash thats chemical & glycerine free. I tried as i am's cowash and didnt like it. It also has some weird chemicals in it.
    Jessicurl's 'Deep Treatment' is glycerin and protein free, and reasonably low on the chems. I believe all of their products are protein free and not many have glycerin. I love SM high-porosity co-wash (glycerin-free) but it has protein in it, which I assume you want to avoid in your cowash. Not sure what other co-washes SM have but I have really liked everything of theirs I have tried. Devacurl Frizz Free Foam is also glycerin and protein free but I do find that can be a little drying without using leave-in conditioner. JC Aloeba conditioner is also glycerin and protein free, which I use as a LI.
    High-normal porosity. Baby fine and fairly low density.
    2C/3A depending on the weather and what I have done to it!
    Currently experimenting after 2y of protein deprivation :oops:
    No cones, limited glycerin (no glycerin in stylers).

Poos: DCNP, SM high-porosity co-wash
    Cond: DCOC, SM superfruit leave in/rinse out, JC Aloeba.
    LI: JC Aloeba, DCOC
    DC: SM high-porosity masque
    Sealant: Badger Balm argan oil hair oil
    Styling: KCCC, DC frizz-free foam
    PT: waiting for CJRM to arrive!
    HG: still looking.
  • wycurlswycurls Posts: 47Registered Users
    thanks! is your hair on the dry side? foes the jc deep treatment offer slip and use as a rinse out? I can never seem to get enough moisture, and i am thinking about using a dc to rinse out every time. Dry climate, hard water are my nemesis.
    thanks! is your hair on the dry side? does the jc deep treatment offer slip and use as a rinse out? I can never seem to get enough moisture, and i am thinking about using a dc to rinse out every time. Dry climate, hard water are my nemesis.
    thanks! is your hair on the dry side? does the jc deep treatment offer slip and use as a rinse out? I can never seem to get enough moisture, and i am thinking about using a dc to rinse out every time. Dry climate, hard water are my nemesis.
    I actually haven't tried the JC deep treatment yet - I have a sample of it that I am waiting to try. I just know it's protein and glycerin free. I will let you know how I get on! The Aloeba works nicely as a fairly heavy-duty leave-in (at least for my fine locks) and has a reasonable amount of slip, although slightly less than DC one condition.

My hair is pretty dry and also very fragile when wet, which at the minute I think is partly due to protein starvation and partly due to not deep conditioning. I was using nothing but Devacurl no poo, one condition, and frizz free foam solidly for 2 years (from when I first went CG 2y ago!) and despite having some very good days and some hit n miss, decided I had had enough of my hair getting dry and frizzy in the afternoon. So, I am definitely a work in progress right now! I have started using more products with protein (definitely helping) and I have been finding using a teeny bit of leave-in (Aloeba) and a teeny bit of the Badger Balm hair oil, followed by KCCC, is making my hair a lot happier BUT because it's so fine it is literally walking on a tightrope between getting the moisture and not flattening it and knocking out the curl. Products for wavy/fine hair just don't moisturize it.

What kind of hair do you have? Wondering if any of your suggestions would work for me - Wisconsin turns arid in a month or so once it freezes! :glasses8:

I have thick 2c hair that has lots of coarse hairs. Flax seed gel is my go to, and I add johoba oil to it. Ive been using KCNT, but it isnt moisturizing enough so I may try Oyin hair dew. Ive really been frusterated with finding a good shampoo & rinse out. The alaffia built up too much with my hard water. Im dealing with a stubborn dry scalp or bad product residue that doesnt improve no matter what I do. My stylist suggested washing 2x to get rid of residue. I want to try Carina Organics, they have great ingredients. I visited Naturelle Grow on Etsy, and absolutely love her marshmellow root protein free deep conditioner since it really hydrates my hair. Its very thick and slippy which is great. I wish i knew how to make my own products!
    I have never tried this myself so I don't know exactly the method, but I have heard that dilute apple cider vinegar can be helpful for dry itchy scalp. Vinegar in general is great for removing limescale and other buildup as a household cleaner, so very diluted it may help with your hard water problem too?

I have been considering making flax seed gel - can you share the recipe or a link? Do you use it as a DC or as a styling gel? Mostly I just eat flax seeds at the moment!!

Im trying ACR at the end of my routine, to get by as I use up my products that are causing build up! I use flaxseed as a gel, it doesnt offer a hard hold, but I am okay with that, it is more medium. I add 1/2-1 tbsp johoba oil to the end result after the gel is made and shake it up. Ashley's Green Life: How to Make Flax Seed Hair Gel
    Derp, sorry didn't read your first post properly!

Thanks for the recipe - will give it a go!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file