hair, dry brittle strawlike- don't know what to do

my hair is 3b-. Now it is incredibly dry no matter what i do. I tried protein, and then I tried going protein free to see if it was the culprit- no difference. I've tried so many different home made hair masks, as well as store bought ones. I've tried following different directions on the internet. no improvement whatsoever.

any suggestions?

could it be the water at my house?

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    welcome!!

might be hard water/lots of minerals in it? shower filter may help if so.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,560Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Did you clarify using a sulfate shampoo? Your hair may have buildup. But yes, if you have hard water, that can make the hair dry. An apple cider vinegar rinse may help that.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    At the beginning of my CG journey I also went through a very brittle, straw-like phase - turned out my hair *hated* the coconut-based products that so many curlies swear by. You might want to check the labels on your current products for ingredients that are not working for your hair. Unfortunately, the only way to find such a culprit is to eliminate ingredients, one at a time, and see what happens. Good luck!
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Echoing what the others said, and if clarifying/chelating/ruling out products with culprit ingredients don't help, lots of deep conditioning is what I'd recommend. Fenugreek is a great natural treatment to put moisture on/in the hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • maryware77maryware77 Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try making use of moisturizing shampoo and conditioner together with Serum. Hope it will help you out in dealing with dry brittle strawlike hair.
  • jenny123jenny123 Posts: 11Registered Users
    I recommend you to use natural oils. I have saved my damaged hair with oils :) this site is very helpful Argan Oil - Golden liquid for hair - Oil And Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file