Can anyone help me find a tutorial/steps/ guide to cut my own hair?

I would like to cut my own hair. I dont want to spend a lot of money on getting a good cut for my face shape.

I have type 3a hair (ish) and am just recently beginning to really research and get into enhancing my curls and embracing the curly headed life style. (There's a whole awesome community I didn't know about and I'm LOVING it). I have medium length hair that when curly, falls just below my shoulders. I would like to add some short layers and maybe lose a little length as well to really go all in with the curly lifestyle. The picture of Tori Kelly shows the shape/style/volume that I would like to achieve, but probably a tad shorter and with more defined curls.

So! Long story short... How can I cut my hair to this style on my own? Also, if you have any tips for my particular hair or how to get the "tori Kelly" volume I WELCOME those!!! I'm new on this journey and eager to learn :)

Thank you in advance!!!!!

(Ps. I have also added a few pictures of myself on the first day of using my new natural, moisturizing, awesome, not cheap grabs from Wally World products to give a reference.) teehee!

(Pps. If you don't know who is who, I'm the one with the dark hair. HAHA! Just clarifying :) )

Comments

• wavyannawavyanna Posts: 26Registered Users
    I cut my own 2c/3a, just below the shoulders hair, to save money. I have used ideas from these videos as a guide.

I don't straighten my hair like the girl in this video; i just brush it out before I cut.

This girl doesn't wear her hair curly, but this is a great easy-to pull-off layered cut that looks great with my hair type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQrgRn_dsw4&feature=em-share_video_user

This last video shows more of a Deva-type (cut one curl at a time) cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwf0NejSuPY

I hope you find something helpful here. Basically, when cutting my own hair I start by taking off VERY little length, then go back, a day or so later and take off more length if I like the overall look of the first haircut attempt. I was afraid to experiment at first, but have found that I am much happier with my own haircuts than with most of the professional cuts I have had.

Good luck!

• guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You can also check out Waterlily716's videos about cutting your own hair and cutting your own face-framing/side bangs on YouTube.

If you have the Curly Girl book, it has a section on cutting your own hair as well.

Finally, the blog How To Hair Girl has some DIY haircuts if you know about the ponytail method.
  • guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sorry I just remembered CurlyPenny has some videos about haircuts too on YouTube.
  • emeyers3emeyers3 Posts: 3Registered Users
    This is awesome!!! Thank you!!!!
  • emeyers3emeyers3 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!
  • maniamania Posts: 56Registered Users
    Yeah it is very useful steps of tutorial:occasion9:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file