First Fall as a Curly

curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I started my curly hair journey in May, so this is my first Fall as a curly. I know people talk about changing routines and products with the seasons, but how, exactly? What products do you switch from and to? Do you deep condition more often, with different products, do you use different styling methods? Any idea what I should be looking for?

(DC is extremely humid in the summer and Fall is usually very nice, if a bit rainy, until right around the new year, when we get about 6 weeks of brutal winter- cold, high wind chill, very dry.
CG since May 1, 2016
3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
at home gelatin PT
Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    everyone's hair is different, but i think most curlies might go from a gel to a curl cream for the mid to low dew points, and as the dew points drop, heavier leave ins, more emollients, less humectants. but that isn't a hard and fast rule. you have to learn what your hair likes by trial and error, as long as it is happy, it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As a general rule of thumb, echoing what rbb said. Winter/Fall = more leave in, more moisture, less protein, less hard hold. Summer = more protein, more hard hold. (actually the hold needed is highly variable from person to person whether winter or summer needs greater hold). It takes experience to see how your hair responds to the change in seasons to figure it out. My first winter as a wavy was brutal. This will be my first winter as a curly, but I'm feeling much more confident about it now. The key is tune in to how your hair feels.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    When things start to get dry, I switch to a leave-in that has more oils than my summer one. I also use a heavier rinse-out, again, with more oils. I think last winter I also put a pump of argan oil on my dry hair at night so that it would soak in overnight and keep my hair flexible (my hair gets very brittle in the winter). I was actually quite surprised to see how heavy the products were that my hair could handle in the driest days of winter. I also had great success last winter with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, which is quite heavy for fine hair.

I've been growing my hair out over the past year, and my hair health seems to be changing as time goes on, so my hair isn't super stable...so it's hard for me to give a decent answer to this question. I'm sure that I will have to experiment again to find what works for me this fall!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file