I burned myself

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,647Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I had a minor kitchen accident and boiling grease splashed all over my chest, breast, arm and neck.

The burns are healing, I guess. Most blistered and drained. Now some are like scabby and ripped open with raw flesh underneath...or still scabby & closed.

I bought some otc ointment containing four antibiotics. But I haven't used any yet. The burns are painful and sensitive to touch, and I just don't want to make it feel worse by touching them. Nor do I want to get greasy ointment on everything.

They seem to be healing OK but they are still sore and very unslightly (can't be hidden unless I'm wearing a long sleeve turtleneck sweater).

Is there anything I need to do to make them heal faster, scar less noticeably and stay infection-free?

No, I didn't go to the doctor. I don't think it warrants it...and I just don't have the patience.

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    No advice, but I can commiserate :( When I was 13 or 14, I was making cookies. I preheated the over, and when I opened it to put the cookies in, there was a pan in it. I pulled it out, not expecting any weight and it flipped on my arm, it was full of bacon grease.

Ran it under cold water forever, then used Polysporin (I think, my Grandmother was a nurse so not sure if that was exactly it), gauze and a tensor bandage to keep it clean. Probably not easy to do in your case, but I had very little scarring. Still discoloured if I point it out, but not awful.

Feel better :(
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,634Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    SL, that's horrible!

*hugs*

i would use the antibiotic ointment and cover the burns lightly with gauze.

when they heal some more, you might want to consider silicone sheeting that you can buy from Amazon to help reduce the impact of scarring.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've had very good luck with Vitamin E.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,647Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,078Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, Spider, honey, I'm so sorry!!!!! Sending lots of love, hugs, and encouragement. I don't want to offer any advice because I'm uncertain.

{{{{{{{{{{Spiderlashes}}}}}}}}}}
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,159Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Spider, I'm so sorry! That sounds very painful.

As far as the scarring, maybe you could call the pharmacist at the place you bought the ointment. They might be able to recommend something.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • cailincailin Posts: 913Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've used ointments with silver sulfadiazine. Specifically Curad Silver Solution. Best stuff ever for burns IMO.
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wouldn't put ointment on it; it can get worse and even get infected. I know,because I did this. At that time, I googled what to do and the advice I got from the Mayo Clinic is just to cover the burns with sterile gauze; nothing on them. You might want to go to the doctor with this though. There are prescription ointments that could help.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cailin wrote: »
    I've used ointments with silver sulfadiazine. Specifically Curad Silver Solution. Best stuff ever for burns IMO.

Sounds what I used years ago only it was an Rx - Silvadene ointment.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,647Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You boardies are awesome!:occasion9:

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,452Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Sorry for your painful burns! I tend to burn myself fairly often (I spend so much time in the kitchen!) nothing major. I prefer to use pure aloe gel until the scabs start to get dry and itch I use vit e, jojoba,or argan oil.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Sorry for your painful burns! I tend to burn myself fairly often (I spend so much time in the kitchen!) nothing major. I prefer to use pure aloe gel until the scabs start to get dry and itch I use vit e, jojoba,or argan oil.

You use the aloe gel before the burns get scabby and the oils after the burns get scabby?

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,452Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ Yes. The aloe is soothing to a fresh burn. And the oils help with itching and scarring after the burn has started to heal.
    I've never thought that oils should be put on fresh burns. The wounds need to breath so the aloe helps with pain but doesn't 'smother' the wound. I'm not a doctor, just my opinion.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file