Hello From a Newbie!

kellekkellek Registered Users Posts: 16
Hello fellow wavies! Funny thing happened to me recently, I realized I have wavy hair. Not just poufy, straight, can't do anything with it hair. Actual waves. Weeeee! Only took me 30something years and a baby to figure it out.....

So, as a complete newbie and 2 weeks in to CG this is what I am working with.

2a/2b (maybe b??), fine, medium density. Not sure yet about porosity or protein sensitivity yet, but I am going with 'normal/average' for now. Current routine is as follows: CoWash: L'oreal EverCurl 6in1 Balm, Condish and Leave-In: SM Raw Restorative Conditioner, Style: GF Curl Scrunch Gel, OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Mousse

Takeaways After Two Weeks:
1. Not really digging the L'Oreal cleansing balm and SM conditioner together. My hair doesn't retain much slip and it doesn't feel all that soft. Since my hair is usually all about the moisture I decided to keep using the SM as my wash out conditioner and switch out the L'Oreal for Sauve Naturals Coconut to use as the co-wash and leave in.
2. I am not really digging gel for my hair. It gets stringy. I like the look and feel much better with just the mousse. (I think both of these products are CG approved nothing on the labels jumped out at me, but can someone please verify?)
3. I am SO CONFUSED about the squish to condish, plop, scrunch to dry process. I am finally getting the hang of squish to condish to get clumping (yay), but once I plop (usually about 10 minutes or so in a turbie twist) and move on to adding in mouse all that clumping gets broken up. And when during this process am I supposed to scrunch with the microfiber towel and how do I keep that from breaking up my waves?

I have two young kids and I am pretty low maintenance, so I am trying to make this as wash and wear as possible. I also don't like the feel of a lot of product in my hair.

Anywho, on to the fun stuff. PICS.
:angel9:Curly Girl Newbie - started 9/7/2016
2a/2b, fine texture, medium density

Current Routine
Low Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Shampoo
Conditioner: Giovanni 50/50 Conditioner
Stylers: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper/KY Lube, ISO BOuncy Curls, Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls, Herbal Essence Body Envy Mousse, LA Looks gel (working out the right combo)

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome!!
    i think the squish to condish might be in shower. Than gentle scrunching with microfibertowel is post that?
  • kellekkellek Registered Users Posts: 16
    But do I scrunch with the towel before I plop or after? Or both?

Current Routine
    Stylers: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper/KY Lube, ISO BOuncy Curls, Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls, Herbal Essence Body Envy Mousse, LA Looks gel (working out the right combo)
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    i usually do a combo of both techniques :) . but plop when first out of shower
  • joslin2005joslin2005 Registered Users Posts: 43
    Hello to a newbie from another newbie! Your wavy hair looks amazing! I had discovered the CG method years ago but never actually dug in and tried it. But I am trying now. I can't wait to see what results I have!
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Hi, your hair looks great! I can already see such an improvement, it looks shiny, defined and healthy. I just wanted to say that a lot of us don't get very good results with plopping. What gives me the best results is applying all my products to wet hair, and then scrunching my hair (gently /slowly) with a T-shirt. It gives amazing definition, and takes away the excess water, but hardly any product. If I don't use a T-shirt, it makes a huge difference and doesn't look very good at all. HTH, and good luck :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • kellekkellek Registered Users Posts: 16
    Thank you! For the last few washes I have been squish to condish and making sure I really squish out the water. I think I have been taking the 'your hair needs to be dripping wet' too literally. After that I have been adding gel then plopping in my Turbie Twist. Getting excess water out has been helping. I have also noticed that my hair looks better when Get lazy and just throw in gel, brush and air dry.

Current Routine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file