HOLD product recommendations (2b-3a hair)?

SuziQSuziQ Posts: 7Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm new to curliness, even though I'm 52. I started the no-poo method about 15 months ago (I'm now cowashing) and, surprise!, my somewhat wavy (mostly grey/white/silver) hair started curling about a month ago. I guess it really didn't like shampoo.

I now apparently have low porosity, medium density, 2b to 3a hair, depending on the day. (The attached pic shows how it looks on an average day. Sometimes it's more or less curly.)

I've been experimenting with products over the last few weeks, but haven't found anything that really holds the curls and keeps the frizz down. I'm having to refresh with water several times a day, which works, but then my hair is wet all the time.

I really hate that crunchy feel and "wet" look that so many gels and mousses produce. My hair gets weighed down pretty easily, and if I use much product, my roots start looking gross and greasy.

Also, I'm committed to using cruelty-free products as much as I can. Plus, I'm hyper-sensitive to fragrances.

I know, I know. That's a lot of factors.

Even so, can anyone recommend good hold products for me? I'm extremely grateful for any help!

Thanks!

~ SuziQ

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair is so pretty! (I'm growing out my grey. Grey curlies like you give me hope.)

What about making your own flaxseed gel? It's not difficult and there wouldn't be any fragrances and it's cruelty free.

If that isn't for you, Kinky Curly Curling Custard is a popular choice, I believe it's all natural and it has a lot of hold. LA Looks Sports Gel doesn't bother me, but I'm not sensitive to all artificial fragrances, just some of them. It's also really cheap, though, so if it didn't work out for you, you'd only be out $3.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have used the gel and hairsprays and volumizing foam from Intelligent Nutrients, which I believe are all cruelty free. The gel can leave a hard cast if you use quite a bit, but if you don't use too much, it shouldn't be a problem. The volumizing foam is kind of heavy, but again, I just don't use so much that it weighs my hair down. It does give me more volume. The products do have a scent, but it doesn't bother me (I am another one who is bothered by scents).

Some people on the forum use hairspray as a liquid gel by simply applying it while the hair is still damp. That can provide hold without weighing the hair down.

Sevi also makes a styling gel. I have found it to be good at cutting frizz, but a little goes a long way or else it can be heavy. The smell is very light and citrusy.

At this stage in the game, I think your best bet is to just try lots of products and see what your hair likes. In the end, unfortunately, it comes down to trial and error.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in the same boat as you with commercial products. They weigh down my hair and I also cannot take chemical fragrances. My two most successful were homemade gelatin hair gel (depending how you make it it can be super hard hold), and homemade irish moss jelly. Irish moss weighs down my hair the least. I have the most success scrunching out water before applying heavier hold product. When my hair is wet I spritz in a leave in mixed with water and also a homemade epsom salt spray. Then I scrunch with a towel, then add my jelly either right after or later in the drying/diffusing process depending on how my hair feels. Other than that, with commercial products I'd recommend Aubrey Organics Products, or Max been Alchemy Sculpting Gel, or Intelligent Nutrients as Therese1 mentioned. Those are some of the chemical free ones.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Re the Max Green gels, I have both the regular styling gel and the sculpting gel. The sculpting gel gives lots of crunch and will give the hair some texture once it is scrunched out. The styling gel will create a gel cast when drying, but once the gel is scrunched out, there is hardly any hold. It was very good at keeping frizzies at bay, though.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i like Curl Keeper Gel; it's been the lightest weight product that scrunches out without the wet cast look and it doesn't weigh down my babyfine hair.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• jlperschkejlperschke Posts: 17Registered Users
    Flax seed gel could be an option. I didn't get enough hold but it didn't make my hair crunchy. I've been liking pairing Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee with other products and I've never gotten a crunchy result. It doesn't smell like anything to me and they don't test on animals (I emailed them to verify).
  • SuziQSuziQ Posts: 7Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm working my way through the list to find something that will work for me.

(And I apologize for not coming back here sooner to reply. My daughter has been in the hospital.)
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know it's really expensive, but looking at your (very pretty) hair, it looks fine, and weighed down easily, and the Ouidad Climate Control gel seems like it would be perfect for you. It's pretty weightless, and feels like a serum. I LOVE it, even though it's THEE most expensive gel I've ever bought. Another cheap option us flax seed gel, which has a similar, but different consistency and a little less hold.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • SuziQSuziQ Posts: 7Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the recommendation.

I guess I'm willing to buy an occasional expensive product if it's really going to work. It's just that it's such a big investment for something I'm not sure about.

But Ouidad does offer a 2.5 oz bottle for a more reasonable $10, so I think I'll give that a try.

I'll also look into making the flaxseed gel, since that's been recommended several times.
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cool, sounds like a good plan, $10 isn't bad at all, and flax seeds are like $4 for a bag, which will last a long time :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file