Best tips and tricks for losing weight

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So many of us are struggling with this. I thought it might help if we posted any tips/tricks that work for us that might help others.

Here' are two of mine. (I've never been able to stick with low carb or low fat - but different strokes for different folks)..

1) Have something to eat 15 minutes to 1/2 hour before a regular meal. That way I'm not so ravenous when the full meal is served. Half an apple and a little cheese is a good choice for this, or a bowl of soup.

2) For me, a baked potato (with a little butter and salt) is very filling and keeps me satisfied for a long time.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have lost 21 pounds over the last few months, just by staying away from carbs that are from bread, pasta, etc. Any carbs I eat come from fruits. It's basically high fat /protein, low carb. I haven't had to exercise at ALL either.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's terrific Annie! Makes me want to try low carb again.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have lost 21 pounds over the last few months, just by staying away from carbs that are from bread, pasta, etc. Any carbs I eat come from fruits. It's basically high fat /protein, low carb. I haven't had to exercise at ALL either.

Yeah, I really need to jump back on the low carb bandwagon. Seems like the only times I've been ~truly slim~ for the past 15 years are when I've been following some version of a lower carb plan.

Not to hijack this thread and turn it into a low carb thread...but the more I read about it, the more I think "low carb" really needs to be very low carb, high fat and moderate protein. It seems the best weight loss results are achieved that way and many ppl fail by not consuming enough fat and/or too much protein (so they never stay in ketosis).

So yeah, I'm going to try very low carb, high fat and moderate protein to lose the unwanted weight. And once I get to my ideal weight, ease up a bit but cut back on dairy (paleo-ish).

But anyway, I'm rooting for everyone and I'd love to hear more tips and suggestions.

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What works best for me is no breads, pasta, rice, potatoes. I eat lettuce wraps & use cauliflower in place of potatoes & rice & zucchini noodles in place of pasta. I eat very little fruit. Some blueberries in my green smoothie. I always have boiled eggs on hand. They will fill me up like a meal would. I enjoy walking & feel this helps. I also use stairs 3 xs a day becuz of the dog I walk in my complex. No matter how good I am if I drink I will not lose any weight.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, yeah, I highly recommend the ketosis or low carb lifestyle. It's hard at first, especially if you're going full 'keto, but it is SO worth the results. I felt like I had the flu for the first 3-5 days, because your body literally has to withdraw from carbs. But eating a small ammt of fruit helped. And then after I lost 20 pounds, I slowly, very slowly, started eating more fruit, and I haven't gained any weight back. I was super worried that if I ate too many carbs that I'd gain the weight right back, but I haven't! But yeah, you can do it! The big thing is being prepared, so that you don't run out of " the good food", and cave in (which I've done SOOO many times lol). Good luck, girls!!

• Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    I count calories....in and out! That's all.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Myradella, I do believe calories count! I try to remain aware of the caloric content of food.
  • stream26stream26 Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been on a 500-800 calorie for 7 weeks. I have lost 14 kgs. You just need to pay attention to your body. It will tell you when it needs protein or carbs. I have cut out most protein and eat plenty of fresh steamed veggies. I started at 90kg and . My blood pressure is down to 112/69. I'm running 7 km a day on elliptical and keep active . I have this one http://jonsguide.org/best-proform-elliptical-reviews/ Cardio machine should be at home if you have not possibility go to gym every day. Drink 2-3 liters of water a day. Then go back to a maintenance diet to maintain. A person needs to ease back to regular meals to let the body adjust.
    And remember you are the best:sunny:
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I started the extreme no carb keto diet last week and it worked for the 5 days but I ruined it over the weekend. It's pretty much impossible for me to socialize and stick to a diet. I am starting again now and hoping to stick to it strictly for about 10 days. It's hard to do it completely over the holidays but I had do something now before it gets too bad.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    @stream26 how are you surviving on such little calories?

I have found that I require a lot of protein and some carbohydrates. I tend to like the right things so food has never really been an issue. I have to exercise moderately to not lose muscle tone and to remain slim. My problem is making sure I eat enough and consistently. So far this seems to be working. I'm finally losing the weight I gained while on steroids for asthma.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Posts: 468Registered Users
    I absolutely believe in never denying yourself. I think it really is all about portion control. Many times, I will get dinner when we are out or even when we have it at home brought in, and I will eat half of what I get in normal portion sizes.

I think the term diet is a 4-letter word! I have found that green tea has really helped me lose weight. However, I absolutely cannot drink it by itself. It's not very appealing to me.

Also, I have cut down on caffeine and soda. That has always been a weakness of mine, but once again, I don't deprive myself, just be smart in using portion control. I had a very hard time coming off caffeine and not wanting/needing a nap; it's like a drug!

I hope that helps some and best of luck!

Oh, also, I drink a good amount of water. I keep a water bottle full of ice and refill it as it melts. I like to drink my water cold. However, too much water will unbalance your electrolytes; so, be careful with that.
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried decaf green tea? Green tea worked for me but it was caffeinated and now I can't sleep if I have too much caffeine in the day.

I have to deny myself or I'll never lose weight Portion control is denying myself a lot! But once I lose the weight, I will be better about my portions. I just don't feel satisfied with half :/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file