Could this have caused me permanent hair damage?

cerialkillercerialkiller Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey guys! I have a question to ask, and a pretty bad story associated with it..
So currently as of right now, my hair is in this pretty weird state of different curl patterns all over the place. Most of my hair is around 2c, but the hair along the nape of my neck is almost straight and the hair where my "bangs" would be is super curly, like around 3a/3b.
I kind of wish my hair was just all one curl pattern. When it's shorter it is curlier of course, but once it starts growing long again it starts to straighten out, you know the usual. The weird thing though is that my bangs have never fully grown out, after countless years of trimming and making sure there isn't any split ends, damage, etc, and I think this is where my story comes in.

SO! A long time ago, when I was in 5th grade (I'm in 12th grade now), I was hanging out with a friend of mine at her house, just being kids when she said she wanted to give me bangs in my hair. At the time, my hair was all one length. I didn't really want bangs but since I was a scared child I agreed hesitantly. Then she goes to her kitchen and gets a KNIFE. Yes, a knife to cut my hair with. That was one of the worst decisions of my life and I still and always will regret it, but I didn't have the heart to tell her even though I know I should.
She hacked off a chunk of hair which I guess resembled side bangs??
When I went home I cut the bangs off so I had this area of really short hair on top of my head.
But the hair that has been cut just never fully grew back. I believe that this caused permanent damage to my hair follicles or something??? because that hair has always stayed pretty curly, but it never grows 2 or 3 inches past my chin when stretched out, after 7 years.
There's my story that probably makes you all question me of my decisions, but I was pressured!

Anyways, is this actual permanent damage that I will never recover from? It seems like so.
Is there anything I can do about it or do I just have to live with it?

Comments

• sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    the ends of your hair are dead so I don't think hacking off the end could destroy the hair permanently......new growth would be healthy
  • cerialkillercerialkiller Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sdkitty wrote: »
    the ends of your hair are dead so I don't think hacking off the end could destroy the hair permanently......new growth would be healthy

Yeah, the hair is now pretty healthy, but it hasn't grown as long as it used to be before. It took about two and a half years for it to reach chin length after that happened, but now it doesn't seem to grow anymore than a few inches past my chin.
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    sdkitty wrote: »

Yeah, the hair is now pretty healthy, but it hasn't grown as long as it used to be before. It took about two and a half years for it to reach chin length after that happened, but now it doesn't seem to grow anymore than a few inches past my chin.

Do you trim that part of your hair? I heard somewhere that if you don't trim it, it won't grow.
  • curlylioness143curlylioness143 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hey, I think cutting your hair didn't necessarily damage your hair but ruined your ends. You are better off consulting with a hair stylist to even it all out. The only bad thing I would say from that story is it must have been a poor hair cut! Just go to a salon, doesn't have to be expensive and fix your ends, get a good trim. Other than that, how do you take care of your hair? Did your friend cut near your scalp? Did she pull at the roots? What length are you?
  • curlylioness143curlylioness143 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hey, I think cutting your hair didn't necessarily damage your hair but ruined your ends. You are better off consulting with a hair stylist to even it all out. The only bad thing I would say from that story is it must have been a poor hair cut! Just go to a salon, doesn't have to be expensive and fix your ends, get a good trim. Other than that, how do you take care of your hair? Did your friend cut near your scalp? Did she pull at the roots? What length are you?

I think I take care of my hair decently, I don't use any heat products and I make sure to try to deep condition it and make sure it has plenty of moisture, and I trim my hair too.
    She didn't cut near my scalp but it was around earlobe length?? when stretched out. Since this happened so long ago I don't remember that clearly sadly.
    She did tug and pull a lot at the roots to keep the hair taut while using that dang knife on my hair.
    My hair is a little bit past bra-strap length, but the "bangs" that were cut are about 2-3 inches past the bottom of my chin.
    Just wanted to do a little update on this situation!
    So a couple of months passed and I cut my hair in October to about collarbone length. I made sure that all my ends were nicely trimmed so I didn't have any split ends or such and I do believe that my hair probably changed so much in the years due to the fact that I have such mixed hair, seeing as my dad has stick stright hair and my mom has little tiny curls.
    I still do find it weird however that this specific section of hair is so curly compared to the rest of my head, but I think all I can do is just try to work with it.
    Just kind of a bummer that it can't seem to grow any longer than how it is now, as I was hoping one day that my hair could all be one length.
    If anyone has any tips or anything for trying to maintain my length and help with growth they would be appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file