How can i moisturize and seal my twa without runing my wash and go?

mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I need help. I'm trying to make my wash and go last a couple days. But living in Arizona I need to moisturize and seal my hair every night. How can I do this without messing up my wash and go style. My neck is so tired of shaking everyday but that gives me the best definition. But i need to moisturize and soon as i do...the wash and go is ruined....arrghhhh....

Comments

• mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I moisturize with aloe vera juice/water mix. The C is my direct leave in...and the O is my shea butter mix
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I spritz and seal every day although I don't often wear wash and go. I have to be sure I don't oversaturate my hair. I fact I prefer to spray the water on my hand then lightly run my hands over my hair because it helps me control the amount of water better. I like to use a light cream moisturizer the next day. And I make sure to use very little. Applying shea butter every day seems like a lot to put on your hair every day. Have you tried anything lighter?
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
    Hmm no i havent...so use minimal water and product then seal with a olive oil or avacodo oil? That oil works well for me...thing is i want to keep my curls...and touching them to moisturize makes them frizzy...thx for your advice ill try
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hmm no i havent...so use minimal water and product then seal with a olive oil or avacodo oil? That oil works well for me...thing is i want to keep my curls...and touching them to moisturize makes them frizzy...thx for your advice ill try

I am touching but it's more like lightly running my hands over it. Even with the oil or moisturizer I follow the water with, I rub the product between my hands then lightly running my hands over my hair. When I was relaxed I wore my hair mostly as rollersets. I think of it that way. I need water every day but I don't want to apply a whole lot of water to my hair if possible until I'm ready to redo my set. I typically wash every 3 days.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • afrodominican1afrodominican1 Posts: 650Registered Users
    I just moved from the east coast to Arizona so I feel your frustration. I have found that if I lightly spritz with water and wear a plastic cap to bed, I can just shake and go in the morning. The moisture reactivates my products and my hair isn't dried out from day to day. I can usually do this 2- 3 days in a row before I need to start over with a fresh wash and go. HTH.
    BC: 2/16/08
    Second BC: 12/22/10
    Dreads!!! 2/16/2014
    Third BC:3/22/16
    Goal Length: waist length

Princess Tiara, Guardian of the Crystal Heart of the Indigo Seas, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I just moved from the east coast to Arizona so I feel your frustration. I have found that if I lightly spritz with water and wear a plastic cap to bed, I can just shake and go in the morning. The moisture reactivates my products and my hair isn't dried out from day to day. I can usually do this 2- 3 days in a row before I need to start over with a fresh wash and go. HTH.

Well welcome to arizona...where are you...i live in scottsdale. Yes girl you feel my pain. Only thing with the baggy (ive tried this) is im only 8 months post relaxer i big chopped at 2 months post so ive only got about 4 inches of hair....so i cant shake my hair and make a real difference without it being soaked with water. So ive found myself doing my wash and go every morning...which is cool...besides my neck havings some whip lash lol...thanks for your advice.
  • ExMathMajorExMathMajor Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Well welcome to arizona...where are you...i live in scottsdale. Yes girl you feel my pain. Only thing with the baggy (ive tried this) is im only 8 months post relaxer i big chopped at 2 months post so ive only got about 4 inches of hair....so i cant shake my hair and make a real difference without it being soaked with water. So ive found myself doing my wash and go every morning...which is cool...besides my neck havings some whip lash lol...thanks for your advice.

Looks like you've answered your own question...

Until I read this post I was going to suggest that you do what I did when I had a TWA. which was rinse and reapply every day. However, my definition of a TWA is 2 inches or less.

That said, with 4 inches, if you have the hair texture I suspect you have then honestly, rinsing with water -- even if it's a quick dunk under the shower -- is probably your best bet. You might want to see about finding a product or product combination that is reactivated with a quick dunk rather than rinsed away completely. Also, don't rely on just stylers for definition. The shampoo and conditioner you use can make a difference as well. Good luck...
    4b/4c/4a + 20 years + nearly every natural hairstyle including locs = IT REALLY IS JUST HAIR. And I love mine! :angel9:
    this is my hair only picture i can load ..and yes im just doing it daily...you dont think of twas as 4 inches...lol do others??? Its wetting your hair daily ok to do...ive come across some saying its bad to let the hair swell daily. But other nationalities wet thier hair daily with no issues...

Looks like you've answered your own question...

Until I read this post I was going to suggest that you do what I did when I had a TWA. which was rinse and reapply every day. However, my definition of a TWA is 2 inches or less.

That said, with 4 inches, if you have the hair texture I suspect you have then honestly, rinsing with water -- even if it's a quick dunk under the shower -- is probably your best bet. You might want to see about finding a product or product combination that is reactivated with a quick dunk rather than rinsed away completely. Also, don't rely on just stylers for definition. The shampoo and conditioner you use can make a difference as well. Good luck...

This is my hair i can never load these things
    this is my hair only picture i can load ..and yes im just doing it daily...you dont think of twas as 4 inches...lol do others??? Its wetting your hair daily ok to do...ive come across some saying its bad to let the hair swell daily. But other nationalities wet thier hair daily with no issues...

