Need help with my damaged 2B hair

jprager17jprager17 Registered Users Posts: 1
My 2b hair has been pretty messed up from excessive bleaching and dying over the past year. I've managed to do a fairly good job reviving it with a leave in conditioner, a trim, and hair masks. However, the two bits around my face are so limp and unable to curl that they really stand out from the rest of my hair. Frankly, it looks pretty silly. What can I do to give that area life again so it matches the rest of my revived hair? For years I hated my curls and never cared to take care of them so now that I want to I'm totally clueless - HELP! xx

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    How long has it been? It can take months for hair to recover curl pattern, and it may never happen if it's too badly damaged. You might have to grow it out and cut it off. (I'm 2.5" into growing out bleach damage, and it is not pretty, but it has to be done.)

Have you done any protein treatments? That helped perk up my curls. Joico's kpak is a popular one, Colorful neutral protein filler can be added to other products like conditioners, Aphogee's 2 step treatment is really heavy duty, but with bleach damage you may need it. You can also search here for "iagirl gelatin treatment", it's an at home protein treatment that costs under 50 cents per treatment. It's unflavored gelatin, water, olive oil and vinegar. (You can probably leave out the oil and you can also add other things, but the basic treatment is just those.)
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I've done the IA Girl treatment. I just use gelatin and water. That's really the best for perking up curls. Any type of protein. Also you may want to consider trimming (you can do it yourself--just make sure you use scissors designed specifically for cutting hair) just a molecule of hair off the ends of those bits. Getting some oxygen into the ends of the hair again can wake up the hair and help restore curl.

Oh, and also catnip tea was/is helpful at adding strength to my hair and preventing new split ends from forming. I used it once/week.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file