A short but informative video about grey hair and what colors to wear.

jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
I adore the hair style of the woman with grey hair in this video.

Jill Kirsh
--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
--My CG and grey hair progress -  
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
--My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    loved it! i also loved that the model's hair is not only gray, but it is wavy!

for me, the colors i wore when my hair was dark were also cool toned, but now i find i cannot use iight shades as i end up looking like a ghost! i've been searching for a true blue-red top/sweater for years now, all the reds i come across are that orange red.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rbb wrote: »
    loved it! i also loved that the model's hair is not only gray, but it is wavy!

for me, the colors i wore when my hair was dark were also cool toned, but now i find i cannot use iight shades as i end up looking like a ghost! i've been searching for a true blue-red top/sweater for years now, all the reds i come across are that orange red.

I love orange and orangey-reds, but they make me look so sallow. My workaround is to wear them either on bottom (I'm wearing a flame orange skirt right now), or to wear a scarf in a flattering color so that's what's up against my face.

I used to live in black, but these days I find navy blue or grey are a lot more flattering. Not as harsh, I guess.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • PyewacketPyewacket Posts: 13Registered Users
    The video wouldn't play for me but in general I have little to no tolerance for someone telling me what I ought or ought not to wear - or how long my hair "should" be or how it "should" be styled, etc etc.

I wear whatever colors I want to wear. Jewel tones are my preference. I don't care what the season is. Makes it hard to shop in the winter though, LOL! I have NEVER understood why we're only supposed to wear certain colors depending on the season. Its not like they provide camouflage or anything useful.

Were they trying to say women with gray hair should wear only certain colors?
    3A tending strongly towards 3B
    FINE
    High density
    ???? Porosity
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder why you can't play the video. Anyway, if it was simply a video of someone telling others what they should or shouldn't wear, I would never have posted it (except to criticize it maybe). I am not one to listen to what I should or shouldn't do (for my age, my skin tone, my hair color, whatever). She just used a model and held up different colors/hues of scarves to show how grey hair looked with them. It was short but interesting to me.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • MsSofteeMsSoftee Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This was an interesting video, but all I got from it was that I couldn't see any of the differences they were talking about! I feel so dumb about fashion.
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I adore the hair style of the woman with grey hair in this video.

Jill Kirsh

I just watched the video and have to agree, some colors stop working once you are gray. What I was impressed with is how the right color swatches brought out the woman's gorgeous hair and complimented her skin tone.

On a personal level, I no longer wear my brown/beige clothes now that I am silvering. I find those shades wash me out, gives an oatmeal look to my skin. I wish the video would have included a make-up application, this is where I am struggling at the moment.

The woman with the gray hair was beautiful! I think she would look gorgeous in just about any color!

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• stream26stream26 Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for video.
    I have noticed - mainly in magazines and sites too - that more and more women are letting their long hair go grey rather than colouring it. I'm beginning to be tempted to grow my colour out and do the same, emoticon I believe there are undertones to grey as much as to any hair colour -- and some will be warmer toned greys than others. It makes perfect sense that you would want to wear the clothes that flatter your complexion. Sure, grey looks smashing with blue, orchid, teal, cranberry reds, fuchsia, black, winter white, etc. etc
    2-15-650x650.jpg
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,471Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The woman in the video is Robin Smith. She was my role model for when I decided to go silver. I know her from a going gray FB group. Her hair was long and gradually she cut it shorter and shorter. She used to have an angled bob - as do I - but I see now her bob is one length and it looks great on her.

I disagree with the system, and I go by the old "Color Me Beautiful" system, where I WAS a winter even with dark hair and am still a winter. I think the shades we wear as silver curlies is also dependent on our eye color and skin tones. I am very fair with pink overtones, very dark eyes. I need COLOR on my lips. Robin is also very fair but because of her blue eyes, she can wear a much lighter rose or pink tone on her lips.

Interestingly, Jill Kirsch obviously still dyes her hair and personally I think it looks - well, not great.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am very tempted to buy a swatch book from either Jill Kirsch or another site. Anyone have any suggestions, aside from Jill Kirsch site?
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • SojSoj Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have always loved jewel tones and I always will love jewel tones.  But I'm NOT going to change anything I wear just because of the color of my hair!  I have pastels and I'll keep wearing them.  I only consider my OWN tastes when it comes to me, LOL!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file