Yep. Hair is hair. I rinsed daily for months at a time and had no issues whatsoever. However, once it got past a certain length I had to come up with some creative alternatives because I was risking extra tangling as my hair shrunk. For a long time that length limit was 4 inches...but then I learned how to preserve my coil pattern better. When my hair is grouped in coils, I don't have as many issues with tangling. That said, there's a length limit to that as well, at least for my hair type.

Looking at your picture your coils (which are cute BTW) seem to be a little bigger than mine. However if it's 4 inches stretched then we have the same challenge with shrinkage, lol.
    4b/4c/4a + 20 years + nearly every natural hairstyle including locs = IT REALLY IS JUST HAIR. And I love mine! :angel9:

Yep. Hair is hair. I rinsed daily for months at a time and had no issues whatsoever. However, once it got past a certain length I had to come up with some creative alternatives because I was risking extra tangling as my hair shrunk. For a long time that length limit was 4 inches...but then I learned how to preserve my coil pattern better. When my hair is grouped in coils, I don't have as many issues with tangling. That said, there's a length limit to that as well, at least for my hair type.

Looking at your picture your coils (which are cute BTW) seem to be a little bigger than mine. However if it's 4 inches stretched then we have the same challenge with shrinkage, lol.

Oh yes its absolutely 4 inches STRETCHED lol I THINK i have about 50% OR MORE shrinkage. So you're saying after 4 inches you began to stop rinsing daily because of tangling issues? I dont deal with too much tangling yet but i try to finger detangle everyday when i re do my wash and go. So what have you begun to do to keep your definition longer? Yes having coils defined definitively minimizes tangles in my opinion as well. Thanks for youre input. I appreciate the knowledge. How long jave you been natural and how long is your hair now? Any pics love to see it
    Oh yes its absolutely 4 inches STRETCHED lol I THINK i have about 50% OR MORE shrinkage. So you're saying after 4 inches you began to stop rinsing daily because of tangling issues? I dont deal with too much tangling yet but i try to finger detangle everyday when i re do my wash and go. So what have you begun to do to keep your definition longer? Yes having coils defined definitively minimizes tangles in my opinion as well. Thanks for youre input. I appreciate the knowledge. How long jave you been natural and how long is your hair now? Any pics love to see it

I've been natural for over 20 years. I started doing what I call "wet styling" (because my hair's a little too long for a literal WNG) about 6 years ago. Prior to that I wore every natural hairstyle in existence including locs. I classify my hair as mostly-4b (think large pen springs). I don't post pics, sorry...

A little over a year ago I cut my hair -- which had reached about APL stretched -- into a tapered 'fro. Originally I kept a lot of my length on top because of my insane shrinkage up there (80%+) but I cut some of it down. I now maintain enough length so that I can avoid the one-length TWA look but not have so much that I can't wet-style relatively quickly. I'd say I'm 8 inches on top right now, which is a lot.

I learned by watching YouTube how to keep my coils defined: Basically, do things that preserve the coils, and don't do things that remove the coils. For me that means applying some form of water every day (usually spritzing, though this week I decided to try the Dickey method of going no longer than 3 days without rewashing), using (gasp) actual shampoo, using conditioners with (gasp) cones, finger detangling pretty much exclusively, applying leave-in and gel on sopping wet hair, and air-drying as much as possible. Depending on what I use I can go about four days tops before redoing.
    Well thats exactly what im doing minus the gasps...lol dickey method ffor sure works best for me. Wow youve been natural for a very long time#!# I tried a twist out today. Turned out good. Any suggestions on ssk...do you think they minimize length retention ive heard a few people say just to ignore them if it doesnt seem like they are causing too much damage which i dont think they are...ive been natural 8 months from a low big chop and have 4 inches and ive trimmed twice so ive done ok but i do have them. Sorry for all the questions but i figure ill soak up your 20 years of knowledge if you dont mind lol
    Well thats exactly what im doing minus the gasps...lol dickey method ffor sure works best for me. Wow youve been natural for a very long time#!# I tried a twist out today. Turned out good. Any suggestions on ssk...do you think they minimize length retention ive heard a few people say just to ignore them if it doesnt seem like they are causing too much damage which i dont think they are...ive been natural 8 months from a low big chop and have 4 inches and ive trimmed twice so ive done ok but i do have them. Sorry for all the questions but i figure ill soak up your 20 years of knowledge if you dont mind lol

It's OK, lol...it's been a while since I've participated in a hair forum. Also I know some folks have strong feelings about shampoos and cones...I've done nearly every hair routine out there and right now shampoos and cones work for me, which is all that matters.

I find that single-strand knots aren't a big deal if my hair is short. Back when I was growing my hair out, I had to pay more attention to how I was combing/detangling and styling once I passed the 4-inch mark. SSKs can inhibit length retention if shed hairs are catching on to them. If I were to start growing my hair out again, I'd probably stop doing wet styling after a certain point and stick to styles that kept my ends mostly stretched. Also, once my hair got to a certain length, I'd wear more protective styles per the original definition, i.e. styles that keep ends hidden.

However, because I prefer to wet-style, I've accepted that SSKs are just a fact of my mostly-4b life. Also, because I'm about 85% sure I won't be growing my hair out again any time soon, I just trim my long layers regularly (about an inch every three months or so).
    Gotcha...well i took your advice...stretched with twists after co washing and i definitely see the appeal in it as far as tangles go. Im going to try to twist my hair and wash a little less...just keep the twist in. Thanks Thanks triple thanks for your help ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file